News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A $300,000 Hemi Charger on E-Bay.

Started by chargerboy69, September 03, 2006, 08:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nh_mopar_fan

The car is seriously over-priced and so what?

The guy is probably hoping to find that one fish out there who has more $ than brains and so what?

The guy is going to be out the listing fee and, if he doesn't know it already, will know that the car is not worth anywhere near what he thinks is is.

I don't see the big deal.

69_500

If the car is located in Louisville Kentucky, I'm suprised that another Louisville native hasn't already been over to check out the car.

Gorgeous looking car. Gotta love origional cars. Especially when its a Charger, and a HEMI.

Chris I take it you guys didn't have this one in your 70 registry?

Troy

This particular car appears to be a one owner, R/T SE, Hemi, with an 8 track and documentation all the way back to the day it was new. Now, how many collectors/museums dream about a car like this? It's not some rusted pile of trash that some guy dug out of the woods and pieced together enough to get rolling like some of the $40-50k junk you see all too often in this hobby. Having said that, I'm not sure why people have such a difficult time understanding the difference between an asking price and a selling price. It's worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. If the seller doesn't get any bites at this price then he'll lower it until he does (or keep the car another 35 years). Odds are, he doesn't want to pay eBay's fees on a $300k car - or even a $150k car - so he'll solicit bids through eBay and then complete the transaction privately. As for the lack of information, anyone who's serious about buying the car wouldn't expect all the information to be in the ad because they would contact the seller immediately. Rarer, nicer cars have been sold with a lot less to go on.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodge freak

How true thats a good way of not paying those e-bay charges. Yeah you would think that anybody who is spending at least $100,000 would go or send somebody out to look at it. What gets me is those homes aren't even worth $300,000 but thats what happens I guess when you get luckily and buy something that goes way up in value. You think he would have sold it back in the 80's -heck he could have gotten $100,000 back then, you could say he LOST money by hanging on to it so long.

Chris G.

Quote from: 69_500 on September 04, 2006, 10:30:02 AM
Chris I take it you guys didn't have this one in your 70 registry?

We do now.  ;) Not even the almighty one (GG) knew about this incredible find.

They're still out there, but since the birth of Barrett-Jackson and eBay, they are coming out of the garages. I'm sure the kids and grandkids who actually watch tv and see these programs had nothing to do with getting grandpa to sell the car.  :icon_smile_wink:

I never had a nice car in my family...ever! Well maybe that yellow Colt we had back in 1980, but that's the only high end car my family has ever owned.

greenpigs

I like the wires, which look like something off a mid 80's 5th ave. :icon_smile_big:

Just because I can't afford the 300K it MIGHT take to get the car doesn't fill me with hate for the people with the money to get it. I'll stick with my plain ol 69 RT and the big dogs can have it, I hope no one restores it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69_500

The all knowing GG didn't even know of the car huh. Shocking isn't it. JK

Its a great looking car. Very well preserved. I hope that whoever does have the bankroll to afford a car like this preserves it and doesn't restore it. I would love to see the car displayed in a Survivor tent at a future show.

Nothing wrong with wanting $300K for that car, doesn't mean he will get it. As far as the comments about the houses in the background not even being worth $300K what does that matter. When he bought the car back 36+ years ago those houses would have been in better shape than they are now, and the car was only worth around $4,500 then too.
As far as the comment on he should have sold it in the 80's for $100,000 I can't think of any cars being sold for the $100,000 mark in the 80's. Not even HEMI E body converts.

Ghoste

Agreed.  427 Cobra roadsters were about the only thing getting that coin back then.

dodge freak

No way-for 1 or 2 years old muscle cars like the hemi were bring big bucks then around 1987 when the stock market crashed so did the muscle cars-took many years but the prices came back just like the stocks did.

Ghoste

Hemi cars just started hitting the 6 figure mark recently.  I can't recall a single Hemi car selling for that kind of money in the 80's.

Dodge Don

I've noted 7 1970 Charger Hemi cars sold in the last year or so.  The lowest price sold for was $84,100.

The highest price was $235,000.

The average of all 7......$150,114

They do go for big money because they are so rare.

Dennis K

One thing you guys need to keep in mind is that ebay can be used as an advertising method as well as a way to sell something. The car probably won't sell for 300k, but it will sell, and to someone who saw it listed on ebay. The high opening bid is probably just a way to fend off the tire kickers. When the time comes to sell my car, I will probably do it the same way. List it on ebay for a ridiculously high price and wait for the offers to come in. Cheap worldwide advertising, and since it won't sell for the opening bid price, there's only the listing fee and no commission.

hemi-hampton

I remember it like it was Yesterday. Cars started going up around 1984, they peaked or maxed out in late 1989-early 1990. Then Prices fell in 1990.  Back at that 1990 timeframe the Hemi Daytona's were getting $100,000. $25, then $50, then $75, then $100. Kinda like now. Prices low in early 90's but been going up ever since & quicker lately. LEON. :o :o :o

69_500

Lets see here I remember HEMI Daytona's going for $5,000 in 1981, then know of another at $7,200 in 1982. One for sale for $10,000 in 1983 black 4 speed car that didn't sell. 1986 HEMI 500 4 speed car for $8,500.

Not anywhere near $100K.

69 OUR/TEA

Let me just say that I love alot of mopars just as much as anyone here,as well as other brand musclecars,but now everyone is caught up in the extreme value rise of certain mopars such as hemis.I can also remember when you saw a hemi car 10-15 years ago,I don't want to say it was no big deal,but it was'nt like,Oh my God!!! Like I also said,because of the first two well off people that started the ego fighting over a car at these auctions,now started a snowball effect in the cranked up figures for these cars,and now has ripped the fun away from the average working man that wanted a good old american musclecar.They should have stayed with the exotic europeon cars,and left these alone.It is just hard to beleive these cars ,just like house values shot up this hard,but yet our pay did not,and gas is going crazy to add to it!!! So guys,build those clones,replicas,recreations,whatever you want to call it,build that hemi car you want,just won't have the code,but you can enjoy it like you turned back time and went to the dealer and bought one.

As for this guy selling this car,by all means I hope he gets that kind of money,because the average guy finally gets a piece of the pie,as that $300 K would make his life alot easier.
      As for me,if its a car that I like,it doesn't matter if it's final value is $5,000 or $500,000 ,not going to get caught up in the craze.With this particular car,I look at it as rare,yes.Survivor,yes.I would fully photo everything,document,etc.,but could not leave it like that,mint survivor maybe,but not with a engine bay that needs  attention.As for the body,you are looking at it in fuzzy pics,get right up on this car and see how bad the body,and factory paint actually are,I would strip it down and make the body and paint real nice.Thats just me.

69_500

Engine compartment or not, I personally would leave the car as it is. yeah its a little rough around the edges. Maybe do some detail work, but not strip it down. Once again though just my opinion.

Ghoste

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 05, 2006, 09:11:29 AM
I can also remember when you saw a hemi car 10-15 years ago,I don't want to say it was no big deal,but it was'nt like,Oh my God!!! Like I also said,because of the first two well off people that started the ego fighting over a car at these auctions,now started a snowball effect in the cranked up figures for these cars,and now has ripped the fun away from the average working man that wanted a good old american musclecar.They should have stayed with the exotic europeon cars,and left these alone.

I absolutely agree with you 100%.  Hemi's then were respected and treated with awe because of their power and legend, not because of their investment qualities.  I've made statements similar to yours many times.

Steve P.

Ok, I'll open the bidding with $50,K.

Homina homina homina homina, 55,55,55 homina homina, 55, 55,,, :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2006, 08:28:47 PM
Hemi cars just started hitting the 6 figure mark recently.  I can't recall a single Hemi car selling for that kind of money in the 80's.

I have several old Mopar Muscle, Mopar Action and other Magazines from 87-89 with hemi cars advertised. Most were asking $100,000 and up. I do remember this back then. I was 15 back in 1989 and was looking for a old Mopar for my first car. The prices were really climbing. I could not afford it making $3.35 an hour as a bus boy. In 1989 I looked at a 68 383 Charger. In rough shape. The guy wanted $6000.00. I bought the same car 3 years later for $1000.00. I will be more than happy to scan these ads for people who can not remember this. . . But this is how it was.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

87-89 and "most" were asking 100k and up? Which issues?  I saved all my back issues from then too.

dodge freak

Well I was 25 back in 1989 and had alot happening in my life so car prices I am not so sure on but I do recall Hemi's going for around $100,000. It was for a short time and only in some places-California-etc. Some people did great others got burned bad cause it did not last. Then when Chrysler decide to bring the Hemi back some were mad cause they thought it would bring the "real" Hemi cars down in price.

Remember back in the late 70's gold was around $800 an OZ. That sure did not last either but some people DID pay that much for it cause they thought it keep going higher.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 05, 2006, 07:15:15 PM
87-89 and "most" were asking 100k and up? Which issues?  I saved all my back issues from then too.

High Performance Mopar June 91. Yellow cover with a green 69 Bee on the front. There is a Hemi 69 GTX in back for $79,000. The prices were already starting to fall. Will have to get into the attic in the garage for my older magazines. This was th oldest one I had in the house. I can still picture the ad I am thinking of. It was a list of 5 to 8 Hemi cars. All were $80,000 to over $100,000. I will find it. .
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

65post

This is the first 70 Hemi charger I have seen with no HEMI badges on the front fenders!
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 65post on September 05, 2006, 08:28:53 PM
This is the first 70 Hemi charger I have seen with no HEMI badges on the front fenders!

There have been a few. There is one in Quebec where the owner swears it's original and the emblem is not on the front section of the fender. No reason not to believe him.

65post

There have been a few. There is one in Quebec where the owner swears it's original and the emblem is not on the front section of the fender. No reason not to believe him.
Yes that is Rene`s B5 car. He has had it since 71.There is another plum crazy 70 here in Quebec also that have the badges in the same spot as Rene`s car .I have also seen 1 or 2 US cars with the badges at the rear of the fenders.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.