News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Break in.

Started by deputycrawford, August 31, 2006, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

I was planning to change the plugs, then check the wires. Its gotta be something really simple. once I get that figured out, I'm home free. The engine runs very well other than that.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on September 04, 2006, 09:11:39 PM
I am confused by the post you just put in Firefighter. You said you run Rotella in all your stuff. I was only going to run the Rotella for the next 100 miles or so and change it for the VR-1 stuff. This engine hasn't even been half throttle yet so I thought I was safe so far. No worries on the hijack. I like the extra info and the new sources for info. I still have the plugs popping in and out with the firing thing. I have to find the flutter. Then I will be good. The car runs great other than that.

Sorry about the confusion Deputy. Yes i do run Rotella in all my stuff but i stated in another post that the VR-1 has anti foaming additives that the rotella does not. Therefore the Vr-1 is probably a little better for an all out racecar than the rotella....but that is just my opinion and i'm only basing that on the anti-foaming properties that the Valvoline oil has. That being said, i know many who run rotella w/o issue turning 7000 rpm week in week out on their racecars.

I guess it just boils down to personal preference and what the end user feels comfortable with. I will use the Vr-1 in the 68 when it hits the street because it will be seeing lots of track time. The 70 will use rotella, just like everything else i own....clear as mud ?  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

OK Firefighter. I got it (I think).  :-[   Anyway. I ran the first Rotella for the break in. I dumped it and cut the filter. I borrowed a special cutter just for that. I am running the Rotella oil for the next hundred miles or so. Then its to VR-1. I haven't; and will not take the engine over 4000 rpms until the next change.  To answer Dodge Freaks question, I pulled all of my AC  R45S plugs and found a set of colder Champions, RJ12YC. The engine flutter went away completely. I hope the Champion plugs will be ok in that thing. I usually don't use those things. Oh, I smashed my right foot with a large hammer. That will keep it swollen and tender. That way I stay off the gas peddle until I break it in.  :P  Really though. I will steadily run it harder until I change to the VR-1. Oh, Firefighter, I forgot. The idle is great and the engine is responsive at part throttle. I have idled it for minutes at a time ,while timing it, without load up. It starts instantly, cold or hot. Those solid mounts are not bad either. It simply runs awesome. Thanks for the cam suggestions and all the help all of you.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

dodge freak

Cool but if that miss comes back you might have one bad plug wire and when you move it or take it off it gets ok. If so just take each wire off and hook a ohm meter to both ends and shake the heck out of it. The bad one will cause the resistance to change as its being moved.

Steve P.

Great to hear Deputy... Now go put some miles on it so you can get started on the smoke show video.. hahaha..... ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on September 05, 2006, 03:37:16 PM
The idle is great and the engine is responsive at part throttle. I have idled it for minutes at a time ,while timing it, without load up. It starts instantly, cold or hot. Those solid mounts are not bad either. It simply runs awesome. Thanks for the cam suggestions and all the help all of you.

Awesome, glad to hear you've got that missfire issue worked out !  :thumbs:

I'm anxiously awaiting your first track report with the new combo. :drive:

Wait till you rev that badboy up to 6500 !  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I will check the wires resistance if the problem comes back. I will also drive it to the Chrysler Classic in Norwalk, Ohio. I will be VERY cool. That car gives me the Harley feeling. If youve ever driven a Harley you will know what I mean. Burnies will happen soon....I mean will never happen. :angel:

Steve P.

So,,, do you have 500 miles on it yet???????????????????? :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

Firefighter, I will be nervous the first few times that thing hits 6500 rpms. I will half baby it for the first few hundred miles. Then its hammer time. Steve P. I will have the 500 miles on it and be on the VR-1 oil by the time I hit Norwalk Raceway for the Chrysler Classic on September the 16th. I might even run it there. Firefighter says so. He demands a track report so I will have to try something soon. Give me a couple of days to get the feeling of the engine. Then its the speed limit all the time.  :yesnod:

Steve P.

Around here break in time is quick. We have red lights about every 1/4 mile.. :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on September 05, 2006, 11:06:28 PM
Firefighter, I will be nervous the first few times that thing hits 6500 rpms. I will half baby it for the first few hundred miles. Then its hammer time. Steve P. I will have the 500 miles on it and be on the VR-1 oil by the time I hit Norwalk Raceway for the Chrysler Classic on September the 16th. I might even run it there. Firefighter says so. He demands a track report so I will have to try something soon. Give me a couple of days to get the feeling of the engine. Then its the speed limit all the time.  :yesnod:

Don't be nervous...383's luv to rev and now you've got a mechanical cam that will pull hard well into the mid 6's  :devil: Going to Norwalk....lucky DOG  ;D I've been to the last three but this is the first one i'll miss   :-\  Make sure to get some pics !  :icon_smile_cool:

You'll luv that track if you've never been there....awesome hook and prep !  :drive:

I'm seeing a 12 sec slip in your very near future  :scope:  :musik010:

Ron

deputycrawford

I live only an hour away from the track. I hope to meet some of yous guys at the Classic. I'm still thinking about putting it in the show field just so I can get my one run. Hmmmmm. We should get something together and wear badges or something to identify each other.....

No, i'm not going in my uniform......they would just put me to work....lol