News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dakota compression test results

Started by 70charginglizard, September 05, 2006, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Well the good news is that I'm getting and exactly 170 psi across cylinder 1-7
The bad news is that cylinder no. 8 is only pushing out 150 psi.

Now the big question of the day.

Is there anything I can really do about it besides ripping the whole engine apart and putting in new rings.

I AM NOT HAPPY   
:flame: :icon_smile_angry: :flame:
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

That's not really a huge difference. Kelly, try squirting some oil into the cylinder to see if the reading comes up. If the wet test shows an increase then the problem is ring related. If there's no change, then it's the valves. Try to isolate the problem before doing anything....that's my advice.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rt green

third string oil changer

Plumcrazy

I wouldn't worry about it, I'd be amazed if they were all exactly the same. 

Chrysler had problems in the 90's keeping the compression ratio consistant in the magnum engines.  Some would really ping on regular unleaded while other ones would run just fine on it.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

70charginglizard

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 05, 2006, 07:34:30 PM
That's not really a huge difference. Kelly, try squirting some oil into the cylinder to see if the reading comes up. If the wet test shows an increase then the problem is ring related. If there's no change, then it's the valves. Try to isolate the problem before doing anything....that's my advice.  :yesnod:

Ron

How much oil do you put down there?
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

About an eye droppers worth should do it.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Well, the good news is that it's not the rings.  ;) If you want to see if the valves are leaking you'll have to do a leakdown test with the valves closed. This bsicly involves pressurizing the cylinder with the rocker arms backed off. The leakdown tester is attached to a compresser and there is a guage that allows you to monitor the amount of pressure that remains or leaks out of the cylinder over a given period of time. At 5-8% leakage i wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Actually, a 20 psi deviation from best to worst really wouldn't concern me all that much either. See Plum's post above re: later magnum engines.

Ron

Chryco Psycho

15% is about where I would start to worry
run it

70charginglizard

Doesn't make you wonder though. With 170 psi across every cylinder except for no. 8

Something must be going on mechanically. I'd still like to know what.
70charginglizard

rt green

still, 170 is very good. wouldnt worry
third string oil changer