News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

imaginary build....any input appriciated

Started by Bandit72, November 12, 2006, 07:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

451 stroker using 440source 400>451 kit
edelbrock heads (84cc) w/blended bowls and gasket matching
mechanical roller lifters
roller rockers
double roller chain
MSD ignition
.576 - .582 lift/ 286 - 292 duration cam (comp cams)
(unknown intake)
750 holley or demon carb.
3500 stall converter
Full Length Tube 2" O.D. x 32", Collector Size 3.5" O.D headers
3.91 sure grip
3500 lb car

what do you all think? too much cam? what else can i do with the heads? Which intake should i use?

thanks Ryan Olson
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

firefighter3931

Ryan, what's the duration at .050 valve lift ? The headers i would change to a 17/8in primary tube and the manifold would be either an old TM6 single plane or Performer RPM dual plane.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bandit72

i'll have to recheck that next time i'm in town, i looked on compcams.com but they didn't have it listed...the number is 23-702-9. This engine will basically be a streetable drag engine...so if this is going to be too much please tell me. It isn't going to be driven everyday by any means, but i do want to be able to cruise the "main drag" on saturday night.....

firefighter3931

Yep, that's a nice cam....street roller grind so it won't be too hard on parts. If you were considering a flat tappet grind (solid cam) the xs282s is an excellent stick. It will make 500+ on your engine build and be easier to set up for the street and sav you some big $$$.

Roller cams need a bonze gear, expensive roller lifters and expensive valvesprings and rocker arms. All things to consider when sorting out the build. With the solid cam you can run ductile rocker arms and the stock e-head valvesprings....that saves a bunch of money and maintenance. Not trying to talk you out of the roller cam....just trying to explain the added costs and maintenance.

Here's a dyno sheet for the XS282S on a 440 that is basicly identical to what you're building.  ;D

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dave571

Does that 440 source kit come with the crank etc?

If so, my question would be, why wouldn't you step up to the 500" kit, for the price difference?

If it doesn't come with the crank, I'm assuming you have a 440 cranki already, and it will save some cash?
Just a thought .02

Steve P.

The dyno sheet Ron posted is a stock forged 440 crank with good rods and Ross flat tops.  That was also @ 2300 feet above sea level on crappy 91 octane gas.   And by the way, it SCREWS..... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Bandit72

Quote from: dave571 on November 27, 2006, 10:39:47 PM
Does that 440 source kit come with the crank etc?

If so, my question would be, why wouldn't you step up to the 500" kit, for the price difference?

If it doesn't come with the crank, I'm assuming you have a 440 cranki already, and it will save some cash?
Just a thought .02

yes the 440source kit comes with a crank, the reason i'm going with the 451 is because i've heard the 451 is more "streetable" and this engine is going to be driven on the street probably more often than on a strip....