News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DRIVING WHILE ON THE CELL PHONE

Started by Steve P., August 02, 2006, 02:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fast4u

The wife got a Blue Tooth just for that reason......she's an RN and is probably the most responsible person I know!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: 2fast4u on August 02, 2006, 11:45:03 PM

The wife got a Blue Tooth just for that reason......she's an RN and is probably the most responsible person I know!

2fast

Same route I went. :yesnod:

No dialling, no opening/closing a phone, no pushing buttons on the wheel/dash and no taking your eyes off the road.

Even with the Blue Tooth I try to keep all calls short and to the point.

Also agree with a previous comment about the increase in people text messaging while driving. :flame:

While bringing the "69 home last night, I saw no less than 5 drivers passing me (I was doing 65 in a 60) with their hands at the top of the wheel gleefully texting away. ::)

For the most part they seemed completely oblivious to everything around them too. :rotz:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

firefighter3931

Steve, sorry i didn't respond earlier....just noticed this thread and realized this had something to do with the pics you mailed me. I couldn't agree more ; most people have a hard enough time keeping their car between the white lines and talking on the phone is just another distraction they don't need. I've been to a number of MVA's where cellphones were a mitigating factor. Things aren't so funny when you're being cut out of your busted up car because you weren't paying attention to the road.  :icon_smile_dead:

I hope the kids make out OK and heal up quick from this ordeal. As for Mr. Landrover....nail his ass to the wall....he deserves it !

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 03, 2006, 03:13:45 PM
I've been to a number of MVA's where cellphones were a mitigating factor. Things aren't so funny when you're being cut out of your busted up car because you weren't paying attention to the road. 

Ever been to a MVA where the fumbling to feed a CD into the radio was a mitigating factor? Is outlawing radios the answer?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 03, 2006, 05:21:54 PM
Ever been to a MVA where the fumbling to feed a CD into the radio was a mitigating factor? Is outlawing radios the answer?

Not that i can remember John. I sure do see and hear (from co-workers) about cell related MVA's. Perhaps if folks just pulled over while they were talking it would eliminate most of the "collisions". There is a difference between an accident and a collision.....one is avoidable and the other isn't. If you're talking on the cellphone and rear end someone at a red light....that is anat fault collision, pure and simple.  :Twocents:

The reality is that cities are becoming overpopulated and traffic is congested. More vehicles means more opportunities for accidents/collisions. Drivers need to focus their attention 100% on the task at hand.  :yesnod: I won't even get into the number of times i've been cut off while responding to a call by some idiot who was talking on a cell and managed to miss a 20ton rig barreling up on his left with lights and sirens blaring.  >:(

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

When I get into my vehicle to go where there are lots of other cars my purpose is to get from point A to point B without crashing, and that requires some attention to detail. I wish other drivers were the same way. There has been more than one occasion where if I had not been focused on the task I would have gotten myself tangled up in a wreck. One recent example was when two cars decided to change into he same lane in front of me. One guy saw the other at the last second, overcorrected and started fish-tailing all over the place at 60 mph and I had to bob and weave to get around him w/o being hit. Had I been doing something other than driving I most likely would have crashed. When you get into a car just drive the car, and if you aren't adept enough to change the radio station or talk on the cell phone without killing someone, don't do it! Just drive the friggin' car!

mikepmcs

Amen to that one, seen that a million times.  Fire rescue, amb, or police, it's like no one even cares...WTF? Pull over people.  It's like, I'm gonna race em cause I think I can make it to my turn before they get to me.  I think the world is just getting too much in a rush that the level of caring has gone out the window(do they realize a persons life is in the balance).  Ok that was off the cell phone deal, but I could write a book on the stupid stuff I see on the road.  I drive 150 miles a day round trip and I see some rediculous stuff on the road.  Don't even get me started on the merging onto a major highway doing about 20 til you actually reach the highway, what is that???? :flame:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

Quote from: mikepmcs on August 03, 2006, 06:16:52 PM
 Don't even get me started on the merging onto a major highway doing about 20 til you actually reach the highway, what is that???? :flame:

Sorry if I get you started but yes, exactly. Who in their right mind thinks it's wise to enter a freeway at 30-40 mph? That's why I hate those stupid on-ramp signals. Those things are the brainchild of a pure moron. They waste fuel and they create dangerous situations because often the distance between the light and the freeway isn't adequate for some cars to get up to speed. As it is you have to idle your car for five minutes just to get to the light and then stand on the throttle and try getting from 0-60 in six seconds. Then there's those reader boards that inform drivers of problems ahead. The concept would be fine if half the population were literate but instead the drivers who can only read one word every five seconds have to slow down to take it all in, which creates chronic slowdowns wherever the reader boards are and defeats their intended purpose.

mikepmcs

oh here we go, how about the merging into one lane on a highway cause of construction and everyone goes on the one that is shut down to get right to the point where it merges and then just cuts in or makes the person in the still active lane give them the room, that's what causes the stop and go in that situation, hello people!!!
i just hang back about 100 feet from the car in front and cruise along and let whoever in cause it keeps traffic flowing.  It works mint and nooone has to slow down behind me.  I hate it for the truckers cause they have it real bad.  If I can keep the traffic flowing at a steady pace it's less gears that they have to shift and everyone mopes at about 15 mph til we get through the crap.
Ok talk about it amongst yourselves.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?