News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much have you spent on you resto project?

Started by mikes68charger, August 08, 2006, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

It doesn't look like it did when I bought it ('68 Charger R/T) for $3900 in 1968.  I have been working on the car on-and-off for more than 5 years (mostly off).  I have more than $5000 of parts, etc. stored in a bedroom and a bunch of stuff removed/dis-assembled.  I am presently trying to locate/select a machine shop for the 440 engine (505) and one for the 727 transmission.  Here it sits!

moparstuart

slightly over 50k now with the six speed manual viper tranny install
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: john108 on April 26, 2013, 02:28:12 PM
It doesn't look like it did when I bought it ('68 Charger R/T) for $3900 in 1968.  I have been working on the car on-and-off for more than 5 years (mostly off).  I have more than $5000 of parts, etc. stored in a bedroom and a bunch of stuff removed/dis-assembled.  I am presently trying to locate/select a machine shop for the 440 engine (505) and one for the 727 transmission.  Here it sits!
how much have you spent on it in total for the last 45 years?  :icon_smile_big:

john108

70 Charger RT

70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

lasvegas69charg

69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

WHITE AND RED 69

I'm afraid to add up all the receipts. Its definitely over $40,000 though.  :eek2:  But I'd gladly do it again...if I had the money.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

polywideblock

well over 40 000 on the roadrunner including purchase price over the last 3 years   and as stated above i'd do it again. the chargers still not here yet, but i hope to not have to spend any more than whats required for roadworthy/rego. its suposed to be a "done" car  :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Wicked72

Im doing a budget build but not half assing it so a mid grade charger haha probably 4k so far and shes in pieces still. need lots more. if i had another 5k i could have her completed.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

bill440rt

I've owned two of my cars for at least 25 years now. I stopped counting LONG ago. Like anything else I enjoy this as a hobby.
To take a wild guess I probably have somewhere in the $20K range in my '69, but that was over 5-6 years during the build. They are never "done", there are always things to do. 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Memphis Mopar

I would say about 40k and I am a little over half way

lloyd3

This isn't an inexpensive hobby anymore. You've got to love it.

polywideblock

if its not for the love of the cars you've got to have a screw loose :cheers:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Fred

If you want to do the maths, mine's a brand new car. Complete bare metal resto.

RusTy/SE

Altogether, regarding my Challenger R/T SE, i'm pegging $40K - as of August 2010. :eyes:

lloyd3

That is why people have been telling me for years "it's far-cheaper to buy them already done". When you look at the amount of time and labor most folks have in restoring a car, the actual cost is far more. 

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: lloyd3 on April 27, 2013, 07:55:08 PM
That is why people have been telling me for years "it's far-cheaper to buy them already done". When you look at the amount of time and labor most folks have in restoring a car, the actual cost is far more. 

But it's not as rewarding   :P

Fred

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 27, 2013, 08:20:00 PM

But it's not as rewarding   :P

Pulling her to pieces and putting her back together again was a labour of love for me. I enjoyed every minute of it even when I came away scratched and bumped and bruised. And I never once hit back.  :lol:
I know her inside out.

NHCharger

Very true. The other side of that coin is that i have seen several board members buy a "done" car, only to find out it was a perfume pig. Many of us on the board enjoy working on them as much as driving them.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RusTy/SE

I agree; absolutely correct. Short of raising a family and purchasing property, obtaining and restoring a vehicle can be - and often is - the most time consuming, expensive experience we will go through in our lifetime.

Quote from: Fred on April 27, 2013, 08:23:14 PM

Pulling her to pieces and putting her back together again was a labour of love for me. I enjoyed every minute of it even when I came away scratched and bumped and bruised. And I never once hit back.  :lol:
I know her inside out.

Yes! Transform dirty, crusty, non-functioning to clean and functioning. Bring on the warm fuzzies ;D

ws23rt

Quote from: RusTy/SE on April 28, 2013, 10:29:34 AM

I agree; absolutely correct. Short of raising a family and purchasing property, obtaining and restoring a vehicle can be - and often is - the most time consuming, expensive experience we will go through in our lifetime.

Quote from: Fred on April 27, 2013, 08:23:14 PM

Pulling her to pieces and putting her back together again was a labour of love for me. I enjoyed every minute of it even when I came away scratched and bumped and bruised. And I never once hit back.  :lol:
I know her inside out.

Yes! Transform dirty, crusty, non-functioning to clean and functioning. Bring on the warm fuzzies ;D

[/quote

Tell these folks that you like the car. You did not buy it to make money.
I fully agree with those that bought a complete car and came to feel it was not what was they expected. It was another's project.
There are many different charger fans out there. But it looks like most on this site are the true hobbyists.

hemi-hampton

I know of many people who have spent over $100,000 on Restorations but none of them want to admit it. LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

a little over 20k in my 70 r/t with purchase price. Have most of the interior new not installed yet. No motor yet or drivetrain,suspension. Metal work is done except 1 fender. Had the AMD works 1/4's,wheelhouses,trunk floor,u/l cowls,door hinge pillars,roof skin, inner front fenders pretty much all except the rails,torsion bar member,rad support.

Cooter

Well, The General Lee I have just over 15K in, Christine, I have just over $11K in, aThe Dart I have a little over $10K in, and the Challenger clone I have a little over $2300.00 in. The Maverick I have right at $1100.00 in. All this over a 25 Year period.

So, with all five of the cars, you still don't equal one new Diesel Truck. It's all in how you look at it I guess. If something bought "done" appears to be too good to be true, it usually is. NOTHING in these old cars comes cheap/easy anymore. All the "Basically new car, just needs a repaint" were bought up by flippers YEARS ago. They now have Hemi's in them...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"