News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A $300,000 Hemi Charger on E-Bay.

Started by chargerboy69, September 03, 2006, 08:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Now this is a real surviver. But $300,000,  I do not think so. That sure is a lot of green. And not sure about those white walls and hubcaps.  But still a very nice car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodge-Charger-Special-Edition-Hemi-One-Owner_W0QQitemZ200022858404QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

I wouldn't be too surprised if the bidding had gone up to $300k had they started it at like $50k or something but it's hard to get someone to start bidding at $300k when that's probably the top-end price (on a good day). Zero feedback won't help either.

tan top

what an awesome charger ,much  too  pricey though, but how do you put a price on that ,not as if you could buy another like it .  makes you think what else   could be out there , still with is original owner locked away some place .  whats the old  saying  green cars always survive.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dkn1997

for 300k, I am going to need a lot more than 3 or 4 sentences. and how about some more pics too?

I am not saying that the car isn't worth that much, but if you want someone to pony up that kind of money, at least make some attempt to earn it.
RECHRGED

terrible one

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 03, 2006, 09:10:16 AM
for 300k, I am going to need a lot more than 3 or 4 sentences. and how about some more pics too?

I am not saying that the car isn't worth that much, but if you want someone to pony up that kind of money, at least make some attempt to earn it.

Yeah, I agree. He has a pretty weak auction. If I was selling a car like that, I would have paragraphs upon paragraphs describing everything I knew about it, and hundreds of pictures. It really does make a difference.

daytonalo

Hey guy's , this is what E-Bay has done to the car hobby , come on look at that old sea-Nile bastard with the pimp my ride wheel covers . that car as is does maybe 80 k !

rt green

hey old man, come here and stand by this car im trying to scam on e bay. i'll take your pic for 20 bucks
third string oil changer

TylerCharger69

$300.000??   I have to say this guy is on crack......I've seen Daytonas  that were one owner cars go for cheaper than that.   And the engine compartment...well  not the cleanest, but I know that makes no difference.    I wouldn't pay that much for that

daytonalo

This jackass need's to get back on his lark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to love those wire wheel covers

Ghoste

Doesn't look to be someone who is too serious about selling the car.  More like fishing just in case there is one person out there crazy enough to pay his price.  That or he has totally bought into the auction Mopars are hot. hot, hot hype that we seem to be getting bombarded with from tv and magazines.

69 OUR/TEA

Yup,another guy that watched B.J.,and now thinks his ride is worth $$$$$$$$$$$. Just as I am happy with the climbing values of the era of musclecars,it is also depressing because what you have now are a big group of well off people jumping into this hobby for the invesment and not the desire to own and enjoy.They fight eachother on live TV because their egos take over,and since they have a large bank account,do not care about overspending on a certain make or model,and in turn crank the price of that car way up out of the average mans reach,and also makes the parts go out of control.To think  you have one of these high dollar cars that you seen sell for big $$$$ at B.J or any other high class auction house,yours should be just as nice in the quality of that car,or be a rare model,and have documentation about that car to think you will fetch the big $$$$ of what  you seen.Not to mention that alot of those cars you think sold,really did'nt,the owners bought them back from B.J at the 8% fee.There are people that stick their car on e-bay,with no intent to sell, with a ridiculous reserve ,have their friends ring it up just to miss the reserve,and have the followers say ,wow ,did you see what that went for,as to try and set a market.Go in and watch these high dollar figure cars and actually see how many of them sell.Not alot.Because of this,look at the cars being dragged out of swamps,that are totally wasted that people are either selling or trying to sell.Ten years ago,would never had thought it would be like this!!!!

TylerCharger69

TylerCharger69

Speaking of Barrett Jackson......How about that over 2 million dollar cuda????Jeeeeeeees

69 OUR/TEA

As pumped up by MCG,hemi cuda verts have sold for more than that!!!!!!

Dodge Don

I'd say it's worth around $115,000 in that condition. Car is rarer than a Daytona will ever be.

Silver R/T

for that price I would think he'd hire supermodel to pose with a car...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

myrtle

I really hope that some of you are kidding. The paperwork alone that comes with the car, service records, all that adds up. Plus its a one owner car, un modified, # matching,..
granted 300k is alot of money yeah,.. but I have seen mopars go for alot more with alot less.
300k idunno,.. If it was a 4spd THE YES, FOR SURE!!!!
THE REAL FAST AND THE REAL FURIOUS

TylerCharger69

Well...anyone paying 300,000 for that car needs their head examined.....I don't care if he does have the service records or not, most of which is probably oil changes, tune-ups  and standard maintenance which...well....that's a given, and I'm not going to add those into the price of the car.  Still...300,000?....I think not.

Chris G.

I swear some of you guys are challenged one way or another (silver you have been excused already). That's somebody's grandfather a few of you are calling a crack head and jackass. The fact that the old gent (who looks really cool) has had this car since new and kept it the way he has should be commended. I'm sure someone else listed the car and put that price tag on it. It won't sell for 300K, but I guarantee his email has been full for 3 days now with some heavyweight offers.

Without a doubt he has been offered 150K for this car as it sits. They're only original once, and the rarity of this car just helps whoever is selling the car's, case.

Oh...  :Twocents:

dodge freak

I put a bid on it but I am not ready to be kick off e-bay just yet. :laugh:

Lowprofile

Quote from: Chris G. on September 03, 2006, 05:06:09 PM
I swear some of you guys are challenged one way or another (silver you have been excused already). That's somebody's grandfather a few of you are calling a crack head and jackass. The fact that the old gent (who looks really cool) has had this car since new and kept it the way he has should be commended. I'm sure someone else listed the car and put that price tag on it. It won't sell for 300K, but I guarantee his email has been full for 3 days now with some heavyweight offers.

Without a doubt he has been offered 150K for this car as it sits. They're only original once, and the rarity of this car just helps whoever is selling the car's, case.

Oh...  :Twocents:

I agree with you Chris.......and Shame on the rest of you bitter old ebay hags. Right in front of you is a piece of History, and all you guys are worried about is kicking dirt on the old guy........You should all be sending him emails thanking him for taking such good care of that Beautiful Car. The market will dictate the price of that car............ Yea, the price is high, but again, their is not many like that around anymore. I hope whoever gets the car restores it & shares it with us all.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Ghoste

So if he was young it'd be okay to think the car was overpriced?  These are all opinions and we all get one so I am sticking by mine and maintaining that the car is seriously overpriced.

R2

Did you guys notice the city its in ??
I live in Louisville Kentucky.....wish i knew where it was to have a look at it...very cool car,,,,

nh_mopar_fan

The car is seriously over-priced and so what?

The guy is probably hoping to find that one fish out there who has more $ than brains and so what?

The guy is going to be out the listing fee and, if he doesn't know it already, will know that the car is not worth anywhere near what he thinks is is.

I don't see the big deal.

69_500

If the car is located in Louisville Kentucky, I'm suprised that another Louisville native hasn't already been over to check out the car.

Gorgeous looking car. Gotta love origional cars. Especially when its a Charger, and a HEMI.

Chris I take it you guys didn't have this one in your 70 registry?

Troy

This particular car appears to be a one owner, R/T SE, Hemi, with an 8 track and documentation all the way back to the day it was new. Now, how many collectors/museums dream about a car like this? It's not some rusted pile of trash that some guy dug out of the woods and pieced together enough to get rolling like some of the $40-50k junk you see all too often in this hobby. Having said that, I'm not sure why people have such a difficult time understanding the difference between an asking price and a selling price. It's worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. If the seller doesn't get any bites at this price then he'll lower it until he does (or keep the car another 35 years). Odds are, he doesn't want to pay eBay's fees on a $300k car - or even a $150k car - so he'll solicit bids through eBay and then complete the transaction privately. As for the lack of information, anyone who's serious about buying the car wouldn't expect all the information to be in the ad because they would contact the seller immediately. Rarer, nicer cars have been sold with a lot less to go on.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodge freak

How true thats a good way of not paying those e-bay charges. Yeah you would think that anybody who is spending at least $100,000 would go or send somebody out to look at it. What gets me is those homes aren't even worth $300,000 but thats what happens I guess when you get luckily and buy something that goes way up in value. You think he would have sold it back in the 80's -heck he could have gotten $100,000 back then, you could say he LOST money by hanging on to it so long.

Chris G.

Quote from: 69_500 on September 04, 2006, 10:30:02 AM
Chris I take it you guys didn't have this one in your 70 registry?

We do now.  ;) Not even the almighty one (GG) knew about this incredible find.

They're still out there, but since the birth of Barrett-Jackson and eBay, they are coming out of the garages. I'm sure the kids and grandkids who actually watch tv and see these programs had nothing to do with getting grandpa to sell the car.  :icon_smile_wink:

I never had a nice car in my family...ever! Well maybe that yellow Colt we had back in 1980, but that's the only high end car my family has ever owned.

greenpigs

I like the wires, which look like something off a mid 80's 5th ave. :icon_smile_big:

Just because I can't afford the 300K it MIGHT take to get the car doesn't fill me with hate for the people with the money to get it. I'll stick with my plain ol 69 RT and the big dogs can have it, I hope no one restores it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69_500

The all knowing GG didn't even know of the car huh. Shocking isn't it. JK

Its a great looking car. Very well preserved. I hope that whoever does have the bankroll to afford a car like this preserves it and doesn't restore it. I would love to see the car displayed in a Survivor tent at a future show.

Nothing wrong with wanting $300K for that car, doesn't mean he will get it. As far as the comments about the houses in the background not even being worth $300K what does that matter. When he bought the car back 36+ years ago those houses would have been in better shape than they are now, and the car was only worth around $4,500 then too.
As far as the comment on he should have sold it in the 80's for $100,000 I can't think of any cars being sold for the $100,000 mark in the 80's. Not even HEMI E body converts.

Ghoste

Agreed.  427 Cobra roadsters were about the only thing getting that coin back then.

dodge freak

No way-for 1 or 2 years old muscle cars like the hemi were bring big bucks then around 1987 when the stock market crashed so did the muscle cars-took many years but the prices came back just like the stocks did.

Ghoste

Hemi cars just started hitting the 6 figure mark recently.  I can't recall a single Hemi car selling for that kind of money in the 80's.

Dodge Don

I've noted 7 1970 Charger Hemi cars sold in the last year or so.  The lowest price sold for was $84,100.

The highest price was $235,000.

The average of all 7......$150,114

They do go for big money because they are so rare.

Dennis K

One thing you guys need to keep in mind is that ebay can be used as an advertising method as well as a way to sell something. The car probably won't sell for 300k, but it will sell, and to someone who saw it listed on ebay. The high opening bid is probably just a way to fend off the tire kickers. When the time comes to sell my car, I will probably do it the same way. List it on ebay for a ridiculously high price and wait for the offers to come in. Cheap worldwide advertising, and since it won't sell for the opening bid price, there's only the listing fee and no commission.

hemi-hampton

I remember it like it was Yesterday. Cars started going up around 1984, they peaked or maxed out in late 1989-early 1990. Then Prices fell in 1990.  Back at that 1990 timeframe the Hemi Daytona's were getting $100,000. $25, then $50, then $75, then $100. Kinda like now. Prices low in early 90's but been going up ever since & quicker lately. LEON. :o :o :o

69_500

Lets see here I remember HEMI Daytona's going for $5,000 in 1981, then know of another at $7,200 in 1982. One for sale for $10,000 in 1983 black 4 speed car that didn't sell. 1986 HEMI 500 4 speed car for $8,500.

Not anywhere near $100K.

69 OUR/TEA

Let me just say that I love alot of mopars just as much as anyone here,as well as other brand musclecars,but now everyone is caught up in the extreme value rise of certain mopars such as hemis.I can also remember when you saw a hemi car 10-15 years ago,I don't want to say it was no big deal,but it was'nt like,Oh my God!!! Like I also said,because of the first two well off people that started the ego fighting over a car at these auctions,now started a snowball effect in the cranked up figures for these cars,and now has ripped the fun away from the average working man that wanted a good old american musclecar.They should have stayed with the exotic europeon cars,and left these alone.It is just hard to beleive these cars ,just like house values shot up this hard,but yet our pay did not,and gas is going crazy to add to it!!! So guys,build those clones,replicas,recreations,whatever you want to call it,build that hemi car you want,just won't have the code,but you can enjoy it like you turned back time and went to the dealer and bought one.

As for this guy selling this car,by all means I hope he gets that kind of money,because the average guy finally gets a piece of the pie,as that $300 K would make his life alot easier.
      As for me,if its a car that I like,it doesn't matter if it's final value is $5,000 or $500,000 ,not going to get caught up in the craze.With this particular car,I look at it as rare,yes.Survivor,yes.I would fully photo everything,document,etc.,but could not leave it like that,mint survivor maybe,but not with a engine bay that needs  attention.As for the body,you are looking at it in fuzzy pics,get right up on this car and see how bad the body,and factory paint actually are,I would strip it down and make the body and paint real nice.Thats just me.

69_500

Engine compartment or not, I personally would leave the car as it is. yeah its a little rough around the edges. Maybe do some detail work, but not strip it down. Once again though just my opinion.

Ghoste

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 05, 2006, 09:11:29 AM
I can also remember when you saw a hemi car 10-15 years ago,I don't want to say it was no big deal,but it was'nt like,Oh my God!!! Like I also said,because of the first two well off people that started the ego fighting over a car at these auctions,now started a snowball effect in the cranked up figures for these cars,and now has ripped the fun away from the average working man that wanted a good old american musclecar.They should have stayed with the exotic europeon cars,and left these alone.

I absolutely agree with you 100%.  Hemi's then were respected and treated with awe because of their power and legend, not because of their investment qualities.  I've made statements similar to yours many times.

Steve P.

Ok, I'll open the bidding with $50,K.

Homina homina homina homina, 55,55,55 homina homina, 55, 55,,, :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2006, 08:28:47 PM
Hemi cars just started hitting the 6 figure mark recently.  I can't recall a single Hemi car selling for that kind of money in the 80's.

I have several old Mopar Muscle, Mopar Action and other Magazines from 87-89 with hemi cars advertised. Most were asking $100,000 and up. I do remember this back then. I was 15 back in 1989 and was looking for a old Mopar for my first car. The prices were really climbing. I could not afford it making $3.35 an hour as a bus boy. In 1989 I looked at a 68 383 Charger. In rough shape. The guy wanted $6000.00. I bought the same car 3 years later for $1000.00. I will be more than happy to scan these ads for people who can not remember this. . . But this is how it was.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

87-89 and "most" were asking 100k and up? Which issues?  I saved all my back issues from then too.

dodge freak

Well I was 25 back in 1989 and had alot happening in my life so car prices I am not so sure on but I do recall Hemi's going for around $100,000. It was for a short time and only in some places-California-etc. Some people did great others got burned bad cause it did not last. Then when Chrysler decide to bring the Hemi back some were mad cause they thought it would bring the "real" Hemi cars down in price.

Remember back in the late 70's gold was around $800 an OZ. That sure did not last either but some people DID pay that much for it cause they thought it keep going higher.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 05, 2006, 07:15:15 PM
87-89 and "most" were asking 100k and up? Which issues?  I saved all my back issues from then too.

High Performance Mopar June 91. Yellow cover with a green 69 Bee on the front. There is a Hemi 69 GTX in back for $79,000. The prices were already starting to fall. Will have to get into the attic in the garage for my older magazines. This was th oldest one I had in the house. I can still picture the ad I am thinking of. It was a list of 5 to 8 Hemi cars. All were $80,000 to over $100,000. I will find it. .

--Gerald Ford

65post

This is the first 70 Hemi charger I have seen with no HEMI badges on the front fenders!
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 65post on September 05, 2006, 08:28:53 PM
This is the first 70 Hemi charger I have seen with no HEMI badges on the front fenders!

There have been a few. There is one in Quebec where the owner swears it's original and the emblem is not on the front section of the fender. No reason not to believe him.

65post

There have been a few. There is one in Quebec where the owner swears it's original and the emblem is not on the front section of the fender. No reason not to believe him.
Yes that is Rene`s B5 car. He has had it since 71.There is another plum crazy 70 here in Quebec also that have the badges in the same spot as Rene`s car .I have also seen 1 or 2 US cars with the badges at the rear of the fenders.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

69_500

Wasn't there a 70 HEMI R/T at Carlisle with the HEMI tags on the rear of the front fender? I recall the owner saying they had always been there. Way odd to me.

If you have the magazines then feel free to post up. I just don't recall any cars being near $100,000 until the 90's. I know of a HEMI Daytona that was sold in the late 80's very well optioned car that was sold for $65K and that was outlandish. Same car was recently for sale for $1,500,000. Don't think it sold at that price though. Asking price though.

Ghoste

I don't remember it either, but I never say never.  I do still recall driving a Hemi Cuda vert across the auction block in 2000 that sold for an unprecedented 180k.  Hard to believe the superstar of this mania only went up 80k in a decade.

bill440rt

Chris G., Troy, & Lowprofile have hit the nail on the head with this thread. I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of appreciation by some of the members of this board with this car on eBay. You call yourselves "Charger-fanatics", but have done nothing but pick this car apart.  :rotz:   If in fact it is what it's presented to be on eBay, it is one of the best Charger finds in quite a while.

I live for rare finds like this. Here we have a super-rare car to begin with, still in the hands of the original owner. It has been babied all it's life, completely documented, well-preserved, etc. The original owner, now up in his years, is probably looking to enjoy his retirement. He might not be able to care for the car like he used to. Looking at the background, he's probably not rolling in dough either. If he is, he hides it very well. But, he has this one prize he's cared for since it was new. And he's offering it now, for the first time, to the Mopar hobby for all to appreciate & enjoy. If he can get $300,000 for that car, GREAT!!! I will agree that figure might be a bit much, but that car is EASILY into the 6-figures, probably close to the 300 mark he's looking for. It is probably the LAST unrestored, original owner, unmolested, matching #'s RT/SE HEMI Charger out there, period. There aren't any more. And some of you are complaining because it's green.  :flame: :flame:  For shame. And if the next owner, whoever he/she may be, is able to afford this car they surely can afford to put the correct wheels/tires on it. Gimme a break.

Wake up & smell the exhaust fumes, some of these cars are bringing 6 figures. It's just the way it's become. I personally have been offered well into the 6 figure range for my '70 R/T, & it's only a 440-4bbl. I turned it down only for the love of the car, nothing else. Who knows, maybe that old man in the photo might be ME someday, offering my prize to the next owner who will give it the same care like I have.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I never said I didn't appreciate the car.  I said it's overpriced.  It's my opinion and I get to keep it so I'm sticking by it.  :icon_smile_big:

Shakey

Quote from: bill440rt on September 06, 2006, 06:19:36 PM
I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of appreciation by some of the members of this board with this car on eBay.

It's a '70 - whatd' you expect Bill?   :nana:

Six figure car - $100,000.00 - $999,999.00    :shruggy:

I'd buy and give it a proper frame off restoration!    :2thumbs:

dodge freak

I love Chargers well almost all rear wheel drive Mopars 1960-1980 expect for a few but I don't have that kind of money for a "car". Maybe it be a good investment but storage, insurance its only for "some type of people". Plus its on e-bay, yeah it might be legit, then again it would not be the first e-bay BS car and for $300,000 thats a heck of a chance. This is why people with that kind of money go to Bennet Jackson .

hemigeno

dodge freak

Well thats what people with money do. They want it just like brand new or better. The frame mounts are old , the frame even if it has not a bit of rust looks old, seats can't be as soft and firm as new. Those rich guys buy a car for $100,000 + and then spend a whole lot more to make it perfect and they don't lift a finger expect to write a check.

hemigeno

Shakey knows what I was getting at, and it had nothing to do with whether the car gets restored or not...

:icon_smile_big:

Shakey

Quote from: terrible one on September 06, 2006, 07:59:00 PM
A word. Unibody.

You'd rebody that car?  That's crazy talk!   :image_294343:

Unless you were going to put the body on that '70 Dave Landy Charger.   :yesnod:   :2thumbs:

Troy

Quote from: Shakey on September 06, 2006, 08:13:23 PM
Quote from: terrible one on September 06, 2006, 07:59:00 PM
A word. Unibody.

You'd rebody that car?  That's crazy talk!   :image_294343:

Unless you were going to put the body on that '70 Dave Landy Charger.   :yesnod:   :2thumbs:
Geez, I bet that one goes unnoticed too... :hah:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dodge Don

Quote from: dodge freak on September 06, 2006, 07:43:38 PM
Well thats what people with money do. They want it just like brand new or better. The frame mounts are old , the frame even if it has not a bit of rust looks old, seats can't be as soft and firm as new. Those rich guys buy a car for $100,000 + and then spend a whole lot more to make it perfect and they don't lift a finger expect to write a check.

Damn those rich people and their cheque writing fingers  :pity:

:horse: