News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

greedy 440

Started by Animal, August 30, 2006, 07:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animal

Engine seems to use a tad to much oil,newly built 440.It uses about a pint since it has only covered 1000 miles.Its been said that the PCV should be relocated to the drivers side,as theres less oil on that side.Is this correct.Many thanks Adam.

firefighter3931

Adam, i wouldn't consider that excessive on a fresh engine that is still breaking in. Is there a baffle underneath the pcv valve ? It shouldn't make a difference which side the pcv valve is on as long as the breather is on the opposite valve cover.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Animal

Thanks Ron,problem is,I have changed oil & filter four times so far,due to it getting a bit black whilst bedding in.I've been told not to use kendalls 10/40 as its no good for it & I should use a cheap oil to" rough the bores".also not to change the oil so often either.Just thought I'd run that by you & no there isn't a baffle as far as I know. Thanks Ron.Adam.

firefighter3931

Hi Adam, you need to have a baffle underneath the pcv valve or oil will be drawn from the engine and sent into the combustion chamber where it is burnt with the air and fuel. If you have an aftermarket valvecover, make sure to install the baffle. I like Shell Rotella 15/40 diesel oil in our Mopar engines. Lots of nice anti scuff additives that keep things happy inside the engine. With 1000 miles on the clock it's time to start hammering the throttle and break her in.  :yesnod: The rings might not be completely seated depending on how you've been driving it. ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I don't mean to hijack but what is a good milage to hammer down and row the gear box? Mine had around 1500-2000 miles on it and it had maybe 38 runs at the track. Was that too early?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

is Kendall synthetic ???
you want to use crude based oils for a while while it breaks in
I try to be gentle with a new engine floored but only to 4000 or so for the first 500 miles after that she gets all she has to offer

Animal

Hi chryco,no kendalls isn't synthetic.Thanks a lot guys,great help.Adam.

cuda66273

"Use Cheap Oil"

Who told you that?  You need to find another consultant.

If your oil is turning black then your oil is "Ashing" meaning it or something in the crankcase is actually burning, not as in flames but it's reaching a temp that's turning it back to carbon or ash.

Low end motor oils have a low "Ash Temp" around 340-370*, good oils won't ash until 380-420*.

You may also not be burning all the fuel throughout the operating range, allowing fuel to get into the oil, fuel has a very low ash temp and acts as a catalyst for the oil to carbonize, this can be caused by incorrect timing, weak ignition spark or a poor carb.

Are you trying to use the infamous orange box or an Eddy carb?

TylerCharger69

I don't know what scholar who told you to use "cheap oil"  but   don't do it.   ESPECIALLY during break-in.  And...most people know this already...but stay away from Pennzoil....period.   I, myself  used Castrol GTX 20-50 during break-in, and now I use Castrol GTX 10-40 for normal use.  I change about every 1500 to 2000 miles.  I don't see anything wrong with changing your oil "too often"  It's a lot better than "not often enough"   I don't even use the cheap stuff during assembly!!   A clean engine is a happy engine!!

myk

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 31, 2006, 09:23:59 PM
Hi Adam, you need to have a baffle underneath the pcv valve or oil will be drawn from the engine and sent into the combustion chamber where it is burnt with the air and fuel.
Ron

:o

Oh man, I've been running without a baffle since I've owned the car.  Until I can replace the valve covers with baffled ones, can I just disconnect the PCV system or put in breathers?  Have I been damaging this poor car? 

:icon_smile_angry:   F**K!

dodge freak

You may have been sucking  oil in to the cylinders and fouling the plugs out, if you been changing the oil often it should be ok. Yes you can plug the pcv valve off and just run beathers. The was a thread all about that a few months ago- I believe Firefighter claims its the only way to go. I decided to plug mine afterwards.

myk

Oddly enough, pulling my plugs revealed that they were whiter than my last date-I've been running ultra-lean, apparently.  I found the thread for the PCV arguments and I see that it really depends on personal preference...

deputycrawford

My 69 with a 383 was smoking pretty good, throught the trap,s on the track. It had only about 1000 miles or so on it, but I figured it was too much. I put my PVC back on the valve cover and the smoke was noticably less on the track. almost gone completely. I run my PVC now to keep negative crank case pressure as much as I can. My  :Twocents:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.