News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How does the rear Chrome trim install on a 68 console?

Started by Corellian Corvette, August 02, 2006, 01:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

I'm trying to put my 68 console back together properly and I sence i'm mising parts.

In particular, how does the rear piece of chrome mount to the console? I can see there is a piece of steel that mounts to the bottom (the part that gets carpet over it) - but there are some screws inside that piece that must mount somewhere? Is there another mounting piece that I'm missing?

If anyone has assembly pics or closeups of their consoles that would be awesome.

Thanks!

JimShine

Two screws mount it to that bent piece of carpeted metal. There are two tabs on the top of the chrome piece that sit inside a lip of the console body. Often that lip gets chipped over time and allows the chrome piece to pop away at the top.

8WHEELER

Quote from: JimShine on August 02, 2006, 01:18:12 AM
Two screws mount it to that bent piece of carpeted metal. There are two tabs on the top of the chrome piece that sit inside a lip of the console body. Often that lip gets chipped over time and allows the chrome piece to pop away at the top.

:iagree:  if the top back portion of the pastic gets broken, you will most likely not get it to stay in place. But if it is good, put
that back piece in and up using the tabs on the plastic console to hold it in position, then put the screws in the bottom holes.
They are a chrome philips screws.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Corellian Corvette

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. So here goes.

Pic #1 you can see the screws on the back of the trim.

Pic #2 you can see that I don't know where those screws mount :)

8WHEELER

Hey Albert
There are no screws going into the upper portion on the plastic housing. It looks like you have one tab left that
is screwed into the upper portion of the chrome piece that is the tab. After you screw the sheetmetal part
that the chrome backing piece is on now, on to the bottom of the plastic housing, you will see what we mean.

If you need some help I can come over......................

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

TylerCharger69

Actually...the screws that you see on the inside of the top of that rear chrome piece actually  house  little tabs  which slide upwards into the console itself holding the top in place.  It appears you have one of the tabs broken off,  but that's an easy fabrication to make one.

B5 Charger

Forgive my rough paint shop diagram but you need to fabricate two little sheet metal tabs.  The originals looked something like what you see in the diagram.  They attach to the two upper screw holes on your back plate and the tabs engage the rear lip of the console.  Like you said a picture is worth a thousand words.

Well, I had a picture but it won't let me upload a bitmap image to the board.  Send me a PM and I'll email it to you.