News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pictures Here She is...I'm going to need a lot of help.

Started by xsuperjoex, July 25, 2006, 08:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsuperjoex

Should I even bother?
The X...

xsuperjoex

Interior Floor Pans
The X...

xsuperjoex

Trunk and Motor...is that rust fixable???
The X...

Telvis

xsuperjoex

I haven't been able to get a good look underneath.  But they look pretty good from the angle I saw them.
The X...

RT DAVE

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

azraelck

I'd tear that motor open and take a look. That much rust in the heads make me leery, I'd probably junk at least the heads, if not the entire engine. But without opening it up, I would not make a judgement just yet. Once you see the crank, rods, pistons, ect... will you know whether it's worth it or not... and the block may be salvageable even if the rest is not. Good for a high HP stroker, with no stock internals... ;)

The car itself looks in pretty decent shape, but I'd check the frame first. Much of the damage shown isn't so bad IMO, I've seen far worse that was fixed. Heck, there's a '73 near me that body and interior wise is in worse shape than that car... though the 318 is in better shape obviously, it's moved 20 miles to a different town when it didn't sell in the first one. They want $4k for it though.

For every good man that is born, another good man must die.  Yet somehow the
factory keeps pumping out losers and we have no idea how to get rid of them.
--Kersus

hemi68charger

Quote from: xsuperjoex on July 25, 2006, 08:09:37 PM
Should I even bother?

Ahhhhhhh, Palm Beach County...... My ole' stomping grounds,,,,,,, Shot, that's worth saving.................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blakcharger440

nitrometal

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 25, 2006, 10:34:41 PM
Should I even bother?

Ahhhhhhh, Palm Beach County...... My ole' stomping grounds,,,,,,, Shot, that's worth saving.................

I was born & raised in Palm Beach also.  I've been back recently and can't say that I miss it very much now.

xsuperjoex that car looks very "do-able" to me.  Go for it!!!
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

bull

I've seen worse. I don't know about the engine though. Might be time for a transplant.

moparguy01

If you think thats bad you dont want to see half the stuff I've done at work.......

Wakko

Hey, I live in Palm Beach County right now!   Delray Beach to be exact.  Where is the Charger located?   It's the ultra rare '70's Mopar Green...I'd fix it. 

Seriously, there ain't alot of old Mopars down here for much of a deal.  If that's your car already and you don't mind going a little but of metal work, and the frame rails are solid, I'd do it to it.  If the motors a numbers motor, see if you can sleeve the cylinders that are bad and keep it, or at least keep it in the garage in case you sell it. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Shakey

Should I even bother?

That completely depends on you!

If this is the car of your dreams (year, make, model with options you prefer) then yes, by all means spend the time and money and go for it.  Keep in mind, it will take a lot of time and money and only you can decide if it will be worth it in the end.

For me, a '69 R/T was what I was looking for.  I almost settled for a '68 or a '70 but realized that if I was going to be pouring in countless hours of work and piles of hard earned money, I'd better be left with something I truly wanted when I was finished.  I was patient and ended up with what I wanted and am really enjoying the restoration project because in the end, I will have the car of my dreams built to my standards.  There are no regrets.

As far as the condition of the car - as mentioned, I've seen worse also.  Almost anything can be saved.  It just depends on how much you're willing to spend and whether or not you want to do the job properly.

tan top

does not look that bad from the pitcures,  if it is what you really want - year / color options / engine  etc , go to it , same as what (Shakey) says if it is the car of you dreams go for it .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

AKcharger

I'd pass, no offense but it's just a plain old 3rd Gen. Take it from me you had better LOVE AND ADORE the car you plan to restore because the money and the work you'll have to sink into it (or any project) will be ENORMOUS. If you are just so  so about it I will Guarantee you will not finish it.

I say this from personal experience restoring two cars. I wanted to trash both of them at various points! FYI, I put over $16K in the '70 and about $10K in the '72...and that's with ME doing all the work, do not underestimate how much you'll have to sink into that thing! I do like them though and after it's over..it's a ball! ;D

Good luck

xsuperjoex

Hey guys thanks for the comments...it's definetly a mixed review...

First let me say that I own this car I bought it for $1200. The reason why I liked it was because it was complete (missing: shift knob, passenger mirror and trunk jack).

Second I used to live in Boynton Beach FL....that's my old plate I had to put something on it for AAA to tow it.  I live in Charlotte NC now.

To the car I really don't care about restoring it to stock.  I wanted something to have fun with something I could turn into a muscle car...I hate that color green, I'm probably going to repaint it black with black interior.

I love Dodge Chargers of this era it's definetly one of my dream cars.

If you guys think I should get rid of it...how much should I sell it, the same $1200 price tag that I paid for it?

This is my first Car Restoration, I've restored 2 motorcycles that are awesome.  I just don't want to get in over my head....now when I say that I don't mean money I mean I don't want a car that is going to be more work than I can handle.

So....now what do you guys think.  I really appreciate everyones feedback and comments even if it's negative....

Thank you...
The X...

blackcharger

the body looks pretty solid, check out the fram rails. I'd pull both valve covers off and get a better look, and the intake as well. I wouldn't be so quick to junk the engine one what may be one area of rust. Especially if it is the origina. Looks like a great project.

73chgrSE

xsuperjoex

Quote from: 73chgrSE on July 26, 2006, 09:08:28 AM
Should I even bother?

Holy crap dude!!! I'm calling Chip Foose right now. :o

HAHAHA LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big: That's a riot!!!!
The X...

hemi68charger

Quote from: nitrometal on July 25, 2006, 10:46:25 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on July 25, 2006, 10:34:41 PM
Should I even bother?

I was born & raised in Palm Beach also.  I've been back recently and can't say that I miss it very much now.

xsuperjoex that car looks very "do-able" to me.  Go for it!!!

Nitro,,, when did you live there? I was born in Miami in '64 and moved to West Palm Beach when I was in the 4th grade......... Stayed in West Palm / Royal Palm Beach area till I was 23 when I joined the Air Force active duty..........   Ever hear of the South Florida Mopar Club / Florida Mopar Connection (Dade/Broward)?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

MassCharger73

Looks pretty solid to me except in the trunk. Definately inspect the under carriage before making your decision. I'd expect to spend a lot of extra money on the motor. As far as it being a plain third gen, I've seen more than a few images cross my screen of first and second gen cars I wouldn't spend my money on. It all depends on what you like. If you want to do a 100 point resto on a car and have it worth a fortune maybe you should look for a R/T. If you are going to modify and personalize a car, a plain car is probably the way to go. The opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of the management or it's employees. ;D
1973 Charger

73chgrSE

Save the body and build up a 440 block for it. It can be saved.