News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help engine problem

Started by cory1char, August 08, 2006, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cory1char

hey everyone

Its been a long time and a couple of different websits later and I found it again. anyways i have a problem with my 440.

it starts like this, drive home from car storage and as I pulled in to my drive way the car ran out of gas. ok so I got more gas, 94 sunco fuel,
started it up and now I have a popping noise through the carb at  idle and mid rpm range, now its not a backfire, i move the timing but that did not do a damn thing, at first i saw drops of fuel come out of the acc pump, but then week later i could not see anything( maybe bad lighting). I NEED HELP i am going CRAZY  ??? :rotz: :flame: 

please help me before I put my head thorgh a wall.

ps  this motor ran great before it ran out of gas

Thanks     Cory

Brock Samson

maybe crap in the gas/tank?..
I'm dealing with a similar problem myself...

cory1char

hey brock

That a good reply, I was also told that one too and i wish it was but i have all new steel flex lines, pump, gas tank,and i clean the carb out already, I forgot to say that, I guess i am more pissed off then I think I am i guess,

but thanks for helping brock, all ideas are welcome please.

thanks cory 

Brock Samson

Chryco Psycho

how long was it sitting ?
stuck intake valve maybe ?

TylerCharger69

Running out of gas.....I hate when that happens....You probably just sucked up some sediment from the gas tank.

cory1char

hey everybody

Its good to be back brock!!. heres a guy thats popular around here chryco, to answer your question I have not checked because I had it running and driveing it all day and it ran great untill i pulled in to my drive way, and then the shit happen, but now that you said that I will check them.
tyler thank you for your response also, thats was the first thing i did. I clean the carb and it was not dirty at all, I also had a new tank put on two before storage.

I did a vacuum check, and i have a rapid vibration or fluctuating vacuum  and it seem to be about a 4 to 5 inch pounds vacuum differents

Thanks guys for helping

Cory

RD

you may have done this, but i did not see you type it.

have you changed your fuel filter?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TylerCharger69

could be a weak fuel pump too

8WHEELER

Hey Cory long time no hear  ;D  Do you have points or electronic ign?

I thought you were putting the 383 back in the car? or is this another car  :scratchchin:
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

cory1char

hey guys

RD I have not checked the filter, so i will do that also. And tyler  my pump was leaking at the time this happen but I have a fuel pressure reg. and it was reading six and a half psi. I am ranning a holley 850 double pump. yes 8wheeler it has been too long of time, i was thinking at the time I wanted to put a 383 in because I had a 400 in the car i want to then stoke the 383 with the 400 crank, but then I found out my 68 440 HP2 was in excellent shape and used that instead. As for your main question I have that photo-optic infrared L.E.D mallory unilite distributor thingy.
works great.

well I think I may have to put my fully sealed valve covers off :icon_smile_angry: :flame: I hate doing things two or three times over, to ckeck those rockers, I think chryco may be right again but I just seems so crazy that a car rans great, runs out of gas, then get a popping like back pressure out of the carb.    DRIVE ME TO DRINK!!!!!!

Thanks again guys

Cory

Chryco Psycho

do a compression test instead of pulling the Valve covers

cory1char

hey everyone

well did not have the internet for a while,i was switching companys but I have now got what the problem was. It was a exhaust rocker arm, I have the adjustiable type and  the threded part on the arm, about half of the threds on the bottem side came off, causeing a bit of play in the threds, and started to back off the adjusting bolt, untill the push rod fall out.No damage was done to anything the push rod is good and the adjusting bolt is good but i don't think a can use the rocker arm any more. the rest of the valve train is good and tight and adjusted great.

Ones again i would like to thank you guys for all you help and ideas.

Cory   

Chryco Psycho