News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WOOHOO I finally got one!

Started by lookin@my68, July 30, 2006, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lookin@my68

Well, after a lot of patience, research and saving I finally bought a 68! I bought it from a guy who lives about 20mins from my house in AUSTRALIA!

It was originally a California car, it apparently moved to Oregon then back to Califoria again. It was then sold  on E-bay early this year to the guy I bought it from ( he had it imported over here for his personal use and then he decided to sell.) Now it's mine!! :drive:

It's a PP1 383 4 BBl car, it has factory console and power steering, fender tag and 2 buildsheets. It has what looks to be mostly original paint and overall a good solid body, although it has had repairs to the dutch panel, and needs a patch to the lower rear passenger 1/4 due to rust. It has had a new vinyl top some time ago as well as a new interior. It runs really well!!

Thanks to all those who answered my questions, as it certainly helped me purchase this car!

Here are some pics!!

Danny

lookin@my68

more

lookin@my68

lookin@my68

rust in 1/4

lookin@my68

If anyone recognises the car I would love to here from you!!

Danny

PS I'll have to change my screen name now!! :icon_smile_cool:

RECHRGD

WOW! Great find!  What are the chances of finding a nice '68 in Austrailia, let alone, one so close to you?  Have fun.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

tan top

congratulations , good find ! nice looking charger,  :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rt green

nice car!! what a find for you.  let me ask you something that has been a debate in the shop for a long time. is it, or is it not illegal to drive a car in ausy with the steering wheel on the left side of the car????? this has been an unanswered question for some time now.  pleese let us know     love your new ride!
third string oil changer

Charger_Fan

Congrats, that's a great looking Charger! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

good for you, allways glad to see folks get their wish...  :icon_smile_approve:

THE COLONEL

Way to go!!!!  I'm sure being in Australia it was very hard to find one.  Congrats! :icon_smile_cool:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

Damned67

I think I've seen pics of that on MoparMarket? Either that, or there's another red n' black '68 floating around Oz (which is also quite likely).

Quote from: rt green on July 30, 2006, 11:51:08 AM
Is it, or is it not illegal to drive a car in ausy with the steering wheel on the left side of the car????? this has been an unanswered question for some time now.  pleese let us know     love your new ride!

Legal. It may vary from state to state, but I can register (tag) and drive mine daily ('67 Belvedere II) with no restrictions. Until recently, it would have had to have been on a restricted-use registration and have had a decal/sticker on the bumper warning other drivers that it was a left-hand drive vehicle. I should add that this only applies to cars over 30 years old. I think that the relaxation of the laws is what has lead to a large increase in the number of US cars being imported into Oz.

4cruzin

Thats a great looking car!!  Nice find!  Amazing that you found one so close to you!!  Sweet!   :icon_smile_big:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

lookin@my68

Thanks Everyone... :thumbs: Yeah it certainly is difficult to find one over here at all let alone one in fairly good condition like this one...

Damned67 - no, this is not the car that was on Moparmarket. It has never been advertised in OZ. I bought it through word of mouth...

Quote from: rt green on July 30, 2006, 11:51:08 AM
nice car!! what a find for you.  let me ask you something that has been a debate in the shop for a long time. is it, or is it not illegal to drive a car in ausy with the steering wheel on the left side of the car????? this has been an unanswered question for some time now.  pleese let us know     love your new ride!

RT Green, as Damned67 has allready said - no it is not illegal but it the vehicle does have to be more than 30 years old, and go over the pits for a roadworthy inspection before registration. In my state the car also has to be basically stock ( even down to the stock inlet and exhaust manifolds ). The high beam lights have to be changed to point to the left rather than the right, and I think the seat belts have to be changed too. My car has not yet been registered in Australia so I had to drive it home on a special permit. ( I took my 11 year old brother in-law for a cruise back home and my wife followed us home - he loved it ) I hope to get it roadworthy before Christmas but we'll see how we go...may be asking you guys a lot more questions now!!

Danny

Ghoste

Cool, that is a nice looking car.  The interior is really striking with that 68 tutone look from the pleats.  If the 1/4 panel rust you showed is the worst of the car, you've picked up a good one.
Enjoy!

ramit

It looks like you need to change your name to "found a 68."

Damned67

Hey Danny,
Sounds like you have to go through what I just went through getting the '67 legal. You're not in Qld, by any chance, are you?
I read the part about needing to be "stock", but I don't know how enforced that is as mine has the Edelbrock RPM intake and headers, which are obviously not stock. We won't even discuss the 505 that'll be going in at some time. Anyway, the engineer that had to sign off on the belts, wrote up the safety cert., and I was good to go.
Anyway, if you're in (south-east) Qld, and need to get it registered, I can give you the name and numbers of a good belt guy and engineer.
Cheers,
Jason

Pistolpete

congrats man, looks awesome! I wish you all the best - have fun!!!
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

Danny Gutierrez

Great looking car.  I really like that interior color combo.  The quarters can be fixed fairly easily.  Hows the undercarriage look?
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

lookin@my68

Quote from: Damned67 on July 31, 2006, 07:23:49 PM
Hey Danny,
Sounds like you have to go through what I just went through getting the '67 legal. You're not in Qld, by any chance, are you?
I read the part about needing to be "stock", but I don't know how enforced that is as mine has the Edelbrock RPM intake and headers, which are obviously not stock. We won't even discuss the 505 that'll be going in at some time. Anyway, the engineer that had to sign off on the belts, wrote up the safety cert., and I was good to go.
Anyway, if you're in (south-east) Qld, and need to get it registered, I can give you the name and numbers of a good belt guy and engineer.
Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason, no I'm not in QLD, but thanks for the offer anyway... I think it all depends on who you get on the day...if they know what they're looking at they may ping you but most don't - especially if aftermarket manifolds are painted engine colour etc...ha ha!! Good luck with the 505!
Danny

lookin@my68

Quote from: Danny Gutierrez on August 01, 2006, 03:43:00 AM
Great looking car.  I really like that interior color combo.  The quarters can be fixed fairly easily.  Hows the undercarriage look?

Thanks Danny, the undercarriage is great too - it is a factory undercoat car...where is the best place to get a quarter patch panel for it?? How much should I expect to pay?? Anyone else know??

PocketThunder

Damn dude nice Red 68! :yesnod: :yesnod:    i'm not biased by any means.. :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."