News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pictures Here She is...I'm going to need a lot of help.

Started by xsuperjoex, July 25, 2006, 08:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73 Charger 440

The body is definetly saveable, unless the frame rails are totally gone. Just replace the floor and trunk pans. Engine Im not sure about, if you want to keep it maybe rebuild it, if not Id do a swap.

Another Palm Beacher here... Lived there for the past 13 years and just moved to Finland 8 months ago... Lived all over the place but mostly Lake Worth, Lantana, WPB and Loxahatchee.

73chgrSE

If you decide against restoring it, I would be interested in some parts from her.

Brock Samson

not a bad start for a third gen if ya' wanna make it your own.
but not what I'd choose for thet level of work required to bring it up to snuff...   :Twocents:
simply put it's too pedestrian for my taste.

unless i were gonna build a King Richard or similar clone...

I'd look for a better example to lavish such attention on...
nice price on a decent charger though...

Orange_Crush

Hey xsuper.

You gonna be around this weekend?

I can head up to your place and take a good look under the car.

lemme know
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

xsuperjoex

Orange,

That would be great man!!!...This board is awesome!!!  Thanks everyone!  Yeah I think Saturday would be perfect!  PM me your cell.
The X...

doctorpimp

Quote from: 73chgrSE on July 26, 2006, 11:34:37 AM
Save the body and build up a 440 block for it. It can be saved.
I agree...
As for the "plain old 3rd gen" comment, yeah we all know that 73-74 Chargers will (probably) never get the kind of money that 2nd gens will get blah-blah-blah We all thought that 10 years ago.  I drove a nice rust-free 4 door Dart through College in the salt and snow of Canada, just because it was "only a 4 door slant Dart" now the same cars are getting $$ (well not Hemi $$ ;)  ) on eBay...
If it is the car that you really want, then 3rd gens can be made into really nice custom Muscle. You can do what ever you want to them and not worry about "correctness".
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

resq302

To be honest, I have not seen that many chargers with that side stripe like that.  I did see one like that out at Carlisle this year and it had a silver paint and the stripe looked awesome on it. 

Heck, I would say save it and restore it.  Chances are from what I have seen on the pics, if you like the car, it can be saved.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TruckDriver

Quote from: 73chgrSE on July 26, 2006, 11:34:37 AM
Save the body and build up a 440 block for it. It can be saved.
:iagree: I would redo it. Because if it was a 68-70 Charger, these guys would be all over you to redo it.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

dodgecharger-fan

I vote for checking the frame rails and if they're good, you've got yourself a good solid start on your project.

Get the body done. The trunk is the only spot that we know is truly rotted through. The floors may be okay without having to put new pans in - you won't know for sure until you clean them up.
Once you get that far, you've got all kinds of choices.

Check out the engine. See what can be saved and what needs to be replaced.
If a lot, it probably makes sense to look for a replacement mill. Another opportunity to make a choice and make the car your own.

Do the rest of the mechanicals - which you'd likely want to do anyway.

Now you've got something to drive. Then take it where you want to in terms of cosmetics. Paint if you didn't do that in the step above; interior if it needs work; details to get to the look that you want; etc. etc. etc.

If the frame rails are bad, You might just have enough parts to get your money out of it.
OR
frame rails can be had at okay prices - it's the labour that'll kill ya.
then there's always Autorust Technicians patch parts that'll get your frame safe and solid (but ugly) if you can weld them in yourself or get a friend to do it for beer. (after the welding's done. :) )

There's lots of ways to get you to a good solid driver. A lot depends on what you can do yourself or what it'll cost to have it done.

On a 3rd gen (no offense guys, I had a 73 and loved it), it's a very fine line between fixing and parting. That's really the market talking, though. Unfortunately..

Here's hoping those frame rails are in good shape.

xsuperjoex

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 27, 2006, 08:41:25 AM
I vote for checking the frame rails and if they're good, you've got yourself a good solid start on your project.

Get the body done. The trunk is the only spot that we know is truly rotted through. The floors may be okay without having to put new pans in - you won't know for sure until you clean them up.
Once you get that far, you've got all kinds of choices.

Check out the engine. See what can be saved and what needs to be replaced.
If a lot, it probably makes sense to look for a replacement mill. Another opportunity to make a choice and make the car your own.

Do the rest of the mechanicals - which you'd likely want to do anyway.

Now you've got something to drive. Then take it where you want to in terms of cosmetics. Paint if you didn't do that in the step above; interior if it needs work; details to get to the look that you want; etc. etc. etc.

If the frame rails are bad, You might just have enough parts to get your money out of it.
OR
frame rails can be had at okay prices - it's the labour that'll kill ya.
then there's always Autorust Technicians patch parts that'll get your frame safe and solid (but ugly) if you can weld them in yourself or get a friend to do it for beer. (after the welding's done. :) )

There's lots of ways to get you to a good solid driver. A lot depends on what you can do yourself or what it'll cost to have it done.

On a 3rd gen (no offense guys, I had a 73 and loved it), it's a very fine line between fixing and parting. That's really the market talking, though. Unfortunately..

Here's hoping those frame rails are in good shape.

Thanks for the reply

We'll find out this Saturday and let you guys know.  Thanks!!!
The X...

71ChargerRT

Looks good to me, but then check out mine...my family thinks I need to be commited...
Work in progress...

chrisII

Quote from: 71ChargerRT on July 27, 2006, 02:59:42 PM
Looks good to me, but then check out mine...my family thinks I need to be commited...

yes but a 71 is the koolest charger ever buildt so its worth doing if you have the money ,time , and place to work on it. its a shame that most here still havn't realised that mopar did get the charger right on the 3rd try..after 71 however they did slide down hill IMO

NHCharger

My opinion might be slightly biased since I consider 3rd Gen Charger's the best looking cars ever made.
If the frame rails are good it's definitely worth saving.
If this is your first Mopar restoration you are about to learn the joy of hunting for non-existing new parts and trying to buy used parts that the owner thinks is worth it's weight in gold.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

xsuperjoex

Quote from: 71ChargerRT on July 27, 2006, 02:59:42 PM

Is your car running?
The X...

mikepmcs

find a running engine and tranny, stuff it in there, fix the pans and the trunk, do a little brake and exhaust work, and drive the heck out of it while you work on it.
boom!... done!..., on the road for about another $1200. that's assuming, of course, the underside is solid.  I wouldn't be so quick to scrap that car considering what you paid for it. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Goldfinger71

To me $1200.00 was a good price especially with the console/bucket seats and the "laser stripe" which you don't see that often as the one's that are usually seen are the solid black ones.......... :yesnod:
Now,it's all up to you.....
GOOD LUCK! :icon_smile_cool:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

xsuperjoex

As soon as Orange-Crush comes over on Saturday I will update you with his finds on the frame rails.   I really hope it's solid and I'll make sure to keep everyone updated with the buildup if I do it.

Thanks everybody!  I can't wait for tomorrow.
The X...

MassCharger73

1973 Charger

71ChargerRT

No, not running, no interior to speak of, but solid frame rails, all the glass except the windshield is in good shape, most of the exterior trim is intact, and the grilles are in great shape as are the tail lights. What it does need are all floor pans, hood, deck lid, lower quarters, "dog leg" part of front fenders. I got it for scrap value (about $200) when I bought my '73 Challenger, also rough.   :rotz:   Like I said my family thinks I should be commited...  Check them out @ http://www.cardomain.com/id/71ChargerRT  let me know what you think...
Work in progress...

MassCharger73

Quote from: 71ChargerRT on July 28, 2006, 08:53:56 PM
No, not running, no interior to speak of, but solid frame rails, all the glass except the windshield is in good shape, most of the exterior trim is intact, and the grilles are in great shape as are the tail lights. What it does need are all floor pans, hood, deck lid, lower quarters, "dog leg" part of front fenders. I got it for scrap value (about $200) when I bought my '73 Challenger, also rough.   :rotz:   Like I said my family thinks I should be commited...  Check them out @ http://www.cardomain.com/id/71ChargerRT  let me know what you think...

Those aren't the most flattering pictures. Hopefully it's better than it looks. On the bright side, that looks like a killer spot for a picnic table. :devil:
1973 Charger

CFMopar

I've seen alot worse projects.. The floors dont look to bad. Id bet once you clean them up they will be fine. The trunk your going ot need to cut it out and weld ne pannels in not to bad overall....

If the rails are good and your interested in that year then go with it.

I own a 71 Se and i think it was the best year charger every. I love the body lines on 3rd gens more sporty in my opinion...
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

xsuperjoex

The frame rails are rotted. Passenger side was worse than the drivers side.
The X...