News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

11" brakes.....

Started by Lightning, August 11, 2006, 03:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

When I finally find myself a A- or B-body, I'm wanting to go autocrossing and roadracing with it, but there's one stipulation....I'd like to keep it with 15-inch wheels, which means 11" brakes.   

Aside from the viper-caliper kits out there now, is there any good kits out there that'll slow the car down really well while keeping the rotor diameter near 11"?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

blue69

Your not limited to 11" rotors, if you use one with the right size hat. The cordoba 11.75" rotors fit 15" wheels fine, even with drop center wheels like a magnum 500 or rallye wheel. However I read that the viper caliper on 11.75" rotor conversion does not fit a 15" drop center wheel. I ran into some problems with the scarebird rear disc conversion which uses 11.45" rotors. The rotors had a shorter hat then the cordoba rotor and it caused the calipers to lightly touch the wheels. I ended up going to the junkyard to find some slightly used pads to fix the problem.

Wakko

I just bought the Scarebird kit that uses the above mentioned 11.75 inch rotors from the Cordoba.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

bull

Cordoba, St. Regis, Fury, Charger, etc. Typically any B-body from the late '70s runs 11.75" rotors and will fit under a 15" wheel. I bought a pair of loaded, rebuilt calipers from a '73 Challenger at a parts store that work. Be sure to grab the caliper adapters off one of the aforementioned cars. Actually, that's all I would use off one of those. Just buy the rotors new.

Lightning

I was meaning aftermarket Calipers, I knew that the late B- stuff is basically a bolt-on when you nab the spindle as well.

but what about the rear brakes?

bull

Quote from: Lightning on August 12, 2006, 11:30:48 PM
I was meaning aftermarket Calipers, I knew that the late B- stuff is basically a bolt-on when you nab the spindle as well.

but what about the rear brakes?

Oh, my bad. I guess I don't consider Viper calipers to be aftermarket.

andyf

The Viper on 11.75 setup will fit under a 15 inch disc brake rim but it won't fit earlier drum brake wheels and it won't fit some of the aftermarket rims.  I know that it fits under the later model 15x7 J rim like you'll find on a Cordoba.

Lightning

I'm shooting for 15x8 or 15x9 wheels, maybe Cragar's series 397 wheels?

andyf

There is a decent chance that the Viper caliper will fit under any aftermarket 15 inch rim since the are typically designed to clear disc brake calipers.  But you won't know for sure until you either try it or measure the rims.

The Wilwood calipers are a lot smaller so they fit under most everything.  The Wilwoods are more of a drag race caliper though, not a road race setup.  You just have to figure out what you want the car to do and then pick the right parts for the task.

Steve P.

All the answers here are great. The problem is more with the question. If you are reallllllllly going to AUTO-CROSS or road rally, I would suggest you start looking HARD at cars that are doing just that. Those cars need to bleed off heat in the brakes fast. You need the experience of the pro's doing that kind of racing..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

COKE

I have the Viper caliper kit with the Weld racing pro star wheels and the caliper was slighty  touching the wheel.
I solved it munting a fine washer on each  one of the bolts wich holds the caliper.It means, between the caliper and the spindle.

About the Wilwood calipers,the people says they are for drag  or for road race, because they don,t have dustboots.
The one and only moment that the dust could enter into the caliper,is when you are changing the pads and yo need to compress the pistons.
You can evit this with a bit of care and cleanning the piston  before to compress.
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.