News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Really need some help with this!!!!

Started by MadScientist, July 26, 2006, 10:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

I normally dont post with obscure subject headings, but I really do need some assistance!  When my car was wet sanded, the persons involved left a bunch of the residue inside the cowl vent area (among other places) see pic . It sat like this for over 3 years with this stuff and now its like cement This crap is EXTREMELY hard to get off.  The only thing that takes it off is denatured alcohol, but it also likes to take paint with it.  So my question is how to either 1) get inside my cowl to clean it out or 2) paint it with a rattle can of plum crazy?

Thanks in advance,

MS

tan top

when i done mine i wiped the cowel out by tapeing some rag on a paint stir stick use  paint degreaser or water and reaching up the vent holes from inside under the dash  , be carefull  you don't get your hand / arm stuck( i did ) . :bawling: or strach the paint in side the cowel.   also use the wiper pivot hole ( in side) takes a long time but it works .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Doc74

Usually something like this ends up in repair and repaint but by any chance you don't happen to have a steam/vacuum cleaner or a separate steam gizmo like the ones on the shopping network ?
If the paint's not chipped too much it'll hold up as long as you don't start scratching it and most grime will get removed with steam.
A high pressure washer with steam capabilities will get it off too, along with some or a lot of paint and will really test how waterproof that part of your car is : )

Before trying alcohols, thinners and solvents, try hot water and a good detergent, it's like removing flies from the front bumper, nothing better than hot water and soap, thinners just turn the blood pink...

If you really can't get it off or if you're gonna end up with a messy cowl, drive up to a bodyshop and let them make a price for sanding, primer and paint, shouldn't be all that much.

Good luck

mopar_madman

try some dupont prep sol or a mild polish like meguiars #9
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Todd Wilson

I am still fighting this on my 71 after a year and a half. I think I got the car all detailed and theres white residue somewhere or it comes back.    Doc is right. Use warm water and maybe some auto soap. The key is to get it softened up and then use what ever you can to wipe it clean.  On my 71 I can get at it from underneath with the hood open so I use a standard white handkerchief  between. Maybe you can use this with a popcicle stick or something. A micro fober towl might also work well as it wont scratch the paint.

Todd

MadScientist

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try the stepwise approach.  First soap and water and see how much I can get off, then maybe some weak solvents.  Im not worried about scratching it since its in the box itself.  I just need to get rid of or cover up the white mess thats in there.  I will try it on Sat.and let you know what happens!

MS

4402tuff4u

I have the same condition in my Charger that was just recently painted three months ago. I have to take it back to the painter cause he wants to buff it again, anyway I'm going to ask him to clean the white residue. I wonder how he is going to do that. The only way I see he will be able to do that would be with a liquid cleaner - possible a silicone based product that he can spray and wipe with something that he can stick in between the grill or pressure wash with garden hose.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

MadScientist

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have this same problem......I wonder if you can get a rattle can with a WD-40 type extended nozzle to spray color inbetween the grill slats
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MadScientist

Well I scrubbed it out this weekend and it looks a bit better, but the grille itself is a mess.  Its going to have to be re-shot to really make it better. Ugh.  Im going to live with it now and take care of it and other trouble spots with a repaint in a few years.  It'll drive me nuts, but I really need to dirve this car! :-)

MS

Ghoste

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Ghoste on July 31, 2006, 08:40:14 PM
What's the matter with the grille?

Just trying to get rid of the white residue from inside and between the cowling/grill just below the windshield. This residue is from wet sanding, waxing and buffing from when the body guy does his final polishing work. This white residue is kind of tuff to remove due to the location where is at - there is no easy access to the inside of the cowling and the stuff is pretty hard to take off in the first place.

Ghoste

Oh okay, I was under the impression it was just in the cowl and that you had a new problem with the grille.

MadScientist

Yeah, the residue is from the wet sanding process.  it just wasnt completely removed when it was competed and is now cemented in place. 

MS

Ghoste

Are we talking about the grille at the front of the car or the grille over the cowl?

4402tuff4u

Cowl. As shown in the pictures above.

Ghoste

That's where I got messed up, when I saw grille, I started thinking you meant the one at the front of the car.  Sorry.