News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hauling Canada to U.S.

Started by h76, August 01, 2006, 09:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h76

What is needed to haul car across border into U.S.?

dodge freak

A good lawyer. I am not joking , its a real problem to buy a car in Canada and then get it register here in the states to drive. The older ones are easier but sometimes the state workers don't know or care. Canada has different safety and emission standards, thats the main problem. Some states are better than others , but I don't know which ones. I just have hear its not easy , and sometimes impossible to do. Sometimes you are better off just swapping Vin's on a rust bucket, but you still have to get in to the states. Not too easy anymore.

h76

dodge freak

Well you could call and ask the office that you would go to register the car what do you have to do, or better yet go in person. Some states are ok I think, so thats who I would ask. Might also want to talk to customs on what needs to be done. I never did it just hear its a pain sometimes.

Chryco Psycho

Call the US border , ther will not be any duty as it was built in the US but other issues will arise 

dodgecharger-fan

Yeah, I think the real problems you might face have more to do with registering the car in the destination state rather than any issues at the border.

The Transport Canada website (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm) lists this site for any reference to exporting a car out of Canada into the U.S.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

h76

I got some info on it and it's going to be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth.Thanks for the info.

lee

I live in Canada I if I were to bring a car across its cheaper if it is 30 years or older only pay 1 tax then and then pay another tax if it has air condition, and you have to have the paper at the border 72 hours prior to you bringng it through but its easier to bring one up here then down there because of the lax laws like emission

Dodge Don

Quote from: lee on August 02, 2006, 05:04:41 PM
I live in Canada I if I were to bring a car across its cheaper if it is 30 years or older only pay 1 tax then and then pay another tax if it has air condition, and you have to have the paper at the border 72 hours prior to you bringng it through but its easier to bring one up here then down there because of the lax laws like emission

I did it...US to Canada. No Duty but you have to pay GST at border and then PST (based on a appraisal value or purchase price...whichever is higher...naturally) when you register the car.

72 hours is correct. US Customs (exit point office) must have title/docs to do a search to make sure car is not stolen/involved in ongoing police investigation etc......they stamp your docs then you stop at Canada Customs.