News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar steel shim head gaskets on unmilled heads

Started by greenpigs, September 05, 2006, 02:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

I have a set of 906 heads I got recently from a member here and was told the are off(warped) .006 and would be okay to use as is. My block was not decked and .006 isn't much so could I use the Mopar Performance steel shim gaskets on this? I don't want the heads milled, getting the motor back and running is more important than picking up a little cr and then I don't have to worry about misalignment of the heads and intake. If you can't tell I am cheap and to tight to have the heads cc'd but there is allot of non cleanup around the cc chamber so I doubt they have ever been milled.
  My main concern is if the steel gaskets will provide a good seal in my situation plus I have a set allready. If I should have the heads milled I guess I could and only have .020 taken off just to be sure but I would like to avoid that.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

I would have the head milled enough to true them up. If they only need .006 to straighten out then there won't be any issues with intake manifold alignment, pushrod length etc...

The steel shim's aren't as forgiving as the felpro composites so the straighter everything is, the better.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greenpigs

So if I run a set of the composite gaskets I could skip the milling?

I had some issues with the local Mopar "God" machine shop and if the felpro composite would work I'll just use them. If they are okay should I get the ones with the wire reinforcement or would a set of standard gaskets work? I have about 8.5 cr and it isn't much more than a regular rebuild.

Thanks for the speedy reply!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Green P :

Sure, the composite felpro's will work fine. Use the felpro  #1009 headgasket on your 440. If milling isn't an option, this is the safest solution, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rt green

you should square them up, and then get a thicker head gasket
third string oil changer

Chryco Psycho

I would get the heads milled at least
do you know where the compression is now ? the thin gasket could help or hurt

greenpigs

It is a stock and standard bore 1972 440. I have not checked the cc of the heads or the deck height. I am going with it is low cr and the gaskets Ron recommended should suffice. If it was a high performance build I would deck the block and mill the heads to get all the seal I could, but for this 440 and this time around not perfect but useable parts will do.

Thanks again guys!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free