News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best cam choice for 360 street motor.........

Started by bandit67, August 31, 2006, 08:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Hi Gang, Mopar noob here building his first Mopar small block. The motor is going into a 72 Charger , auto, at least for now, I think the rear is a 3.23 pegleg.  Plans are to get the car going with the two barrel and headers , and /or the four barrel and air gap now or ASAP. The motor is a 78 model with dished pistons. I had the heads cut about .20-.25 thou. and have plans to run the steel shim head gasket to get the compression up.  The cams I have been looking at are the lunati  Voodoo series,   60400LK, with .454 lift and 250 dur.  idle-5000  , or Purple Shaft, P4452782, .429/.444 lift , 268/276 dur. idle to 5800.  Since this will be a street motor only , which will give me the most torque down low. Thanks for all opinions and thoughts...........PS,  since I have cut the heads , will the stock length pushrods be ok to use?...........John

deathcharger71

my cams power band is 2200 to 6000 and it has no shortage of power at 2200 rpm. i have an isky cam, ill try to find the numbers for you.

Plumcrazy

With a 4bbl and headers and some work on the advance curve, I'd move up one step on the cam by going with the Lunati 60401LK cam.

Just make sure you stay with a carb in the 600 cfm range on top of a dual plane intake.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bandit67

Thanks, Guys, seems I should be looking to move up a level or so.  Very seldom do I take my street motors over 5500 so my thoughts lean toward making the most torque down low for such a heavy car..............will move up.........J

Chryco Psycho

the VOODOO cams work great , just a little milder then the Engle cams either will out perform the Older Mopar grind
I would look at the K 54 with .470 lift & 214* @ .050 or a similar VooDoo grind 

cuda66273

VooDoo, Eye Of Bat, Hair of Frog......Why not ask a real cam engineer?

You haven't given enough info to determine what cam you need.

Call Racer Brown at 410-866-7660 after 2PM EST and get the Correect Answer not an Opinion.

A real Custom Grind Cam costs about $165 and it'll be perfect for the application.

firefighter3931

Quote from: cuda66273 on September 03, 2006, 09:36:43 AM
VooDoo, Eye Of Bat, Hair of Frog......Why not ask a real cam engineer?

You haven't given enough info to determine what cam you need.

Call Racer Brown at 410-866-7660 after 2PM EST and get the Correect Answer not an Opinion.

A real Custom Grind Cam costs about $165 and it'll be perfect for the application.

No disrespect to Racer Brown but those grinds haven't been updated in over 30 years.  :P

There are better grinds out there based on the .904 mopar lifter.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

you are rigth , not enough info which is why I wasn`t really selecting exact grinds more suggestions where to go

cuda66273

Updated in 30 years???

Who told you that???

Jim continually changes and modify's the basic grinds to suit every possible combination to achieve the best possible grind.  Changing lobe seperation, duration, advance ground into the cam or whatever is needed to get the best result, that's what a custom cam grinder does.

On top of that every cam lobe is "Zero Sparked" to give the best possible finish, no shortcuts.

firefighter3931

Quote from: cuda66273 on September 04, 2006, 11:50:03 AM
Updated in 30 years???

Who told you that???

Jim continually changes and modify's the basic grinds to suit every possible combination to achieve the best possible grind.  Changing lobe seperation, duration, advance ground into the cam or whatever is needed to get the best result, that's what a custom cam grinder does.

On top of that every cam lobe is "Zero Sparked" to give the best possible finish, no shortcuts.

Yep, that's all fine and dandy to play with splits, lsa, advancing/retarding etc...but the lobes themselves are the same ones that the original Racer Brown used years ago. The lobe profiles themselves haven't been updated. The newer .904 profiles have less seat timing and more lift at .050 & .200 compared to the RB grinds, from what i've seen. I'm not saying they're bad cams, but there are better out there...inmo.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cuda66273

Where do you guys get this stuff from??????

Unbelievable.

firefighter3931

Quote from: cuda66273 on September 05, 2006, 09:16:52 AM
Where do you guys get this stuff from??????

Unbelievable.

That information is out there if you look hard enough  :scope:

I have a list of the RB cams saved but i can't find a website....wonder why that is ?  ???

The current owner bought the company from the original Racer Brown who is now deceased and is basicly cutting cams using the original lobe profiles...that is what i've been told and haven't seen anything else to suggest that this is not the case.  :P

So, if you've got some type of information to the contrary please post it up....i'd like to see it.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

cuda66273

More unsubstantiated non-factual hearsay.

I love this Internet more BS than any human could possibly wade through in a lifetime, posted daily.

It is sort of entertaining.

firefighter3931

Quote from: cuda66273 on September 05, 2006, 09:57:50 AM

I love this Internet more BS than any human could possibly wade through in a lifetime, posted daily.

Puddup or shuddup.....provide the info then !!!  ;)

The only thing entertaining is your incessent rambling  :lol:

Ron

cuda66273

wil440

Doesn't Cuda66273 run in the 10s with an all iron 318 and no gas and a Racer Brown cam

I'd have thought that's plenty of puttup

firefighter3931

Quote from: wil440 on September 05, 2006, 10:28:01 AM
Doesn't Cuda66273 run in the 10s with an all iron 318 and no gas and a Racer Brown cam

Wil, or whoever you are....you're missing the point. The discussion centered around lobe profiles and what Racer Brown is using for their grinds. That information was not (or could not) be provided for whatever reason.  ::)

Who's to say that Cuda66's car wouldn't drop another 3 tenths with a different cam ? The fact that a lightened racecar runs 10's with a specific cam is not definitive proof that that cam is the best possible choice, or that that cam is the best made.  ;)

The original poster of this thread asked about the best cam for his STREETCAR, not his racecar. I've run a few RB grinds in the past (SSH-44 & STX-21) and know how they behave in terms of idle quality and such. The new profiles idle much cleaner and are a lot easier to tune....less seat timing, less overlap and more lift. The reality is that most of the members on this board are not racers...just guys looking for some extra power under the hood and being able to tune their car with relative ease and not have it idle like a coffee can full of rocks. The Comp XE, XS and Engle profiles do all of this...and more.  :Twocents:

Ron

dodge freak

You ask any cam company and they all claim to have the best cams . In my opinion the best cam is not allways the one that makes the most power its the ones that make good power and last a long long time. If you are drag racing the motor and tearing it down after every few races you may not care if the cam will last 50,000 miles. If you are hoping not to open the motor up for 50,000 miles then a cam with the fastest lift is not for you.

bandit67

Thanks to all for their input. Threads often take many twists as they roll on and I always learn something new. That is why I try to read as much as possible, things to learn, always.  As I have learned , if you have a question, most likely, someone else has the same one. The intent is to figure out what might be the better choice of cams for the current streetcar. Haven't made a final decision yet, but have narrowed some choices down.....thanks again..........John

Steve P.

Yup, your bullshit and a buck will get you a boring cup of coffee..  :sleep:

Quote from: wil440 on September 05, 2006, 10:28:01 AM

Yes, and some 5HP Briggs and Strattan engines are driving some other go-carts through the traps pretty quick too!!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

Holey crap Ron, since you became a mod, you realllllly let (PEOPLE),,, off easy.  I'm sure Troy would suspend your duties for a day if you wanted to be LET OFF THE CHAIN...   

:stirthepot:   :boxing_smiley:  :mrt:   :boxing_smiley:  :slap:  :smash:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Steve P.

I see it like this. You hold the job of a judge. Only you can't hold people in contempt. Only God,, I mean Troy can do that..  :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chryco Psycho

I have never been able to locate any up to date info On Racer Brown cams & with no website in this day & age I have no idea how he survives

Chryco Psycho

speaking of unsubstatiated , why don`t you back up your claims with facts , I can find no good info on RB cams anywhere