News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

edelbrock victor heads

Started by 68chargerboy, August 02, 2006, 01:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

i was wondering if the 75 cc victor heads would be good for a street strip machine.  with these heads the compresion will be around 11.9.    thanks

Zach

Mefirst

Over at Moparts there have been a couple threads about the Eddy Victor heads. People  have been positive to them. It will be interesting to see how they perform once they are out on the market. The heads use off-set rockers and have raised intake ports, so they wont accept stock rockers or intakes...

/Tom

Ghoste

Aren't many of the higher performance heads they are designed to compete against like that?

471_Magnum

Quote from: 68chargerboy on August 02, 2006, 01:28:50 PM
i was wondering if the 75 cc victor heads would be good for a street strip machine. with these heads the compresion will be around 11.9.

Unless you're planning on making over 600 hp, the Performer RPM heads are probably better suited for a street/strip application.  11.9:1 won't be pump gas friendly... not even close.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

68chargerboy

can i run higher compresion with a higher octane fuel?

kamkuda

Quote from: 68chargerboy on August 06, 2006, 12:29:04 AM
can i run higher compresion with a higher octane fuel?

Sure, You can buy the gas by the can.  You just can't get it at the gas station.

Ghoste

Unless you live near someplace that sells race fuel at the pump.  At 5+ a gallon though you'll want a decent income.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mefirst on August 02, 2006, 07:03:45 PM
The heads use off-set rockers and have raised intake ports, so they wont accept stock rockers or intakes...

/Tom

Tom is correct on the rocker fitment, but the Victor head is compatible with a stock intake manifold, or any manifold that has a stock bolt pattern & port arrangement.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68chargerboy

are the e heads closed chambers.

Ghoste

If you are talking about the Performer heads, they can be had open or closed.  If you mean the Victor, I'm not sure but I think they can only be had in a closed style.

Chryco Psycho

the closed chamber Rpm is not a real closed Chamber the  volume is too large to be practical unless you are building a larger CI stroker , open chamber is 88 cc , closed is only 84 cc

Ghoste

Hijacking now, but what would call small enough to be practical?  What would you consider a big enough CI to utilize the Performer closed chamber and work?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 10, 2006, 03:50:48 AM
the closed chamber Rpm is not a real closed Chamber the  volume is too large to be practical unless you are building a larger CI stroker , open chamber is 88 cc , closed is only 84 cc

Depends on the intended use. If you're building a street/strip 440 with a zero deck tight quench flattop piston....the 84cc closed chamber RPM head is perfect. The resulting compression is 10.5:1  :thumbs: Several companies make a standard 2.065 compression height piston that requires minimal deck surfacing to achieve the zero deck benchmark. Using a small 75cc chamber would raise the compression ratio out of the pump gas range with any of these off the shelf pistons, inmo. The small chamber means you're now looking at a custom piston which adds cost to the build....assuming you want to dial in the static compression for pump fuel.

Building a 493 is just as easy. Diamond carries an off the shelf piston with a 12cc inverted dome (dish) that works perfect with an 84cc closed chamber.....zero decked it results in a 10.5:1 CR. Again going with a smaller chamber would require a custom piston to dial in the street friendly CR.

It really depends on what you're looking to build and ultimately how much power you want. The bigger head will make more power, but then you risk breaking the block.  :P At 600hp you're pretty safe with a factory block.....beyond that it's russian roulette.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mike DC

True dat about the block. 

I've also heard cases of big-time stroker motors gaining as much as 20-30 hp just from swapping to an aftermarket block alone.  Stiffer cylinder walls.

But there is some amount of mental blockage in the hobby against spending money on engine blocks.  A lot of guys are ready and willing to spend $2000 for 40 more hp out of some hot new cylinder heads, but they balk at the idea of dropping $2K on a race block.