News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Optimum rear gear for street.

Started by 73chgrSE, August 20, 2006, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I have plans to get a stroker kit for my 400 and go to 470. The car is a 3 spd auto/slap stick. 8 3/4 727. Will a 4.56 gear make the car too hard to drive on the highway? What about a 4.10? I'ld like to keep the slap/3spd.

Ghoste

You're going to get a lot of different answers to this one but at the end of the day, you're the only one who can make that decision.  It has to be based partly on how you plan to use the car and partly on the powerband of your combination.
As a loose opinion, I'd say you'll be happier with a 3:91.  The 4:56 is a pretty serious gear for a street car and with the stroker, you'll have lot's of low end torque which will help to compensate for a higher ratio somewhat.

John_Kunkel

Anything numerically higher than a 3.55 will get real tiresome on the highway.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve P.

Add a Gear Vendor's over drive unit.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Runner

depends on where you live.  ive been runiing 4.57s in my raodrunner ror alot of years. i just put 4.10s in the car and i like them much better.  infact it feels just fine for me on the free way but id lived with 4.57s for a long time.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

deputycrawford

My opinion would be to go no more than a 3:55 gear with that stroker. The average report from the stroker guys is that you will have more torque than you can use most of the time. Many strokers with 3:55's have very good track times and can drive home at 70 M.P.H.  Thats just my  :Twocents:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

phat69charger

I agree with Ghoste, you will get different answers but you will find it hard to make a decision based on what others say about gears, with out the benefit of trying other ratios out first before you settle on one, that's why I always refer people to this link:  http://users.erols.com/dmapes/GEARCLC.HTM  it allows you to compare what you have already to other combinations and ratios, you know the operating range of your engine so it's perfect for checking out the Speed and RPM's your engine will be operating at, if my engine redlines at 8000 Rpm's and I run 4.56's and someone else's engine redlines at 6000 Rpm, the speed difference at redline is not even close, so that's why I say check it yourself.

You can also save the linked page above and it will work without being online.

phat69charger

I also forgot to say that if all of the other factors about different vehicles where equal like weight, transmission, and traction the calculator is a good means to get a ball park figure without going through several rears for test.

And also since the calculator has 8 positions for gears you can punch in different OD ratios in the left over slots to compare Over Drives.

max

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 20, 2006, 03:14:57 PM
Anything numerically higher than a 3.55 will get real tiresome on the highway.

:iagree: i have always had good luck with 3.55's behind a automatic and the rpm isn't to bad on the highway.

daytonalo

The rule thumb one need's to keep in mind , the more torque one has never go above 355 if you don't want to get smoked on the highway above 70 mph by some kid in a souped up honda !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!