News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone is running a Demon carb?

Started by COKE, August 06, 2006, 05:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COKE

Hello,
I would like to change my  Holley 3310  750 cfm for a  double pump and mechanical secondaries carb.
I,m doubting between the Holley and the Street Demon.Also i could to consider the Edelbrock.
Really i don,t know what kind of carb is going to be the best for my use.
It is  for  a street car  with a 440,4 speed and 3.55.
The Demon is unknew for me.I have heard that it is a very good carb.It has not choke,wich is a thing that i don,t like,though my car starts fine without the choke...
Other doubt is ,Why are they  not longer available from Summit? ???

About the Edelbrock and the holley...I ,m always hearing the same history..The Holley is better but hard for tune it up-The Edlbrock is worst but easier for tune it...
I really don,t know waht to think.

Thanks for any comment.

69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

chrisII

I have an edelbrock, its always run well without any hassles. I do have a holly that neads a rebuild and may get put back on, and am planning to try out A demon thatmy buddy has for his build up but will not be useing for a while so he offered to let me try it.

Chryco Psycho

I talked to Summit in person while in Atlanta , the explanation was that the Demons  are simply too problematic & they dropped the line due to always having to warranty them
the Best carb I have found in the 750 Range is the New Holley 750 HP street version , reasonable price & extremely tunable & you can literally feel the power increase with them , very smooth operating carb as well , 82751 is the part #

jmichaelclark

I ran a Street Demon on a 452 stroker, was great. Only problem I had was with the chock.  Called Demon, and they said, take it off. I did, and never had a problem after that.

Lord Warlock

The edelbrock is built very similar to the factory AVS Carter carb that came on the big block cars from the factory.  It tunes the same way, is very easy to adjust and tune, and so far seems to run just fine on a 440 car.  I have a Performer 750cfm carb, the factory carb was a carter 625.  The carter and performers were/are much much easier to tune than a Holley carb is, the Demon carb had a good rep in the 80s and 90s but I've never used one personally.  I've had a Holley 650 vacuum secondary carb on my 440, and a Holley 800 double pumper with manual secondaries, of the 4 carbs i've had I like the Edelbrock best...so far...but then again I haven't got the electric choke set up yet either (have it in toolbox if i get around to installing it). 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Chryco Psycho

the Eddy carbs are just AFB
the new Thunder carbs are far more similar to the AVS the factory used more often , once you understand carb tuning neither have anyhting close to the adjustability of the Holley , Demon , Proform style carbs 

kamkuda

I have had my 750 demon and 750 Edelbrock on both my 440 and small block 408.  Either will work with the Eddy being easier to tune.
The Edelbrock will run well enough out of the box.  The Demon works OK and has good potential but has a problem.  They seem to have a rich lean condition that needs to be tuned out.  It usually runs rich at idle, lean at part trottle and rich again at full throttle. 

I am using the Edelbrock on the street engine (408) I am going to a Holley for better performance with the 440

I will be selling the demon.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

kamkuda

deputycrawford

This is the first I have heard of the Demon problems. I just bolted my Mighty Demon on and slightly adjusted the idle. It runs, well, perfect. I have played with the jetting and put it back to factory specs. I love mine and would buy another in a second. What kind of problems do I look for in the future?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on August 25, 2006, 12:30:49 AM
This is the first I have heard of the Demon problems. I just bolted my Mighty Demon on and slightly adjusted the idle. It runs, well, perfect. I have played with the jetting and put it back to factory specs. I love mine and would buy another in a second. What kind of problems do I look for in the future?

The most recent issues with Demon carbs have been with quality control and poor assembly practices. Metal filings and debris inside the bowls has been a recuring complaint. As Chryco stated, Summit stopped carring the Demon line due to a high return rate. The earlier demons were often very difficult to tune as Kamkuda stated. I've worked on a few and couldn't get them to work properly. Oddly enough, most holley carbs i've used have performed very well right out of the box with a float adjustment and idle mixture/idle speed adjustments. The fuel curve on the holley carbs just seems to be dialed in better for most applications, from my experience.

That being said, if yours is working fine now, you shouldn't have any future issues with it unless you alter the engine build significantly and that carb is no longer compatible with the new combo.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

Thanks for the info Firefighter. I have had the bowls off many times for jetting and it seems fine. I'm sorry to hear about the quality problems. I guess I got lucky with mine. I hope I don't out date my carb by further build ups. I have a .575 solid lift cam on a 383 already. It is a Mighty Demon so It should take low vacum idles in the future. Thanks again.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

agree with the Fuel curve , I just swapped a demon for a street 750 HP Holley , it now idles in gear 200 rpm lower than before without stalling & the curve is much smoother as you open the throttle up , noticibly better response

RT/SE

Chryco and others who have used the new street 750 holley(#82751).  I saw this info on the carb from the holley website:

Mechanical Secondary Double Pumper
Contoured Venturii Inlet
Screw-In Changeable Air Bleeds
High Strength Sealing Surfaces
Power Valve Blow-out Protection
Tumble Polished Shiny Finish for Great Looks
Street/Strip Calibration
Lightweight Slotted Mixture Screws
Two Corner Idle System
Spun-In Down-Leg Boosters
Ford Kickdown Linkage
100% Wet Flow Tested
Fourth-Generation Power Valve Design
Built-in Secondary Fuel Filter System
Four Corner Idle

It appears that the street 750 does not have a choke.  I'm on the east coast and it can get pretty cold during the fall/winter.  Do you think this carb would work well during the colder times of the year?  I have an older holley double pumper with a manual choke.  This new holley looks pretty nice and I really like the finish.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

dodge freak

Well I live in Michigan and drive my car until the salt trucks hit the road in mid November and have no problems with the holley hp 750. The metering blocks are a little different for the idle circuit gives a better idle. It will start ice cold with 1-2 flooring the gas pedal before you turn the key. Idles ok - rough but idles ok for a few mins, untill the motor heats up .Now I have a MSD 7 box with the 8251 coil, before when I had a MSD 6 box it would stall once and a while when cold but not anymore with the 7AL box.

Chryco Psycho

the Carb is definatly worth getting , it get friggin cold where I am & you can start them until it is too the point where you would be driving it anyway
the carbs work Extremely well , the jetting & metering is usually very close & the carb is extremely smooth & works excellent on long duration cam /low vacuum engines

deputycrawford

I don't run a choke either. I live at the Ohio, Michigan border. I drive mine until it snows and never have a problem. just start it and warm it up for a minute or so. You will be surprised what a correctly metered carb will do for a car.

bull

That must have been a helluva hit to Demon getting pulled out of the Summit catalog. Or maybe that's why they were having problems to begin with -- too many carbs to produce due to demand so the quality dropped off.

Steve P.

There just is NO EXCUSE for poor quality control in America.. I believe that is one of the biggest problems with stuff MADE IN AMERICA today..    :flame:

There was a time when quality meant more than quantity..  I can remember it....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dodge freak

Yes but don't rush and blame the American worker. Look how many shops have foreigner workers today and how much the mangers push to keep the parts line moving.

Ghoste

I thought the Demons were Barry Grants Holley knockoff made to correct problems with the Holleys??

Chryco Psycho

Demons Are BG carbs that are holley based in design

Ghoste

Right.  I guess I should rephrase that.  What I meant was that it seems a little strange to read about quality issues with Demons when BG began by addressing shortcomings in the Holley line.  The issues were engineering not quality so much, but I still find a little irony in it.

Chryco Psycho

mally69

i run  a mighty demon 750  i always heard good about them until now i just dont understand  ???

well when i was first trying to start my 440 for the first time it backfiered BADLY throught the carb blowing the power valves so i had  them replaced  with holley power valves seemed good other than that