News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much have you spent on you resto project?

Started by mikes68charger, August 08, 2006, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Plumcrazy

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 12, 2006, 11:19:46 AM
Guessing on the generous side, I've probably got $2,500 in mine so far, including purchase price...does it show? :smilielol

Sure does.  ;D

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

modmidget

It's really a shame that the color would be a factor.  My '68 Charger was also gold (with tan and gold interior) when I bought it but that didn't stop me and look what I've got now....... a real head turner.  There is no doubt in my mind that someone could spend around 10k to 12k restoring the '71 and end up with a $25,000.00+ car.  Oh well, seem like everyone wants a lot for very little so I'll just hold on to it until the right person comes along.

DarkAngel0816

My 1970 Charger...I have had it a little over a year and so far probably have about 15000 dollars into it...including the price of the car...and I have not even started with the big stuff.  BUT I am lucky for it could be more than that, but with the generosity of smasherofall who has helped me quite a bit...and my neighbor who is going to do body and framerails (plus paint) work on it...let me just say financially it helps.  :)
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

alenglish

>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

ChargerSG

bought the Charger for $12500 and have $8000 in to the restore but its allmost finished
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Hemidoug

My 69 I can count to over 40K right off the top of my head, another 10k of nickel and dime stuff...

My 71 is over 20k in body/paint as we speek, another 6-8k way back in 83, I figure by the time I'm done this time around it will come in at over 40K.

It's a labor of love for sure.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

modmidget

Brock, I added a few more pictures of my '68 Charger to my web site.  They are pix of the car in the very early stages of restoration.

BlueSS454

I have spent around $9,000 on the Charger thus far, that includes the $3,000 I paid for it.  So far it has taken $6,000 in parts to go from this:

to this:

My 70 SS Chevelle cost me $28,000 total from start to finish
My 69 Malibu cost me just a hair over $12,000
Tom Rightler

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on August 09, 2006, 07:59:58 AM
i figuure i have about 15 grand total,including a second 440 that ive built to go in this winter,and a lot of beer that ive consumed while working on her! not to mention that i had to get married 2 years ago,so i can include that in my mental notes too!!!

anger management my friend...it works and its free if you call in the next 20 minutes
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

defiance

I'm up to 12k now... Paid $500 to my dad for it, along with a guarantee that if I ever sold it, I'd offer it to him for "Whatever I had invested" ... lol ... Now I'm putting another $5k or so into redoing the engine, with another $4k lined up for the body work, and I'll still need to do some work on the suspension and steering... I'm pretty sure there's no way he'd take me up on paying as much as will be put into this car before it's done! :P

Brock Samson

:o Defiance, i never appreciated how nice your Charger is... sweet!
got any performance specs?.. quarter Mile and MPG numbers?..
Kinda' got a steath mobile there,.. 'cept the Boom.
That's a GREAT Car! & like your plan too...
          tony
err, Brock.

AKcharger

I think about $11K for the '72
$2500 purchase and $8500 for the Motor and stuff

Before and after

ws23rt

Great to hear so many chiming in to affirm that this is a hobby and not a business. If we were employed to fix these cars we would be fired. I like most of you would like my cars to bring more that I bought them for but don't expect an eventual selling price to cover my costs. One thing I didn't expect to encounter was a car I wanted when I was 20 (coronet rt hemi 4sp) I bought it in 1980 and got it running/finished in 2011. It has a historical value that limits my ability to enjoy driving it. In this case my effort to fix this car may balance out with my initial cost and hours spent to be close to it's selling price. But If I did sell it for fair market value IRS would jump on me and bite me in the neck.
So this is not something one does for money. We do it because we are moved to do it. I need to see my therapist again about my dodge fever.

charger500rt71

I was going to bore you all with my life story of buying and restoring chargers and what I paid and spent on them, I won't. I never smoked, drank or gambled my money away, insted I spent my money on the best therapest money can buy, My cars. The memories I have are worth to me more than any dollar amount I can count. I have been blessed with a hobby that has allowed me to excel in a trade that has provided very well for me and my family. At the risk of sounding strange I consider my cars a part of who I am.

ws23rt

Quote from: charger500rt71 on April 25, 2013, 08:02:05 PM
I was going to bore you all with my life story of buying and restoring chargers and what I paid and spent on them, I won't. I never smoked, drank or gambled my money away, insted I spent my money on the best therapest money can buy, My cars. The memories I have are worth to me more than any dollar amount I can count. I have been blessed with a hobby that has allowed me to excel in a trade that has provided very well for me and my family. At the risk of sounding strange I consider my cars a part of who I am.
[/quot

You can try to bore us with your story but whatever you say will remind us of what we have been through. And for the newer among us maybe a better way to side step things we wish we had.

cdr

I REALLY DID NOT WANT TO THINK about this subject!!!! oh well, to late.  about 16 including the car at least & i need at least 10 more ????????
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Baldwinvette77

so far i've spent roughly 2 grand including the car, a bunch of used parts, a bunch of welding wire and a bottle of gas. probably 10 grand to go... and thats just to get it running  :popcrn:

Matthan

I paid $10,000 and another $2,000 to have it shipped to me. I have only droped maybe $600.00 so far in it. The motor is fine and all the body work was been completed before I bought it. It just needs paint and interior mainly. It is a number matiching 383 1969 Charger....I guess you could say that I don't have any money in it really though because I have had 13 charger and have flipped all of those until I got this one.

lexxman

C928BRAN

I have right at 34,000, but 8,000 of that was new sheet metal. In my opinion, it was money well spent. I would rather pay 34,000 for my 69, before I would pay that kind of money for these new cars they are building nowadays. :2thumbs:

lloyd3

$12K to buy the car in 1996, $26K so-far since the accident in the Summer of '08 and I still don't have it back. Hopefully, this Spring and another $3-4K will get the job done.  It will be a better (i.e. more correct) car than when I bought it, but.......it's been a very long wait.  I'll have $30K in a mostly restored car. Hope it's still worth that when I see it again.

Rolling_Thunder

I am into mine for around $31,000 including the car. Project another $5000 to finish it off with brakes / wheels / tires
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bzabodyn

Trust me - you don't want to know. I might not have the most on here invested in one car but I'd guess its up there. But, how many opportunities are you going to have to bring a numbers matching HEMI 4 speed, 1 owner, 59k miles car sold originally in your hometown back to life?

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

GOTWING

We put around $7,000 in the Superbird in 2004-5 to get it where it is, very cosmetic restoration
Interior, vinyl top etc. stayed all factory original.
Complete Vit. C repaint
New decals
New door handles
New rear bumper
New front rubber bumper strip
New wing bolts and gaskets
New gas tank and fuel lines all the way up
New entire brake system, complete lines, shoes, rotors, pads, hoses, calipers, wheel cylinders, master cyl. etc.
New TTI exhaust with h-pipe and new tips out the back
New radiator, and all hoses
New battery
New thermostat ,waterpump
New plugs, points, cap, rotor, wires
New washer bottle
New carb
New Good year polyglass tires
New center caps
New wipers
New belts
New alternator