News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dealer Installed Options for 69's

Started by 69 Charger SE, August 25, 2006, 12:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 Charger SE

Hi there everyone.  I was wondering if anyone had a list of what were considered to be dealer installed options.  I have a 69 charger that my dad bought off the show room floor.  The car came with the luggage rack and tow hitch which were both installed by the dealer.  I was wondering what else would have been available as a dealer installed option.  I read somewhere recently that the Dana 60 rearend was also a available as a dealer installed option.

v/r
Patrick

Ghoste

It's pretty much wide open and I doubt that anyone could ever give you a comprehensive list.  Dealers have always been willing to install just about anything it would take in order to sell a car.  Any part available in the parts catalog, the accessory catalog, or from your speed shop catalog if you brought it with you.
The trick today would be "proving" that the dealer installed it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

What makes you think they were dealer installed?  Are the codes for the rack & hitch on the fender tag?

If not I agree with Ghost :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 Charger SE

They are not on the fender or the broadcast sheet.  The only reason that I know they were dealer installed is that my dad bought the car and they were on the car when he bought it off the show room floor.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on August 25, 2006, 05:48:25 AM

I agree with Ghost and Chris. Pretty much anything you wanted could be dealer installed at that time.

I'm not sure the actual hitch was part of the trailer towing package. I think only the supporting items such as cooling, suspension and electrical were included. I think it was up to the dealer/owner to install the hitch based on application.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

MichaelRW

A/C could have been dealer installed.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

tan top

sounds like a intresting charger , thats awesome your dad being the first owner.   got any pictures ,   just a thought  , was the car ordered or was it sales bank ( all ready at the dealer ) the tow hitch / rack  could of  been fitted  by the dealer  for a show room demo ,  for family orientated buyers .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bsakal

69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

69 Charger SE

My dad originally ordered a 500 with hemi/4speed/dana but my mom refused to drive a stick shift so he bought the one the dealer had on the show room floor.  He wanted to get one of the 68's but did not like the round tail lights and when he saw one running around on the island with long taillights (dealer's son) he went to the dealership and ordered one.   The good part of it is that he told me if he had still owned the one he originally ordered he would have sold it before I could drive.

I have some pics somewhere and will have to look for them.   She is a nice car but I have a lot of work to do on her befor I put her on the road again.

Ghoste

I admire your dad's taste.  Although I would've tried to find a way around the 4 speed in the 500 issue. ;)

myk

I've heard of dual-quad setups that were installed on 383's by the dealers.  Anyway, men really need to assert their places in the household.  The day some woman tells me what kind of car to buy is the day I frigging die...

Ghoste

But in 1969, most households were one car families and Mom stayed at home to raise the kids.  That meant, that come the time when you were finished work you could either let her take the car to do her running around (getting groceries, hair done, tennis lessons, whatever...), or you could ferry her all over town.  I'd bet a lot of guys chose to buy a car she could drive just so they could have a few precious moments to cut the grass and drink beer unhindered on the evenings or weekends.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on August 25, 2006, 12:31:57 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on August 25, 2006, 05:48:25 AM

I agree with Ghost and Chris. Pretty much anything you wanted could be dealer installed at that time.

I'm not sure the actual hitch was part of the trailer towing package. I think only the supporting items such as cooling, suspension and electrical were included. I think it was up to the dealer/owner to install the hitch based on application.

I'll add one more "I agree" to the pile...   :P

Here's a clip from one of the catalogs I have, that emphasises that the factory did not supply the hitch (see the red box at the bottom).  I'm sure the dealers added them, but they definitely didn't come off the transporter with them.

69 Charger SE

I am sure the dealer put it on to help sell the car(s) in this area. The dealership is on an island in Florida so it is almost pretty much a must to have a trailer hitch.  When I was in high school the kids had just as many boats as we did cars.  My wife still doesn't understand why I keep telling her that a boat is as necessary as a car. ;)

JimShine

In regards to the added AC units, I have seen a few variances in the units. What would the '69 have looked like if you bought one and had it installed right then and there? Was it the Amana bix under the dash with woodgrain inserts? I seen one of those supposedly dealer added on a 70 (had an Airtemp looking sticker in the backglass that said "Amana").

Ghoste

I assume you mean the one that was available as an official Chrysler accessory?  Because there were a number of units available for the dealer to choose from outside of Chrysler.

69 Charger SE

Does anyone have a copy of the 69 Charger Brochure scanned in?

JimShine

Quote from: Ghoste on August 26, 2006, 04:08:13 PM
I assume you mean the one that was available as an official Chrysler accessory?  Because there were a number of units available for the dealer to choose from outside of Chrysler.

Yeah, what was official.

Ghoste

They don't show the underdash units in the sales brochure.  I don't if there is a separate accessories catalog like today or not.  6PkRunner will know if anybody will.
The parts catalog does show an underdash vent, motor, control assembly but I think it's kind of a generic representative drawing.  I can try and scan it in anyway.

69 Charger SE

I wasn't looking for the picture of the added a/c.  My car came with a/c from the factory.  I was just looking for a scanned copy of the brochure since I can't find one on the internet anywhere to download. 

Ghoste

Oh okay, I thought we were still on the dealer installed stuff.  My bad.
I thought that brochure was out there someplace?

69 Charger SE

I was wanting to see what all the options were in the brochure - just curious.

69 Charger SE

Here is a pic of the car that shows the luggage rack and the trailer hitch (sort of)