News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valve cover bolts

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 03, 2006, 08:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

HAs anyone else had problems getting a socket on the bolts with the aftermarket mopar valve covers?
IS there such a thing as a special valve cover bolt that has a smaller head, like 3/8 or 1/4 socket size?

firefighter3931

Heath, do you have a 1/4in drive socket set ? The sockets on a 1/4in drive have a thinner wall and work on most aftermarket valve covers. ARP also sells several different types of bolts with different head style...12 point, hex head etc...Personally, i like the arp stud kit for aftermarket valvecovers.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AmadeusCharger500

That is a good idea. I will just need to purchase an 1/4 extension then.
The other thing I don't understand. These valve covers always come with nice new bolts that are too short!
They are about 3/4 inch thread length and they need to be at least an inch.
I checked summit and the arp vavle cover bolts are the same length.
Why is this? Am I missing something?

firefighter3931

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on August 03, 2006, 10:00:37 AM
The other thing I don't understand. These valve covers always come with nice new bolts that are too short!
They are about 3/4 inch thread length and they need to be at least an inch.
I checked summit and the arp vavle cover bolts are the same length.
Why is this? Am I missing something?

Your other option would be to go to a fastner store and purchase the bolts there. A nice caphead bolt with an allen head should be readily available in a 1in length. Then all you need is a T-handle allen wrench to tighten them down. I used those in the past but have since gone to the studs.

Good question on the bolt length.....3/4in works for a factory stamped steel cover but it is too short for an aftermarket cover.  :P
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I had the MP aluminum covers on my engine "back in the day"  I had to grind down a 7/16" socket to get it to fit the lower bolt heads....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TylerCharger69

I agree with Firefighter on the 1/4 inch socket set.   That's really all you want to use on those valve covers anyway because they don't require a whole lot of torque.   When I bought my cast aluminum valve covers through Jeg's, they came with longer bolts, however, they were still too short once the gasket was put into place.  I've also learned that with these valve covers, speaking of the black wrinkle finish version,  it's best to sand off the black finish at the mating surface because once they get heat for the first time, they lose their seal because of the black matter breaking down.   I, myself, used a good bead of black silicone on the head mating surface AND on the valve cover mating surface because I learned that since these valve covers are solid  and have no flex whatsoever,  they leak really easily unless a liberal amount of sealant is used.   Just my experiences anyway.

Runner

arp stude kit with 12 point nuts work very nice 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

simple Black allen head / socket bolts work great