News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oh no, Another 383 cam question

Started by Super68, September 02, 2006, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super68

Hi Everyone

I've been lurking around for awhile but decided to finally sign up. I've got a 68 coronet with a 383 and have decided to upgrade the cam in the next month or so. Looking through the search option I've decided to go with the Engle K-56 cam that everyone recomends (just waiting on a quote from them for overseas shipping). I just wanted to know if I would see a big difference with this cam? At the moment my 383 is a G code block which I think back in the day stood for " G, I would like to everyone I drive a big block car but can't afford the fuel. I'll just go with the 2 barrel big block instead" with headers a torker manifold and electronic ignition. Would I need to upgrade the springs with this cam as well?

Cheers

dodge freak

Not sure but most likely  it won't rev past 4500-5000 rpms or so. You might even get coil bind but you need to check it if you can. If the springs are ok for the lift I would break the cam in with the old springs and then after a few hundred miles put the new valve springs in. I have changed them without taking the heads off. Take all the spark plugs off and thread a rope in 1 hole and turn the crank until it stops now you can get a spring removal tool to push the retainer down and get the keepers out. Some like to use air but I like the rope way better if you push on the valve stem by mistake it will not drop like the air way would.

deputycrawford

Wait for other responses but I would say to not only change springs but cut the valve guides down. You will most likely also need an adjustable valve train. Changing a cam can be an involved proposition. While the heads are off, have someone mill .050 off the head or so.I also have the 2 barrell engine. $7000 later it runs REALLY good.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

it will make a good difference , but as stated you may need better valve springs , most stock heads will take just over .500 lift so trimming the guides should not be nessisary

deputycrawford

Chryco, will he need adjustable rockers for that Engle cam? I hear the K56 is about the start of that territory.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

nope I have run it with stock rockers , the adjsutables do have a more accurate ratio though

Super68

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably buy some adjustable rockers in the not to distant future anyway. Can you only buy these cams from engle cams or do other places sell them?

mikepmcs

please share exactly what you end up doing and what you purchased etc....
i will be going with a K56 as well someday.  maybe over the winter.  I'm still looking for the pig i want with sure grip and 3.7's or 9's.  I think that will really make me happy for now.  And the leaves are starting to change in maine already.  I feel a brutal winter coming on.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

deputycrawford

Good info Chryco. Two questions. When should you go to adjustable rockers? Also, When do we meet up at Mikepmcs place and do doughnuts in the snow in his yard?....mmmmmm doughnuts...... :police:

Chryco Psycho

stock rocker will take a ton of abuse , it is a very strong design
basically I use stock until the cam dictaes otherwise But I will be the firts person to put a solid cam in a daily driver too
I be we will be doing donuts in the snow here first , the leaves started to change color the second week of Aug here & are mostly yellow & 1/2 on the ground already here 

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

deputycrawford

leaves yellow...OK    Snow yellow....BAD   

Road trips....GOOD  Now where is my 3.23 pig?........

mikepmcs

Deputy,
funny you should say that.  Here is the ad on ebay for a chunk with 3.23's in it.  The description is all over the place and he says it isn't sure grip if you read through all the poor use of language.  I could swear that looks like a cone type unit to me as per the pictures.  Just thought I'd share with you cause it seems to be reasonable.  The question I would ask him is if you are getting what is in the picture?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-8-3-4-DIFFERENTIAL-WITH-3-23-GEARS_W0QQitemZ290025894079QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

v/r
Mike

max

Quote from: mikepmcs on September 06, 2006, 11:55:25 AM
Deputy,
funny you should say that.  Here is the ad on ebay for a chunk with 3.23's in it.  The description is all over the place and he says it isn't sure grip if you read through all the poor use of language.  I could swear that looks like a cone type unit to me as per the pictures.  Just thought I'd share with you cause it seems to be reasonable.  The question I would ask him is if you are getting what is in the picture?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-8-3-4-DIFFERENTIAL-WITH-3-23-GEARS_W0QQitemZ290025894079QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

v/r
Mike

that's a clutch style suregrip and it's probablly worn out if he had it under a car and it didn't lay a pair of marks, chances are he probablly dosn't have the trust buttons for it either

deputycrawford

Luckily I have a 3.23 pig sitting in my shed when I need it. I just have to move a few things and put it in. I even have 6 bottles of MOPAR brand 90 wt gear oil and 2 bottles of MOPAR friction modifier. Oh, and three gaskets. I am just too lazy to change it. Thanks for the Ebutt add though.

Chryco Psycho

I do not know of anywhere that resells Engle cams