News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much have you spent on you resto project?

Started by mikes68charger, August 08, 2006, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes68charger

I have been looking back at pics of 7 years back and secound guessing my self about even attemding my resto project. I should of ingnored the rust and the stop sign floor pans, and went to maco and had a cheep paint job, at lest then I would have been driveing my car not 7 years later. I only paid 2300 for my car, I exspected to pay 1500 and be done. Im up to 25K and I realy haven't tuched the interor yet. How much do you have in your projects? I know those how took there cars to the shops paid more. PS It was just a 318 Charger.

mikes68charger

mikes68charger

ps its 2004 viper red even thow it lookes orange. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

bull

I'm embarrassed to say exactly. :-[ Let's just say I'm knocking on the door of $20k and currently have a rolling shell. The good news is that includes the purchase price of the car, I have 95% of the parts I need (I think) and all the body work is done. :angel:

Dave22443

Nice looking car!

I haven't exactly been keeping track of how much I spend on my baby.  I've been told that the quickest way to kill a project is to start thinking about the costs.  I'm pretty sure I'm at least 10K under your current costs though  (I humor myself). Although I did just drop $800 on mine just to upgrade the rear tires with 10" Magnums, new 295x50x15's and a pair of air shocks.  It seemed like a lot to spend for just two tires, but the look is pretty nice!

I paid $3,000 for the car about 7 years ago and have been slowly working on it ever since.  My key has been to spend what I can, when I can, and never loose sight of the overall goal.  I still don't have a show winner, but it turns lots of heads when I drive it and I prefer to drive it a lot.

As soon as I get a chance to take some updated pictures, I'll post up.  Here's what it looked like in the spring.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Dave22443

Sorry, the pic didn't make it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Brock Samson

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: mikes68charger on August 08, 2006, 08:52:30 PM
ps its 2004 viper red even thow it lookes orange. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

The 69 Charger is Viper Red.  Will pass the "doubled what I paid for it" mark when I pick up the engine at the builder's (RD's house :) ).  Still need to replace floor pans, paint hood, install new chrome front bumper and restored grille, etc., etc.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Silver R/T

Ive got over 6K in mine with the purchase price of the car
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

topduarte

Paid $8500 for a pretty clean 67 318 2 1/2 years ago.  Bought about $1500 in misc. stuff the last two years and the bigs part recently was about $5000 for the new 440, suspension, engine bay paint, etc.

So I am about $15k with many bruises, scratches, cusswords and some beer.

But in the end, it is worth it!!! ;D

PocketThunder

Cash out of pocket i've got $20,000 into my 68 318 field car.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,154.msg2415.html#msg2415

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10166.msg152228.html#msg152228

I sold some parts though off of the 69 SE that came with my 68 so i'm in it for about $16,000 right now.

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

andy74

i figuure i have about 15 grand total,including a second 440 that ive built to go in this winter,and a lot of beer that ive consumed while working on her! not to mention that i had to get married 2 years ago,so i can include that in my mental notes too!!!

NYCMille

I stopped counting at $45k... ugh.... I could put another 50k in this car tomorrow with no problem... well maybe one problem, I need the 50K. ::)

jwilk01

I'm sitting at about $10k or maybe a little less including purchase price of $3500 4 1/2 years ago.  It still needs some little things, but body work and paint and all is all done.

Later
Josh

4402tuff4u

I'm in the neighborhood of $ 36 - 40 K, including the cost of the Charger and still need some several more K's to finish it to the performance level that I want. I really way under estimated the cost and time in this project to say the least! I hope the wife is not looking!!!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Nacho-RT74

I think I have spent around US$9-10K in 8 years. Not everything New, as I would like the interior plastic panels, and home made patch panels. Next step about my project will be a better body job with repro casted  panels, but will be in afew years.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

694spdRT

I was at 25K when I finished up the '69 with me doing all of the metal work and a considerable amount of the body work. Lots of little detail items that don't seem like much really drive the price up like wiring harnesses, weatherstripping, underhood items, etc. I also had to locate all of the missing 4 speed items before they were reproduced which was costly. 

In comparison I expect to get the Challenger done for 7-8K because I am using a lot of existing parts including a 440 and a 833OD and I am doing all of the bodywork and painting myself. If I decide on a 5.7 hemi conversion then that number is out the window.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Brock Samson

I'd estimate approx. $30,000 + but, it's been on the road pretty much the entire time since the begining and I worked on collecting parts and had two great parts cars when i could buy them a whole heck of a lot cheaper then today, those parts cars would now be worth 5-6 K not the 500 I paid for them...  :P cars only been down (undrivable) about 6 mos. in 22 years! I pretty proud of that..
the single two most expensive items were the 10K paint job and about the same amount getting the 440 six-pack short block motor in and running... cars not totally restored though... that would have added another 10-15 K.
i started in '84 too... I only paid 2,300 for the stripped unibody, today i bet it would go for well over 10K.. being a R/T S.E.

I suggest if your having second thoughts you review the pics on this thread...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.0.html

CB

Bought the 69 2 years ago for 10K and with the help of Doc74 and his buddy ( they 've done huge bodywork on the 69 for a low price) and some parts I've bought(gas pump, rad hose, mufflers and pipes, had radiator rebuild, purchased a PST kit that still needs to be put in) my total will be around 15-16K.
Stll needs a lot!!!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Mikesmopars01

Tooooooo Much $$$$$$$$

I lost track, and I am to scared to look.

MichaelRW

Bought my numbers matching with 2 build sheets and fender tag 1970 Charger R/T SE for $13,000 three years ago. The car was totally complete, no rust and was running. It has now been totally restored and I have about $43,000 into it including the cost of the car.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

y3chargerrt

terrible one

$3,600 for the car. $30 worth of sanding pads. $5 for some paint. That's it so far!

Back N Black

Mine is at the body shop right now, when its done (rolling shell) I will be in $ 20,000 Cdn dollars thats including the price of the car.
Thanks guys I needed to hear that I'm not the only one dumping money into my project.
Some of my non-car guy friends just don't understand.

Sinister68

I've kept track of almost all expenses associated with the Charger.  The current tally is ~ $31K and it still isn't (legally) driveable as evidenced by these pictures.   :rotz:  :o

NOTE: That price doesn't include the cost of the car ($1850) or the cost of consumables (paint, carb cleaner, engine degreaser, etc.).
:rotz:  ::)

It's been a learning experience!
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54