News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the cost of fuel slowing your Charger ?

Started by 71 Bee Man, August 01, 2006, 11:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

I'm interested to see if the incredible rising cost of fuel is stopping you guys in the U.S from driving your cars as much these days.

I just did a quick conversion online, and if my calculations are correct, here in Australia we're paying roughly $4.20 U.S per U.S Gallon of fuel.

In reality it costs us about $1.50 per litre here in Australia and I think there's about 3.8 litres in a U.S gallon. That with the dollar conversion rate gives $4.20.

I have a 71 Superbee, and I know it's certainly put a dent in my Sunday driving.

Peter
Sydney, Australia. :'(
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

It doesn't really put a dent in my Chargering.  I get more concerned with the other idiots on the road whacking my car so I tend to not drive it quite as much.  Just the other day my Dad was teaching me how to drive the Model T.  We drove up and down the street a few times and drove about 5 miles in total.  The car runs on aviation fuel that costs $5 a gallon and the T gets worse mileage than most Chargers.  The cost of driving it never came to my mind but the dumb twit that cut me off sure got my heart beating.  Mechanical brakes and driving a car I'm not familiar with don't lend themselves well to stopping.

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

bull

My engine is sitting on the garage floor, so no, it isn't.

Todd Wilson

It has cut down some on my Charger driving but I am busy now with other things so I havent had much time to drive the Chargers.

The price of gas has not made the decision for me to not attend an event. I have went to all the events I have wanted to go to this summer without considering gas prices.   

I have how ever cut down on my cruising around town for no reason. I have daily drove the 69 a few times but for some reason this summer I have been more like 257165791194  and not driven much because I am scared of the idiots out there. 

I only drive my 2 Dodge trucks now for truck needs.  Fuel prices have dictated that direction with my trucks and they are both sitting more then they are being driven. We are daily driving and traveling in the 4 cyl. Dodge Caliber and the old Honda Prelude. I have to do this in order to have gas money to drive the Chargers on those rare occasions. I have cut down on my gas usage this last 2 years  yet my gas bill every month keeps going up.

Todd

dodge freak

Heck yeah it has. When it was 1.40 or so I was burning 5-10 gallons when I went out for the day. I haven't burn 10 gallons of gas in one day yet this year. Hasn't slowed me down at all, still have a lead foot, but it has cut my driving time down.

Speaking of other drivers, I am sick of seeing these pick ups and Suv's driving so slow to get better milage, they want better milage get a car, don't drive like a old lady. :yesnod:

bluesfool

Yes, it has. I was hoping to go to some shows this year that are a little farther away from where I live so I could see some cars I haven't seen before but it's not working out so well. Plus I'm not taking the Charger on regular errands much anymore either  :'(

rich4406bbl

Nope, not in the least. I get alot of enjoyment behind the wheel of it and I'm not going to let the price of gas stop me. And it shouldn't stop anyone else either. How many of you out there dropped big bucks on NOS parts and now complain about the price of gas? A friend of mine paid $800.00 for a set of NOS wheel well moldings for his 68RT and then complains about the gas prices.  I told him I don't want to hear it. Spent 40 grand restoring the car and now complains that it costs him 65.00 to fill it instead of 45.00. Just shut up,  drive the damn car and have some fun!!!!

NYCMille

I spent $210.00 on gas for the Charger for the month of July... it's definitely a bite in ass, BUT worth every penny.

Ghoste

Nope.  If it were a daily driver my song might change but it's a toy.

chargerboy69

Not at all. In fact I have drivin it more this year than last.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Troy

Nope, my Chargers are already hard to push around without filling the tanks full of gas... ;)

The Barracuda actually gets almost as good of mileage as my truck so there's really no difference in driving either one every day. The CTD Ram gets the best mileage but all the other maintenance is a killer! Plus, it's a pain to park. When the Chargers are drivable my decision will be based on where I'm going and what time of the day it is (so I can avoid the most idiots) instead of the price of gas. Fixing a scratch, dent, or busted grill costs a lot more than the gas would.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lowprofile

Being a truck driver, fuel prices effect my life everyday. Just yesterday, I topped off the truck ........$570 for 180 gallons [roughly]..........As far as the Charger goes, it hasn't run on its own power in 14 years!  :icon_smile_dead: But I'm working on that!

Besides, as rich4406bbl said, after spending big bucks restoring/fixing your Charger, why complain about fuel prices? Just drive it and enjoy!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Dale The Bold

Quote from: NYCMille on August 02, 2006, 07:29:48 AM
I spent $210.00 on gas for the Charger for the month of July... it's definitely a bite in ass, BUT worth every penny.
Yeah, it's a bite in the ass, but it's easy to put that much into parts and repairs on a random month.  I'm delighted if I can spend a few hundred on the road, rather than spending it getting on the road.  Having spent the past two months waiting for my engine to be finished, I know all too well the cost of not getting to drive the car vs. spending the cash on gas.

I doubt I'll spend on gas in five years what I just spent on engine work in two months.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Arigmaster

The gas prices haven't cut my driving... I have 4 years to make up for while it was in pieces.  :icon_smile_big:

The only thing that really bugs me it the little twits in their poser outfits driving their little rice grinders like idiots out on HWy 100. I live near there and have to go through that area pretty often so it makes me a bit nervous than I have the car out.

694spdRT

I have been short of time not gas money this year for some reason. With the exception of the Jefferson City meet I have driven about 100 miles total this year in all of my classics.

The few weekends I did want to get something out it was either 100 degrees or raining.  :-\ 

While I don't like the price of gas it will not affect my driving habits of the classics.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Blakcharger440

69charger2002

i still drive them when i get time.. mainly weekends
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

19Charger68

We only take out 68 out of the garage for shows and a few short drives.  The price of gas has made me consider how far I want to drive it to shows however.  We are pretty much staying around the local circuit.  As others have expressed, the other consideration is the number of stupid, carless drivers out there.  Much as we love driving it I can't stand the thought of losing it because some idiot doesn't know how to drive.
Bruce

greenpigs

Quote from: dodge freak on August 02, 2006, 04:48:20 AM
Heck yeah it has. When it was 1.40 or so I was burning 5-10 gallons when I went out for the day. I haven't burn 10 gallons of gas in one day yet this year. Hasn't slowed me down at all, still have a lead foot, but it has cut my driving time down.

Speaking of other drivers, I am sick of seeing these pick ups and Suv's driving so slow to get better milage, they want better milage get a car, don't drive like a old lady. :yesnod:

:iagree:

If an extra $50 is going to break you, there are bigger problems my friend that need addressed.

My truck get 13 mpg all city driving and I live with that..however I could see slowing down on the interstate. That means doing the speed limit.

Tha dust collector sits so it doesn't matter.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Graham496_SE

My charger is still on a boat floating around the ocean somewhere.

I'm not concerened with the current price of fuel, but clearly this is only the begining and prices will get alot worse. So it does worry me a bit.

At least I don't smoke though, who'd wanna spend 50 dollars a week giving themselves lung cancer so the public health system can try and keep them alive. ??? I hate it that my taxes pay for that. Not wanting to offend any smokers, its all about budgeting money thats all.

Driving a muscle car is fun.