News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 balance

Started by 74340charger, August 01, 2006, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74340charger

do any of you have pics of harmonic balancers for 360's? I have a 360, but I cannot get it balenced. it is possible that it has a aftermarket crank, but how do I tell?  some people have said you can tell by the balencer, but I'm to new at this to tell the differance. It was balenced in a manuel trans, I pulled it and threw it in front of a 727. I have a stock 360 torque converter hooked to it, but a also had a 318 and '73 340 converters as well, but they didn't change anything, I still have the same vibration in it. 

Plumcrazy

I don't have any pictures so here's how I would describe the differences.
On a 273,318,340 balancer the front and rear surfaces of the balancers outer ring are smooth.
On a 360 balancer the front and rear surfaces of the outer ring have an indentation that goes about 40% of the way around the ring.

Just looking at a 360 balancer horizonally it would look like the one side is heavier than the other.

There should be a couple fairly large weights on your torque converter right next to each other.
A 360 will shake pretty good if you don't have the right parts bolted to it.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Beer

I am guessing maybe your Flexplate is the issue.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

74340charger

okay, we think that the harmonic balencer is not balenced. it has a groove that goes all the way around. So I'm going to give that a try tonight. the flexplate is a factory 11" one.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 74340charger on August 04, 2006, 01:42:10 PM
okay, we think that the harmonic balencer is not balenced. it has a groove that goes all the way around. So I'm going to give that a try tonight. the flexplate is a factory 11" one.

Look for the weights on the converter too.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Beer

Yep the convertor is what I ment  :icon_smile_dead:
Take a look at TCI Automotive under Dodge and read the notes about the balance on the various convertors.

http://www.tciauto.com/converters/converter_applications.htm

Scroll to the bottom.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

74340charger

it was the harmonic balancer. I don't know what went wrong, but the one I pulled off a junk one in the shop works, they look the same, but I'm done trying to figure out things. for now