News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEW 392 Hemi in 06 Charger Drift Car

Started by RT DAVE, July 27, 2006, 10:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

Check out page 34 of the Sept 06 Hot Rod.  It appears as though the new 392 hemis are actually being race tested.  Hot rod calls it a 6.1 hemi making 600 hp, but if you look at the valve cover it clearly says "392 hemi"  Maybe this badboy will actually show up in the Chally or the Viper after all.  hehehe.   

Here's a link where they refer to the engine as a crate engine.  Do you think this is just available to racers or do you think the general public will be able to order them?

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/24/dodge-s-drifting-charger-debuts/

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Lightning

the general public should be able to get them, since they're offering the 345(5.7) as well.   It's just cool that they're using it in a race car to test it like in the old days!
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

RT DAVE

I just dug out my July issue of Hot Rod and I see the 392 Crate hemi makes 508 TQ @5400rpm & 562 hp @6400 rpm.  The FI motor is priced @15,274 & carbuerated @13,850.   I feel like I'm talking to myself.  Does nobody care about this motor on this board?  I know the 6.1 will push that tubby SRT Charger to a high 12 second quarter, so this should be a killer motor...   

Lightning

it's not that, it's the car that it's being tested in......first ya say "drifting" on this board and everybody avoids it like the plague.....then it's in the not-a-charger and it's worse.

Ghoste

Well, you're right.  I know it's wrong and it's a stupid close-mindedness on my part, but as soon as I see "drifting", my rice detector starts ringing like mad.

Lightning

Quote from: Ghoste on July 31, 2006, 02:29:49 PM
Well, you're right.  I know it's wrong and it's a stupid close-mindedness on my part, but as soon as I see "drifting", my rice detector starts ringing like mad.

it's no biggie, it's kinda like that all over this board.  I've gotten used to it, the guys on Moparts are pretty much the same way.  That's why i disguise my engine questions as for use in a dirt-track car, since they both slide sideways...

Ghoste

Don't be afraid to try and educate me.  I may resist but I may learn something too.

Lightning

Suspension-wise, they're pretty much set up for road racing, just with a strong e-brake added in the mix.  Motor-wise (at least for the V8's) it's like a cross between drag racing and circle-track stuff.  Since I was/still am going after a stock car look-alike, I'm gonna set whatever I wind up with (if it's a B-body) a low deck stroker and a good set of torsion bars and leaf's in the back.  The idea's been done before, set-up wise. It's just that nobody (aside from Rhys Millen doing the stunt driving for the Dukes movie) has drifted a B-body on purpose before.

RT DAVE

Silly me, I thought the "New 392 Hemi" part would overcome the drift car part.   I guess we can let all those other guys complain about the 6.1 not being available and not let them know that a 6.4 is coming soon. 

Ghoste

The new generation Hemi just isn't catching on in the aftermarket that big yet.

Brock Samson

what are the prices on these new tech motors, i just got a new year one and the "old school" (sorry) 500 + HP HEMI is $20K!
last time i checked in 1998 they were 13K,..
20 K will get you an entire bitching automobile...  :yesnod:
Hard for the common shade tree mechanic to justify the scratch...don't ya' think?..

RT DAVE

The carb version of the 392 is about $13850 And the EFI about $15,274 according to HOT ROD July 06