News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 into 72 Charger..? Pic..

Started by T16, August 14, 2006, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T16

Will probably buy a 383 from a ´69 Roadrunner in a couple o days..

Will this fit into my 72 Charger.. (had a 400 from factory).. with a ´72 727..? Without modification..?

The engine has a Torker intake.. Will there be any hood to aircleaner clearence..?
Thers´s no aircleaner on the pic and i have a fiberglas bulge hood

Thanks for quick answers  ;)

NHCharger

Yes it will fit. Can't answer you on the intake. I have a Eddy Intake and carb on my 71, 383 Charger. I'm using a dropped base air cleaner to fit under the hood.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RallyeMike

The Torker will fit under bulge hood. You will have to run a 1-/2 inch dropped bottom plate on your air filter to run a good sized taller air filter (2-1/2"?)
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

chrisII

I agree it shuld be as simple of a swap as you could do. the 400 is a 383 with bigger pistons, from the outside you really cant tell the difference unless you read the numbers. BUT if i remember correctly most 400s  were externaly balanced  (like a 360) and the 383 was internaly balanced (like a 318) . assumeing that you are runing an auto, you can remove the weight from the converter and you shuld be fine. if your 400 has a forged crank it would be internaly balanced the same as a 383. forged cranks were used in some 72s, being the first year of the 400 i think they used up the 383 cranks. if my memory is failing me somebody correct me. its ben about 5 years since i messed with a big block.

Chryco Psycho

Chris is correct , if the 400 is a cast crank it will have a balanced torque converter & will need to be replaced or have the weight carefully removed to correct the balance

T16

Ok.. the engine is now on a stand in my garage.
I´m going to clean it up an paint it. Dont want to tear it all apart since the seller told me that the engine should be ok.. but you never know  :-\

But i´ll asume its and old but running 383

Want some opinions what to check while the engine is still in the stand..
Replace timing chain.. etc..? Compression Check.. can that be done by turning the motor by hand..?
Heads are still on the motor..

Chryco Psycho

timing chain is a good call , co0mp check should be done & or a leak down test , you need a belhousing to crank the engine with a starter to test compression though , depending how long it has been sitting it may be worth re-sealing the engine with new gaskets & seals & frost plugs