News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Uh-oh. Rebody R/T on its way. Sold for $244.50

Started by bull, August 28, 2006, 03:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-Dodge-Charger-Dash-RT-VIN-Tag-as-well_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140720QQihZ004QQitemZ140023466216QQrdZ1

The dude is selling a dash frame with the VIN out of an R/T. Is this even allowed by Ebay? Someone write down XS29L9B267963 real quick and put it somewhere safe.

69charger2002

he even advertises it as a rebody-able frame, and that seems to be his motive for selling it.. sad
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

PocketThunder

He is 45 minutes East of me, i asked him if he has the rest of the car that the dash was out of.  We'll see if they write back.  I'll be going past there this weekend.  Maybe i can stop in and take a look see...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

6pkrunner

Even though it is highly illegal, eBay is a bit lax, plus swamped with these scams. For everyone they shut down, three pop up.

derailed

Quote from: 6pkrunner on August 28, 2006, 03:56:48 PM
Even though it is highly illegal, eBay is a bit lax, plus swamped with these scams. For everyone they shut down, three pop up.
:iagree: I think all in all they do a pretty good job policing the sight but they are swamped with this kind of nonesense. They are usually pretty good about removing it when brought to there attention.

bull

If you guys want to make a real R/T out of your 318 car you'd better hurry cause I just turned they guy in. :bawling: :nana: :nana: Then I sent him this: You know it's illegal to sell a VIN tag don't you? I don't think it helps your case that you're actually encouraging people to make an R/T out of a non-R/T Charger either.

Shakey

Looks like a nice dash frame.

The stoner looks like he's sayin' "c'mon paw, take the picture I gotsta pinch a loaf".

Also, if someone already has an R/T - is it a crime?   :shruggy:

bull

Silver R/T

git'r' done daddy o, we gonna have warm meals tonigh'
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

I reported him too.  also sent him a really "friendly" email
RECHRGED

hemi-hampton

Looks like the wrong round headed pop rivets in there already instead of the rosette head or octogon shaped head. LEON. :icon_smile_sad: :flame: :icon_smile_angry: :'( :icon_smile_dissapprove: :rotz:

Alaskan_TA

Hey guys,
I have a few comments on this just for future reference if I may?

1. When you see auction like this, PLEASE do not report them to Ebay. These type auctions are against Ebay's rules, that is true. But, All Ebay will do is close the auction.

2. Do NOT contact the seller at all. If you notify Ebay, or contact the seller, the auction can disappear and the "evidence" vanishes. The longer the auction stays up unedited, the better chance the law has to get to the guy with a search warrant.

I have a contact within law enforcement that specializes in VIN fraud. If you see an auction like this in the future, please copy and paste the link and email it to me. I will gladly report it. The guys that do this need a visit from the law enforcement agency in their area, if they spend a little time in jail for what they do the hobby will be a better place for all of us while they are "away".

Thanks for listening!  :yesnod:

Barry

JimShine

8WHEELER

I have seen 6 or 7 dash housings sell on ebay, one or two actually had an XS Vin they said. I have never seen
anybody have a problem with it. Really, if its a 318 car who cares if it has a Vin with an XP? you still need a fender
tag and body numbers. I know a guy that sold a XS dash frame a few years ago, he had no problems, he did
not come out and say HEY MAKE A CLONE or anything thats for sure, just that there was a Vin tag still there.

Are you saying that even if somebody sells a housing with a 318 Vin that its against the LAW?
People are just to lazy to take it off, and with an XP car who cares.

If it is againts the law, he is right they will just lock it right away and he will never get cought, or he will
cancel it before it can be seen

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

blackcharger

OK, so what do you do with a dash frame you want to sell? Take the VIN tag off and destroy it?I have a couple from long gone parts cars, with no paperwork.

Shakey

Quote from: blackcharger on August 29, 2006, 07:22:29 AM
OK, so what do you do with a dash frame you want to sell? Take the VIN tag off and destroy it?I have a couple from long gone parts cars, with no paperwork.

Better be careful - they'll sick the cops on ya!   ::)

Chris G.

I think the reason this auction is still running, is because he is doing nothing illegal. He edited his description so it sounds like he just wants to sell a dash. I can't say for sure, but as long as you are selling the dash frame with the tag, it is OK to do. If you just advertise a tag, then it qualifies as illegal. At least that was the impression I was under. The guy selling really isn't the bad guy. It's the guy who buys it and puts the tag on something else that is.  :Twocents:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dkn1997

Quote from: 8WHEELER on August 29, 2006, 12:52:40 AM
he did
not come out and say HEY MAKE A CLONE or anything thats for sure, just that there was a Vin tag still there.

Dan

The problem is that he actually did go out of his way to point out the vin and put a closeup of it in there too.  He also did come right out and say that you can make an rt out of a non rt car, so that shows he is not ignorant and that he knows the difference.

He changed the description between yesterday and today and deleted that vin picture too.  before he was outright encouraging fraud, but after the slew of nasty emails he got, he probably changed his tune
RECHRGED

bull

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 29, 2006, 11:47:52 AM
he did

Dan

The problem is that he actually did go out of his way to point out the vin and put a closeup of it in there too.  He also did come right out and say that you can make an rt out of a non rt car, so that shows he is not ignorant and that he knows the difference.

He changed the description between yesterday and today and deleted that vin picture too.  before he was outright encouraging fraud, but after the slew of nasty emails he got, he probably changed his tune

No matter what happens with the auction I pretty much expect to see a rebody on its way with that VIN on it. For every email he got telling him he's breaking the law he probably got three asking for his contact info in case the auction gets pulled. He's off to a good Ebay start though -- 0 feedback, 0 bids and his first auction advertises the finer points of fraud (or did).

8WHEELER

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 29, 2006, 11:47:52 AM
he did

Dan

Go back and read my first post, that quote you edited was talking about a dash frame a person I know sold, not
this dash frame. If you are going to quote somebody please put in the entire post so people can see what was
said and why. I did not know he edited his ebay add, and I did not think you could take pictures off ebay in
that format, I have seen people before say they can't change there pics in ebays format or change them, maybe
they just don't know how like me.

And I just checked and the vin picture is still there, are you saying he took it off then put it back?

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

someone should contact local law enforcement
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

sorry about misquoting you, I thought you were talking about this particular auction.  It made sense since the guy edited it after this thread got started.

as far as the vin pic.  when I looked at the auction the pic came up.  when i looked a day later, all the pics were there, but the vin pic box had a red x in it.  I assumed he pulled it.

I got a very nasty email from the seller calling me an asshole for telling him what he was doing was breaking the law.  He went on to say that he had no idea it was illegal to swap vins.  I find that hard to believe that a person knowledgeable enough to know the differnce between xs and xp would not know that vin swapping is illegal...
RECHRGED

dkn1997

I hope someone puts that vin in some sort or registry so if it shows up on a car we can all catch wind of it.
RECHRGED

bull

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 02, 2006, 12:51:31 PM
I got a very nasty email from the seller calling me an asshole for telling him what he was doing was breaking the law.  He went on to say that he had no idea it was illegal to swap vins.  I find that hard to believe that a person knowledgeable enough to know the differnce between xs and xp would not know that vin swapping is illegal...

Why would he call you an asshole for telling him something he says he didn't know? This guy sounds like a complete tool.

Still no bids yet.