News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Length

Started by JMF, August 30, 2006, 10:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Bit of a weird question but is 208 inches the definite length of a 1968 Charger? It's just that i've done measurements for my garage and the garage is about 1 inch too short, otherwise I will need to look for another garage, I ask this as I know the manafacturers have been known in the past to be a little bit out on their measurements, cheers

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

JMF

Ok cheers for that, 1 inch is going to cost me about £1000 per year

Brock Samson

your not the first guy to have that problem...
wasn't their a pic. of a leangthend garage door?..

JMF

Trouble is the garage isn't mine so I can't go doing any alterations, our garages in England are meant for European cars not 17 foot long muscle cars : )

PocketThunder

offer to pay for a 1 meter extension.. :shruggy:  maybe that will be cheaper than 1000 lbs a month.  ( is that what that symbol means and how do you type it?)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike DC

If you're just trying to store the car for a while, then you could unbolt the bumpers/brackets.

The rear bumper/brackets don't take much effort to remove with just a couple of hand tools.  That might get you the inch you need.
If that's not enough, then the front bumper can be removed too.  But it takes some additional wrenching to get the front valance assembly off in the process.

JMF

Yeah I thought about that actually, how much do you reckon you gain by taking the rear bumper off?

Brock Samson

between the front and rears it should be at least an inch..  :-\ i wouldnt think as much as 3 inches though...  :rotz:

JMF

Yeah I think my current garage is 17ft X 17ft so obviously the Charger length is the same length as the garage, I could get a Challenger or another Classic Mustang I suppose but the Charger is the car I really want

Brock Samson

third gens are shorter...  >:(

JMF

I like them as well but the 1968 is my favourite, the best year for all muscle cars in my opinion

Steve P.

You could let my daughter drive it for a while. She seems to be VERY GOOD at shortening cars these days!! :icon_smile_evil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

You could likely gain an inch just removing the bumperettes.

Lord Warlock

It was roughly 17 feet when I measured mine recently, I didn't count the inches though so will have to believe the other posters.  I was making sure my new garage had sufficient room front and back to walk around the car while inside with door shut.  So I had it built 24 feet long x 22 ft wide.  I have the bumpers off mine already.  I'm beginning to wonder if i can get the grille installed again though.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JMF

Any idea if a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner is the same length, or is the Roadrunner shorter?

Ghoste

68 Road Runner is 202.7 inches long.  About 5 inches shorter than a Charger of the same vintage.

OttawaCharger

Is it a project car you're planning and rebuilding?
Remove the hood, fenders, grill and front bumper and you gain all kinds of room!  :icon_smile_big:
Of course... now you'll need room to put those.  ::)
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

JMF

No i'm after a complete car ready to drive, i'm willing to wait, there's my Charger out there somewhere : )