News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stripped Out Valve Cover Bolt

Started by 1971SE440, August 21, 2006, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1971SE440

I have a sripped out valve cover bolt on my 440. Any ideas on how to repair?

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Todd Wilson

Valve cover bolts dont require a lot of torque and with just one stripped out you might be able to use Form a Thread on it and take care of things.  You mix it up like JB weld and fill the hole where the threads are  and then clean the bolt and put another liquid on it  and screw it in. AFter the stuff drys you should have thread and it wont stick to the bolt cuz you put the anti stick stuff on the bolt. Then you can go ahead and tighten it down.

Todd

1971SE440

Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to try Form-A-Thread first tonight (looks easy per website). I will let you know how it works.

BigBlockSam

use a 1/4 ratchet on the valve cover bolts. thats what i do after i broke a couple. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Lord Warlock

whats the best way to remove a snapped off v/c bolt?  drill it out? easy out? I got one too (right side rear lower-so it leaks oil badly when engine is warm)
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: rick123_77077 on August 21, 2006, 01:45:22 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to try Form-A-Thread first tonight (looks easy per website). I will let you know how it works.

If that dont work and you arent concerned with looks but easy fix   you could cut the head off a bolt and then jbweld it into the hole and then use a nut to tighten that cover down. Redneck method but it would be cheap, easy and work!

Todd

BigBlockSam

QuoteIf that dont work and you arent concerned with looks but easy fix   you could cut the head off a bolt and then jbweld it into the hole and then use a nut to tighten that cover down. Redneck method but it would be cheap, easy and work! 

never thought of that.  :thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img