News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission out of my 73, can I pull torsion bars/crossmember as one?

Started by WH23G3G, August 21, 2006, 01:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've completely removed the 727 from my 73 Charger. I still have to disassemble the driver's side control arms/spindle and remove the torsion bars. Adjusters are loosened all the way up, passenger side bar is already out except where I can't pull it out the back. I was wondering can I unbolt the transmission crossmember and pull the torsion bars out with it and then remove them outside of the car? I won't be able to install engine/transmission as a unit in my car in my home garage and I can't do it in the driveway. So is it easier to put the transmission in after the engine or put the transmission in place and then the engine?

hemihead

On the 73's you can unbolt the Torsion Bar X-Member.They are not welded in.I unbolted mine off my 73 and took a big rubber mallet and then smacked it off the back of the T-Bars. No problem.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

:iamwithstupid:

I like that icon... never have seen before LOL

Yes, as hemihead described you can do it.

In fact you can remove and also bolt the rear Cross member ang K member at the same time as far you keep them lined, to don't damage the T bars, or what be the same, separate the body from them. The complete suspension from 73 and laters is ISOLATED from the shell with rubbers cushions, bushings and bolts.

To do that only would need is ( if tranny and engine are not on car ) release tension from T bars, unbolt upper control arm plates to K members, loose caliper hoses, Steering shaft and of course the 4 bolts from K member and the 2 ones from rear Crossmember. Funny of this system is that if you get the same Tension on T bars before remove and was aligned, getting same height ride, you won't need to align the front end again even you remove from car :D.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html