News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best and worst batteries

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 28, 2006, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Anyone have any suggestions on what brands to get and what to stay away from.
THis is going in a 440 car with small stereo, no special amps or anything.

Sinister68

Worst batteries: Die Hard.  When I used to work as a mechanic, the only batteries that I came across that exploded (one of which exploded in front of me) were the Sears Die Hard batteries.  :icon_smile_angry:

Best batteries: So far, the Optima red top battery has been execellent.  :yesnod:
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Wakko

Optima Red Top or bust.  Interstate makes a good battery though.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

resq302

Always had good luck with the interstate batteries.   Have had really bad luck lately with the Antique Auto Batteries.  They basicaly would last to the day the warranty runs out.  A day after, you are screwed.  That happened to me twice with the Antique Auto Batteries.  Never again.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

:iagree:
In regular batteries I run nothing but Interstate; Optimas are probably the best but are more expensive.

I've also had terrible luck with the repop Antique batteries.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chryco Psycho

I have had a Red Top Optima in my Cummins for 10 years , yes they are about  60% more expensive but when they last for 10+ years they are the best deal
lead acid are the worst 

Silver R/T

whatever brand comes stock in chevy s-10's. They always cause problems
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

myk

I know the Diehards aren't well liked, but I've got Diehards in all 3 cars and the youngest one is 5 years old.  The one in the Charger I had since '95 but I decided to change it out last year as a measure of safety...

Ghoste

I've been noticing at shows more recently a lot of people using an Optima and putting one of those fake antique style shells over top of it.  I like that idea and I think that is what I'll end up doing for my own car.

resq302

Ghoste,

I tried that idea with my old antique auto battery after I gutted it.  Optima does not have a battery that is small and thin enough to fit inside the original style casing.  You can go with something about the size of a motorcycle battery but the cranking amps are almost half of what the correct rated battery should be.  I just gave up and went with a new Mopar 6 yr battery.  At least it is still Mopar under the hood.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Somebody must make a case that looks like the old one but fits the Optima then because I have seen it.  I don't know the size so I suppose there could be some folks out there using the motorcycle battery?

resq302

Ghoste,

It is not a true motorcycle battery, just about the same size as one, very similar in size to a lawn tractor/mower batterty.  The place in the town that I work has a battery only store called Batteries Plus.  I brought them my shell of the old Antique Auto battery and they took out the Optima size chart with size specs and the could not get or even locate an Optima battery that would fit.  They did say they had some smaller, less cranking amps, gel cell batteries that could be mounted on any angle but the problem was the cranking amps were only in the mid 300's to 400's range.  If I remember correctly, the factory sized battery had something like 790 cca.
Brian

Ghoste

Well I'm going to be watching more closely at the shows now.  I'll have to find out either which battery they are using or where they got the case.

MorePwr

Interstate and Delco make great batterys. Exide makes junk.

I bought my optima red top off the interstate truck....So I'm thinking the two companys have merged or they always have been built by interstate?????

jmanscharger

Kirkland 100 month batteries run $54 from Price Costco. They go bad on me within three years and they replace for free, pro-rated after that. My cars still kill them, but great warranty.
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

smokinrt

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2006, 11:22:09 PM
Somebody must make a case that looks like the old one but fits the Optima then because I have seen it.  I don't know the size so I suppose there could be some folks out there using the motorcycle battery?
The battery cover company is called Toppers, you can find them on the net, they also make post extenders if needed.

Good luck
smokinrt
bryan

smokinrt

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on August 28, 2006, 06:55:32 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on what brands to get and what to stay away from.
THis is going in a 440 car with small stereo, no special amps or anything.
If your looking for exact match, look Delco, Mopar

Schuler

I've had good luck with mopar batteries. They look good on a mopar too an come with a good warrenty. Worst I ever had was an everstart (walmart) for the boat. I set it down and it started leaking wrecking a new jacket and some carpet on the boat. One came in my Jeep too and when it died (fine the day before) it wouldn't take a jump and stay running.
-Zach Schuler
1969 Charger RT/SE 14.091 @ 98.25 (spinning)
1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 16.057 @ 84
1956 D-100 Pickup
http://www.cardomain.com/id/schuler