News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GPS Tracking device for vehicle security

Started by 4402tuff4u, February 11, 2016, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

Was wondering if anyone here has bought a GPS tracking device for their classic mopar for security reasons. I have Lo jack on mine but it's old technology, large and have been having some issues with battery life. These new units I have researched are compact, easily hidden out of view and provide software that iPhone or other smart phone can display location on a map, on your phone screen. Battery life on these new units is pretty good because it uses power only when you activate it to check on your ride or the unit is activated due to unexpected motion. Any recommendations?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

How does GPS protect the car?  It would just help the law to find it (abandoned, wrecked or chopped up).

Of course I never got the point of Lojack, so I'm just low tech guy.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68X426

Quote from: myk on February 13, 2016, 09:15:54 AM
What don't you understand about LoJack?

How does it make a car secure?  It's a tracking device, right?  So how does it prevent theft, damage, vandalism?

I understand it helps find the car, but that's after the fact, so I don't get how it makes anything secure.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

Install a manual transmission and automatically 90% of people below age 35 will be unable to steal your car.

Dino

Quote from: bull on February 13, 2016, 03:40:16 PM
Install a manual transmission and automatically 90% of people below age 35 will be unable to steal your car.

:smilielol:

You're not lying though.  Last year one of my professors asked a class of 40-ish how many could drive stick and only 4 raised their hands.  I was a bit shocked.

GPS is a must.  If they want your car then it'll be gone.  But at least you'll have a fighting chance to get it back.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NHCharger

I have a GPS tracking device from Brickhouse Security. Costs $20.00/month for monitoring fee.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

myk

Quote from: 68X426 on February 13, 2016, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: myk on February 13, 2016, 09:15:54 AM
What don't you understand about LoJack?

How does it make a car secure?  It's a tracking device, right?  So how does it prevent theft, damage, vandalism?

I understand it helps find the car, but that's after the fact, so I don't get how it makes anything secure.

I've never seen LoJack as a security device.  As a matter of fact, LoJack markets their products as "Vehicle recovery systems."  There's no duplicity or intent to deceive anyone with their products...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Lord Warlock

had a nice GPS tracker from garmin (GTU10) that was reasonable for the tracking package, but they terminated service on it this year claiming they were changing to newer cellular network and old unit wouldn't work anymore.  too bad, it worked great and let us check up on our daughter, such as when she was driving across state to visit could tell exactly where she was.  Used it to track her location secretly while she lived at home...she couldn't be trusted with a car, she'd drive out of town any chance she got.

wish I could find a replacement with tracking for less than 10 bucks a month. looking at trackimo, not sure if its any good or not. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

v21hemicharger

Quote from: 68X426 on February 13, 2016, 03:29:29 AM

How does GPS protect the car?  It would just help the law to find it (abandoned, wrecked or chopped up).

Of course I never got the point of Lojack, so I'm just low tech guy.

You can set up geofences and get text alerts when the vehicle goes outside the fence.  Also has rapid tracking.

http://www.rmtracking.com/

Lord Warlock

the more I've read about trackimo the more i'm tempted to pick one up, only now the kid I didn't trust in my car is 400 miles away and little need to be tracking a 20 year old. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

DixieRestoParts

These systems look interesting. Has anyone installed in an older car without obd system? Will it still work?

I'd love to put in my musclecar's in case of theft or "unauthorized" use. Also, wouldn't be bad to put in a teenager's car.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Lord Warlock

I installed the GTU10, with a hardwire kit into the daughters car, wired to the battery so it wouldn't need recharging or removal to charge again.  It also will tell you if the battery is about to die and text mssg me when that happened. It did not use an OBD system.  The trackimo also has a hard wire kit available, and would probably work well for a teenagers car, cost is approximately 140 bucks and first year is free monitoring, 5 bucks a month afterward, about the cheapest deal I've seen.  If I wanted to track the kids car, that is probably what i'd attempt to do it with.  Just thinking my daughter probably no longer needs to be tracked, at least not by me, if the wife wants me to do it, can try that later.

myk

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on February 27, 2016, 09:45:48 AM
These systems look interesting. Has anyone installed in an older car without obd system? Will it still work?

I'd love to put in my musclecar's in case of theft or "unauthorized" use. Also, wouldn't be bad to put in a teenager's car.

Problem is the power source.  If you hook it up to the battery then depending on how much the car is driven you could run it down before long.  Or, someone steals the car, they cut the battery and now the GPS is dead.  You could try a unit with its own battery but then you're charging it constantly.  I don't know.  I think the Lo Jack for classics is the only viable alternative...

stripedelete

Quote from: myk on February 28, 2016, 01:29:14 AM
You could try a unit with its own battery but then you're charging it constantly. 

My buddy used one to monitor his soon-to-be ex's trips to the boyfriends house.  The charge large lasted about 4 months.   Not too bad.