News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pressure gauge

Started by TheCob, July 28, 2006, 04:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCob

I think that my oil pressure gauge is busted. It stays at the lowest point possible and never moves. I checked the oil and it's full, but no pressure reading. What should I ckeck first? I have no idea how the gauge works so any info on the ststem will be much appreciated. It's a '73 Charger SE, 318, AT.

resq302

What I would do to make sure you have oil pressure is get a mechanical oil pressure gauge.  They do not cost that much and are a lot more reliable than the electronic ones.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Plumcrazy

The oil pressure sending unit is just to the passenger side of the distributor on your car.  It will probably have a single grey wire running to it.
With the key on and someone watching the gauge, ground the wire to the engine and see what happens. 

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Wakko

I agree with the mechanical.  You can put a T in there and run both the factory and an aftermarket mechanical gauge if you like, it's what's planned for my car.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Brock Samson

hey guys...
I'm needing some THIRD Gen. Rallye Dash placement and mounting ideas...

Conventional:
Placing the tach above the steering wheel with a large hose clamp anda Mech. oil pres. under the dash center?...

or..
on top of the dash...
anyone do that?.. and how?..

On the third gen cars...
can the panel held by two screws above the rally dash facia,
be drilled so the guages can hang from it?...
(I think the map light is sometimes located there..if ya' have that option. which i dont).
can the senders and wires be routed thru the firewall from that location?...

or  Ricer:

hanging in/on the A pillar?..  :icon_smile_big:

I also thought about mounting them just ahead of the windshield on the hood, if i can do it without disfiguring anything...

So, pics of your installations?..   :scope:

Ghoste

Don't have pics Brock but my personal favorite if you are soliciting opinions would be the conventional route. ;D

TheCob

Thanks for all the input. I'll test the gauge using the ground out method. How hard is it to replace the electric gauge with a mech one? Thanks again,

Ghoste

If you mean just hanging one under the dash, it isn't hard at all.  If you are talking about retrofitting one into the exisiting instrument panel and having it look stock, that's a little more involved. :icon_smile_wink:

TylerCharger69

As everyone probably knows....my goal was to delete all unnecessary electrical components possible.    I learned that 1 1/2 inch aftermarket mechanical gauges fit snugly inside the holes of the dash where the stock gauges were  which I thought was a big bonus  because I didn't have to do much altering  except for cutting some of the metal  where the circuitry is for the electrical BS.    But!!!   Try finding a fuel gauge in a 1 1/2 version.....that was a task!!!