News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood clearance

Started by Rolling_Thunder, August 17, 2006, 10:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

i know it wont fit under a stock hood - but how tall does the Edelbrock Victor intake stick out when put on a 440 in a 1968 Charger ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Rolling_Thunder

4402tuff4u

Hey RT run a test if the motor is in the car and the manifold is installed. Set a couple of clay columns on the manifold and lower the hood slowly. You might want to put wax paper on the tops of the columns of clay so that they don't stick to the hood. Then measure the colund after it has been compressed by the hood...................or contact Edelbrock. They might know. :shruggy:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

firefighter3931

The victor will clear with a holley bolted on, but there's no room for an aircleaner. With a 3in 6-pack scoop there would be room to run the Victor, Holley DP and a 3in drop base air cleaner assembly.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

I'm thinking of running a different style hood scoop - i think the six pack is overdone, the hemi scoop doesnt look right, and no others really strike me except one...    I am looking for a low profile hood scoop and the only one I can think of is Dick Landy's original 68 hood design....

opinions ?

firefighter3931

That looks like an RO/WO hemi scoop on the Landy Charger. I personally don't like any scoop on a second gen charger due to the hood scallops....the scoop, any scoop just looks like an add-on. Why not run a street dominator ? There's not much difference (power-wise) between the two. The SD with a 1in spacer, double pumper and 3in drop base clears the stock hood.

The MM manifold shootout had the SD at 636hp and the victor at 637hp on the same motor. The SD was the clear winner in average Tq & HP over the test range. It's a tough manifold to beat.....if it can be beat at all.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

heres why I dont use the street dominator....

I got the Victor 440 EFI intake (which hasnt been released yet) for free....      injectors for $200 and a new MAD throttle body for $150...
The street dominator is cool but isnt an EFI intake...   

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 19, 2006, 02:43:21 AM
heres why I dont use the street dominator....

I got the Victor 440 EFI intake (which hasnt been released yet) for free....      injectors for $200 and a new MAD throttle body for $150...
The street dominator is cool but isnt an EFI intake...   

That looks pretty trick !  :icon_smile_big: The throttle body looks lower than a standard double pumper....it might clear with a 3in drop base air cleaner. how tall is that TB ?

Ron

Ps. Here's a pic of a 440 with a double pumper under the hood of a 68. He was running a low profile 2in aircleaner which is waaay to restrictive....especially with a chokehorn so close to the lid. That TB on yours does look to be shorter with no chokehorn so you can get away with a drop base assembly and not restrict airflow. Also, you would need to use the Performer RPM head....the Victor and Indy heads raise the intake 3/4 of an inch which only complicates things in terms of hood clearance.

Rolling_Thunder

thanks for the info -   the Throttle body is only 2 1/8" tall...        I am planning on using my ported and polished 906 heads for now until I get some cash for the Edelbrock RPM heads.

squeakfinder

I personally don't like hood socops on second gen Chargers either. To me, the design is perfect the way it is.  But that picture of the Dick Landy 68 Charger looks wright.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 19, 2006, 07:12:02 PM
thanks for the info -   the Throttle body is only 2 1/8" tall...        I am planning on using my ported and polished 906 heads for now until I get some cash for the Edelbrock RPM heads.

You're welcome RT. Fwiw, i just measured a double pumper and it is 3 1/4 in from the baseplate to the air cleaner seal. That means you've got an additional 1 1/8 in of clearance over a Victor/4150 style carb.  :yesnod:

I bet a 14x3 or 14x2.75 aircleaner with a 1.25 in drop base would clear the stock hood. You would want to have the engine chained down or with some type of solid mount to keep the aircleaner from smacking (the hood)....when the engine torqued over.  ;)

Ron

kab69440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 18, 2006, 09:02:02 PM
I'm thinking of running a different style hood scoop - i think the six pack is overdone, the hemi scoop doesnt look right, and no others really strike me except one...    I am looking for a low profile hood scoop and the only one I can think of is Dick Landy's original 68 hood design...  

opinions ?

How about a power bulge from a 70 Runner? That gives you an extra two inches freed up.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Rolling_Thunder

I love it...     but how much does it cost ?    :'(

kab69440

Well, if memory serves, I got the wrecked hood off eBay for 130 or so, and about another 120 in gas to go pick it up. All the rest depends on your skill level in stitch welding. The bare area to the passenger's side of center was severely caved. All that you you see there is shrink hammer,dolly and heat/ice work. The underframe of the Runner hood was rotten to the point of non-existance. Along with that and the rare factory correct torch cut rear hood pins, and having covered  a major engine fire at one point, getting the two skins to live together was not an easy task. It took me about two months of working on it in my spare time to call it good enough. I was cursing myself and my "bright ideas" the whole time, but when all was said and done, I am sure glad I stuck it out.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Chryco Psycho

the one thing the Charger virtually always lacked was a decent hood pkg , every other body style had them , the 3rd gen was slightly better

kab69440

No, Strat I didn't see that. Looks like someone else figured out you don't have to pay big bucks to get 4gear clutch/brake pedals. heh heh heh... If not for the hideous color, I'd love it.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny