News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pics of freshly painted 68

Started by runningman, August 28, 2006, 08:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blusmbl

More proof the world is smaller than I'd ever thought possible...

That's my '68.  :devil:

What it looked like 8 months ago:

All of the progress pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blusmbl/sets/72057594083101141/
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

Silver R/T

looking nice, more and more I want to paint my R/T black
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Blusmbl

I suppose I could answer a couple questions...

I have around $2500 in all paint supplies.  Another $1900 in sheetmetal, give or take.  It's PPG Deltron, I think the paint code is 9305, midniht black.  Same as the factory '68 black, nothing special about it, no metallic in it either.

It's eventually getting an Indy EZ-headed 493 stroker and a proshifted 833.  I installed the Dana/SS springs last year.  Everything I removed from it, and I do mean everything, needs to be redone to match the quality of the bodywork.  Complete new interior, new windshield, new trim, I need to find a grill centersection, etc.

It sucks, because it snowballed pretty quickly, but it'll be absolutely beautiful when it's done.
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Dave22443

Hell Blusmbl, its absolutely beutiful now!  :o

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Blusmbl

I'm genuinely worried about picking it up with an open trailer.  I need a bubble for it or something.  :icon_smile_cool:

I don't have the cash to finish all of it quickly, so it probably won't be on the road for at least another year.  But, the major hurdle has been cleared, the work I know I couldn't have done myself turned out better than I'd ever imagined, and I honestly didn't think I'd ever see this day when I bought the car back in December of 2001.
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

2fast4u

I just love it when a paint job looks like glass......especially when it's Black!!   :2thumbs:

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

runningman

Quote from: Dave22443 on August 29, 2006, 08:46:05 PM
Hell Blusmbl, its absolutely beutiful now!  :o

Yeah I agree, I saw your car before it was painted when he was doing some of the trunk metal work.  I can't believe how nice it looks, I should be bringing mine in within a month or so.  He has already done the parts I had dipped and ecoated...doors, hood, fenders and trunklid.  All those parts are pretty close to being ready for paint.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'm genuinely worried about picking it up with an open trailer.  I need a bubble for it or something. 

hey
are you gonna have a bubble around it when you drive it. sooner or later your gonna have to get the car into the wind. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Brock Samson

LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!  ;D i'd wrap it too...

340_duster

Thanks for the compliments guys.After Nick(Blusmbl) sent me an email about this topic I thought I better register and at least say hello.I am mostly an A body guy, and presently own 2 70 340 Dusters and 2 68 fastback Formula S Barracudas.But enjoy all Mopars ,even though I do work for GM.As Nick and Matt both said I am from Moparts and pretty much do not post very often, but really do enjoy reading and learning from all of the topics that are posted.I have been very fortunate, with my hobby over the years, it has introduced me to a great group of people, and allowed me to put together some award winning Mopars ,that I am extremly proud of.
If any of you guys are looking for restoration help.I would be more than happy to talk to you.
Thanks again,
Bob

;D

runningman

Welcome Bob, I figured you would find your way in here eventually.  I was going to ask you if it was okay to give out your contact info.........AFTER mine was done  ;)

1970440RT

blusmbl, I noticed you still have the holes in the quarters for the vinyl top trim.  Are you going to put the trim on without the vinyl top?  I am doing the same color on my 68 and was wondering how it would look with the vinyl top trim and a painted roof.

AWESOME looking car by the way.  I am painting my car in my garage and if it turns out half as good as that, I'll be happy.

Blusmbl

Thanks for stopping in, Bob.  :icon_smile_cool:

Quote from: 1970440RT on August 30, 2006, 01:53:14 PM
     blusmbl, I noticed you still have the holes in the quarters for the vinyl top trim.  Are you going to put the trim on without the vinyl top?  I am doing the same color on my 68 and was wondering how it would look with the vinyl top trim and a painted roof.

Good eye.  Believe it or not, I'm putting a vinyl top back on over that nice paint.  We fully painted the roof just to add an extra layer of protection so it doesn't rust out like it did before- under the vinyl top was a mess on my car, but most of it was due to a previous owner grinding through to bare metal with a d/a before gluing the top down.  I like how the vinyl tops look on 2nd gens, it makes them look more classy and sophisticated.

Rene- the bubble thing was kind of a joke.  I'm probably taking it down to my place of employment to have a 6pt bar put in it, and it may end up being raced in the NMCA's Nostalgia Musclecar class.  It was my daily driver for years, and even with the nice paint I'm still going to drive it!

-Nick
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

BigBlockSam

QuoteRene- the bubble thing was kind of a joke.   

it reminded me of a custom harley i built. took me 6 months to build and paint. then the first time i took it for a ride a little rock hit the tank and chipped it. i was so pissed. then i realized the only way i was gonna keep the bikes paint perfect was to keep it in my living room and not ride it. i like that your gonna run the car. ya gotta enjoy them. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

THE CHARGER PUNK

SWEET CAR DUDE!!!!!cant go wrong with a triple black 4spd 68 charger r/t,isnt it ironic that the 1st charger ever 2 see the big screen was the toughest combination for the charger of all???? coincidence??? i think not.- :icon_smile_big:-MATT

hemi-hampton

Blusmbl or 340 Duster (Bob). I have one Question. How many hours total did it take to complete this cars Bodywork & Paint? 400 hours? 600 hours? 800 hours? More? Let me know? Curious? THANKS, LEON.

fastback

Looks Great!
Where do I get in line for the next resto?
Nothing like a Black 68.

hemi-hampton

I guess my last Question was a real thread killer, Never heard back from anybody. If the hours Spent is Top Secret, just e-mail me the answer at hemihampton@wowway.com. I wont tell. LEON.

Blusmbl

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 30, 2006, 11:18:27 PM
Blusmbl or 340 Duster (Bob). I have one Question. How many hours total did it take to complete this cars Bodywork & Paint? 400 hours? 600 hours? 800 hours? More? Let me know? Curious? THANKS, LEON.

A fair amount.  If you look at my flickr site (flickr.com/photos/blusmbl) you'll get a decent idea of how much work went into the car. Mini-tubs, decklid, trunk gutter, vinyl top, filler panels, you name it.  None of the aftermarket panels fit worth a crap, either.

Rene- thanks man. After all, it is just a car. It does have some really nice paint though. ;)  If you don't drive 'em, what's the point of owning them?

Matt- you know it.  I don't think there's a meaner, more menacing-looking musclecar ever made than a triple black '68 Charger. That's why it's black.  If I walked into a car dealer in 1968, I'd order it triple black, no questions asked.
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

hemi-hampton

Blusmbl, Let me rephrase my Question. How much did this body work & black paint job cost you? $10,000? $15,000? $20,000? Or did I just kill this Thread again??? LEON. ::) ???

Blusmbl

Answer: D, none of the above.  :icon_smile_cool:

I'd rather not disclose it, I work very, very hard for my $$$ and I was more than pleased with what I spent and the final product.  That fair?

I will say it was nowhere near $20k.
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram