News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How difficult is it to rebuild a Carter AVS carb yourself?

Started by resq302, September 02, 2006, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

I am trying to rebuild a Carter AVS carb myself before sending it out to the carb shop again.  They have already had my carb 3 times now and I don't want to send it it someone else only to have to pay another $300+ to have it rebuilt to a concours condition.  I know the rebuild kits are out there and available but I have never rebuilt a carb before.  Is it easy?  or is it something I should leave to a professional?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

max

to be honest something doesn't sound right if the carb has "actually" been rebuilt 3 times already.

i would look at the rest of the combo for a problem before tearing the carb apart again.

resq302

Once it was running too lean, (broken idle screw), then it came back running way too rich.  It idled great but once you accelerated, it broke up all over the rpm range.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Plumcrazy

Quote from: resq302 on September 02, 2006, 08:58:59 PM
It idled great but once you accelerated, it broke up all over the rpm range.

Sounds more like an ignition problem.  What do the plugs look like?

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

resq302

Well, all I can say is that when I swapped a Carter AFB performer series back on, the car ran great.  I want to have the original carb on it though to be totally stock.
Brian

Ghoste

Does it run properly at cruise range?  Are you sure all the settings are where they need to be?  The AVS is a pretty simple carb and if it's been rebuilt a few times already my guess would be that it is either out of adjustment or just plain junk.  The aluminum bodies in them can get rotted and porous if they sat around long enough but a reputable carb shop should tell you that before rebuilding it.
I'm no carb expert by any stretch though so take that only as an opinion.

max

the basic design of the AVS is a simple carb and can be rebuilt farily easy in stock form. the major things to remember is the correct float level and the little check ball under the primary squirters.

alot of guys either for get to put the check ball back in or it drops out and gets lost since it is only the diameter of a #2 pencil lead.

one thing about older carbs is the throttle shafts wear between the shafts and the main body of the carb and you really don't know who has been in it over the years and has changed factory parts like the jets and metering rods.

remember also that on certain year factory cast iron manifolds they used a raised choke body and sometimes this will hold the base of the carb off of the intake manifold ever so slightly resulting in a vacuum leak so a thick carb gasket is needed to make sure the body of the carb isn't sitting on the raised choke.

the rebuild kits come with detailed instructions to walk you through the rebuild and the rebuild kits aren't that expensive, the main thing is to have the inside of the carb throughly cleaned or soaked over night in cleaner and then use compressed air to blow trough the passages.

if you have mech abilty then rebuilding it yourself shouldn't be a problem and since it isn't working correctly your really not anything except the price of the rebuild kit and your time.