News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic cars in Cuba

Started by PocketThunder, August 03, 2006, 01:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

How cool would it be to go to cuba for a month or so and walk around on the streets seeing all the classic cars from the 40's and 50's driving around like its modern day 1958?  It would be like a time warp.  Being 31 this was well before my time but i am fascinated with the 50's, as a second hobby to my Chargers ofcourse. 

Click on the little white hand in the corners of the picture to see the next car..

http://www.cuba-automobiles.com/Cuba_s_Classic_American_Automo/1959_Oldsmobile_88_Havana/1959_oldsmobile_88_havana.html
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Nice find, PT! :thumbs:
Now & then in movies I notice all the old 50's style cars driving around. In the older flicks, I didn't think much of it, but I saw one recently (I forget the title) that was done in the mid 90's & they were STILL driving about the same type of cars! :o

I heard somewhere that some Cuban automakers bought a bunch of the old dies from GM & others before the Cuban revolution & that's what they were making their new cars from, even clear into the 80's...a brand new 1982 '57 Chevy! Weird.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Drache

Even down in Mexico City you see alot of 60-70s darts and such driving around!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

4402tuff4u

I would'nt mind getting my hands on that 59 Chevy Impala (cat eyes tail lights)! Thanks for sharing. I have a friend that knew a group of investors that were putting together a business to go down there and buy a mess of these cars. They were having difficulties with the State Dept regarding doing busines with Cuba. 
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Bandit72

i want that 57 dodge custom royal lancer convertable   :drool5:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

mopar1

JimShine

Yeah, you always see old cars and trucks on the roads when they show Cuba. When the trade opens up with them, I can assure the cars will be one of the first items exported back to the US.

When i visited LA, I couldn't believe the amount of 60's cars I saw still on the roads and in decent, original condition.

Sweet T

I was in Cuba back in January.  I do have to say it was pretty neat to see all the old cars.  The only cars you see down there are old American cars, Lada's, and Peugots(or however you spell it).  I may be going back early next year if I see and old Mopars I'll take some shots.  Chevy's seemed to be the most popular around where I was staying.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

doctorpimp

There are tons of old 55 Chevys there.  It seems like there is one old Chevy for every new car...
If you ever get to go, go to old Havana.  They have mid 50's convertables in use as taxis!  All types, I saw a beautiful Olds Rocket 88 - Taxi!!!
Too bad about the embargo  ;)
There are flights leaving from Canada almost daily for an all-inclusive spot.  They also don't stamp your passport there... :icon_smile_cool:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

dkn1997

anyone see the news a couple of years ago where they took a pretty solid 50's chevy pickup and strapped 50 gallon drums to it and tried to float to florida on it?
RECHRGED

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 05, 2006, 08:48:49 AM
anyone see the news a couple of years ago where they took a pretty solid 50's chevy pickup and strapped 50 gallon drums to it and tried to float to florida on it?

I remember that....it was a large truck I believe.They rigged the drive shaft to run the prop.  Coast Guard got the people off and sunk it.

BBD

greenpigs

My boss at the old job escaped from Cuba, him his brother and an uncle made it in an old fishing boat. He loved his new Buick since all they had were the old stuff from the 50's. He told me junk yards didn't really exist as parts are scarce and prized. He would tell me they fixed whatever broke because of the lack of replacement parts and thought it was funny that many times things just needed rebuilt, but us Americans just tossed the part instead. 
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

PocketThunder

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on August 05, 2006, 07:10:29 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on August 05, 2006, 08:48:49 AM

I remember that....it was a large truck I believe.They rigged the drive shaft to run the prop.  Coast Guard got the people off and sunk it.

BBD

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

At least they have life jackets. ;D

I think a year or two before that, they tried it in an old Pontiac or something too.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Bandit72 on August 03, 2006, 02:47:33 PM
i want that 57 dodge custom royal lancer convertable   :drool5:

SAME AS MEEEEEEEEE :drool5:

A friend of mine has a 58

Quote from: Drache on August 03, 2006, 01:49:03 PM
Even down in Mexico City you see alot of 60-70s darts and such driving around!

Same here. Mostly still like cabs. Coronets too
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html