News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone is running a Demon carb?

Started by COKE, August 06, 2006, 05:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamkuda

Quote from: Ghoste on September 06, 2006, 04:18:01 AM
Right.  I guess I should rephrase that.  What I meant was that it seems a little strange to read about quality issues with Demons when BG began by addressing shortcomings in the Holley line.  The issues were engineering not quality so much, but I still find a little irony in it.
My understanding was that BG was sued by holley for copyright infringements and had to make some design "adjustments"  :icon_smile_blackeye: The inability to use some of the basic Holley designs precluded him from building a better Holley Carb.

Chryco Psycho

my experience has shown that the bleed size is too large on the Demon carbs so they need oversize jets to cvompensate , this seems to make the low end responce very soft not crisp like the Holleys & Proforms , Profrom seesm to be the Most responsive of the 3 

Ghoste

Weren't Barry Grant's original modifications never meant for the street anyway?

greenrt_se

when I put 750 mechanical demon in my 440 ,I have to put 5 number smaller jets on it( I have a oxyygen sensor in exhaust pipe)

Challenger340

I gave up on DEMON carbs and BG in general !

I did have some reasonable success with some of their annular discharge units on engines with BIG bumpsticks, good throttle response down low/midrange power.

But, for the most part, I just couldn't get what I wanted for A/F curves, and EGT's on the dyno. I'd get it "right" somewheres, and it would go for "shat" elsewheres !

Too persnickity for me, need more patience I guess, but dyno time is pricey, and customers get mad !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

dkn1997

750 mighty, out of the box runs fine.  from what I can see, a major problm with demons is that people constantly pick the wrong one.  a majority of threads I see where people have problems they list their combo and the carb is wrong.  not just a little either.  guys running an 850 speed demon on a 360 with a wild cam.  things like that. 

It happened to me, I thought I was doing the right thing and asked a performance carb vendor for a carb recommendation and give him all of my specs.  he sold me an 850 speeder for my pretty stock 440.  ouch!! did not run well despite changing jets and other tuning.  sold it and got this 750 mighty from don at www.4secondsflat.com and never looked back.  That brings up another point.  All of these carbs can be great for you if you buy them from a vendor who races/uses them and is willing to help.  I am sure that if you bought a holley from Jesse at Bigs you would be sold on holley forever, or it you bought a TQ from demonsizzler, that would be your thing.  If you want to save a few bucks and buy one based on what the pimple faced kid who answers the phone at summit tells you, then you will probably not end up happy.

with do many different demons to choose from, I cannot believe that the guys at summit/jegs are really researching it and getting the specifics of everyone's combo before recommending a carb. 
RECHRGED

whitehatspecial

Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Chryco Psycho

I agree to a point , picking the wrong carb can be the start of the problems but I have seen cases where the carb is not wrong & it still will not work

dkn1997

You have a good point, and from what I hear, the tech support at BG is not that great. 

I am biased because I really like my demon and I think a major factor was asking someone who knew a hell of a lot more about it than i did and having him pick it and prepare it for me.  I can tune a carb about as well as I can perform brain surgery, so if a retard like me can get one to run, then It can't be all bad, right?

I started out years ago on this motor with an eddy 750 and that ran ok too.  not quite as good as the demon, but still ok.
RECHRGED

bull

Some of you guys keep saying BG. What the heck is BG?

Silver R/T

Ive got 850 speed demon laying around, never installed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dave571

Quote from: bull on November 27, 2006, 02:29:28 PM
Some of you guys keep saying BG. What the heck is BG?

BG is Barry Grant Fuel systems.  The manufacturer of Demon carbs

dave571

As for the thread.

I run demons on everything I have, and like them.

750 mighty on my 440 car

I had a 650 speed on my 400 cid van

A 625 road demon on my 440 tow rig.

I agree with the statements that most of the issues with demons are people buying the wrong demon.   Yes there has been some quality control issues also, but I don't think that is the heart of the bad rap they have gotten.

Too big and the wrong series, is often the problem.  Just like DKN and his 850 speed demon when he should have had a 750 mighty.
850's on small blocks even worse.
Example, guy does some research, and finds for his cam and engine size he should have a 650 mighty demon  on his fairly cammed/hopped up  318 car with 410 gears.  Goes to the local speed shop and see's that the 650 mighty demon is a fair bit more money than the speed demon.  So he figures he will go with the speed instead, but bump up the size to compensate for the wrong series, and his buddy tells him he should have a vacuum  secondary on a  street car.  Goes with it.
Puts it on and can't tune it.  Idle is the pits, it bogs like heck when the secondarys open...etc.  He never will tune it.  The carb is waaaaayyyyy to big, and with a  big cam and gears.  The mighty is more sensitive to the erratic air flow of the bigger cam.
Sorry to ramble...LOL

Everyone has an opinion on carbs.  For me it's  What ever works. 
I've used eddy's and find they work well, for a throw on and go type of thing.  But wouldn't want one on my drag car.
I've never had a holley that the float didn't stick on, but I don't hate them for it.  I can understand why Chryco P likes them.  I have never under stood why a lot of holley guys dislike demons, but different strokes for different folks.
Some even  love Thermoquads, while I think they are idealy suited for long distance tosses into the garbage can...LOL.. to each thier own.

As for why they aren't at summit anymore, there are a few stories.  One is that summit was tired of the QC issues etc.  The story from BG is that they dropped summit, for a number of issues.  Both were happy to rid of each other in any case.   .02