News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B5 Blue Interior Dye

Started by B5 Charger, July 18, 2006, 11:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

I have been working on my nephews Duster trying to freshen it up on a tight budget.  A lot of the interior trim has faded and it is B5 blue.  Does anybody know where I could get some color matched dye to bring the color back?

Recharger

Are you looking for rattle cans or are you going to spray it through an HVLP gun?  If you want to go with a spray can, I would recommend talking to Rob at Mopaints (732-846-1044).  I called him about the blue interior in my 68, and he was extremely helpful.  I only wish the other vendors I've dealt with were 1/2 as serious about customer service as he is.  We went back and forth about several different color possibilities, and he even went so far as to send me a free can to test & verify the color before I ordered anything.  FWIW, the light blue in my 68 is Cobalt Blue, and the darker shade is called Bahama.  I know 69 OUR/TEA has the code for that one posted in another thread.  Keep in mind Plymouth may have used different names for those colors, if they even used the same shades of blue.  If you've got a paint gun, you might be able to get a code from one of our resident paint pros or you could just take a clean sample (if you have any left) of the vinyl to a paint shop so they could match the color for you.  Good luck with it... :thumbs:

blue69

I have had good luck with mopaint as well. Only downside is it takes alot of coats to get good color. I think I used close to 3/4 a can on each upper door pad. The color match is great and the paint did not fill the grain. I attached a picture for comparison. All the interior parts are original except the upper door pads which are painted. They were originally black, so color changes are not a problem.

hemi68charger

That looks excellent !!!!!!  Good job !!!!

Off to Mopaints.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Recharger

:iagree:  Great job, blue69!  Is that also Cobalt blue?  (I've never been sure if it's the same color for both 68 and 69)  How did you go about prepping those pads for paint?  Did you use any adhesion promoters or fisheye reducers or anything like that?  Or just a lot of simple green?  I'll be painting my pads in a week or 2, I'll be happy if mine turn out half that nice...

blue69

Thanks guys. The color of the pads are Baltic Blue. I think 68, 69, and 70 use different shades of blue. When I talked to Rob he said there were 3 different shades of blue in a 69 interior. I cut out the area under the medallion and mailed it to him for a match. He also was able to research the correct shade for center console, which turned out to be the same as the pads. It's been a couple years since I painted the pads, but I think I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils. Then I painted the pads in thin coats. The paint is kind of transparent so it's hard to tell when the pads are fully painted. Keep applying coats until the color stops changing and they will match great.

almerkel

I have a full set of factory installed blue seat belts for a 69 charger.  I do not have the seat to floor for t he front sees with the spring winders.  I would be happy to trade them for a set of complete blace belts. 

8WHEELER

Yes the 68 blue is a much darker  blue, especially the dash pads, much darker than 69 and 70. Looks good.

Where do you get mo-paint? maybe a stupid question but I have never heard of it  :shruggy:  thanks.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Recharger

Rob Dorfman (I think that's the name) runs/is Mopaint from what I can tell.  He doesn't have a website that I'm aware of so you have to call him at 732-846-1044.  I think the interior paints listed in the Year One catalog are Mopaint, but they don't carry all the colors and no one over there knows ANYTHING about what color is right for what application.   ::)  I'm not sure if any other vendors are selling the stuff.

8WHEELER

OK thanks, that would explain why I have not heard of it, plus I don't get many mopar mags   :rotz:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.