News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Media blasting

Started by MedPhys, July 24, 2006, 09:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MedPhys

There is a guy in High Point, NC that says he charges $500 to media blast the outside of the car.  This seems very cheap.  Would this be a good deal for just the outside?  I do have a lot of paint on my car and $500 seems like it would be well worth it to not have to mess with it myself.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: MedPhys on July 24, 2006, 09:00:17 AM
There is a guy in High Point, NC that says he charges $500 to media blast the outside of the car.  This seems very cheap.  Would this be a good deal for just the outside?  I do have a lot of paint on my car and $500 seems like it would be well worth it to not have to mess with it myself.

Be careful, a lot of these guys aren't too careful and a bad media blast can wreak havoc on your sheet metal.

If you're looking around the High Point area, there is a place that my friend Mike at GEM restorations uses that is very good.  I can't remember his name, but if you go to Moparts and contact Member "416wedge" (Tom), he can tell you.  Mike did his Duster.

You can also contact jlcollector on Moparts, he's a media blaster in spartanburg and he does EXCELLENT work.  He finishes up the car with a soda blast and the car looks awesome.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

bull

As OC said, the price might be right but quality work is paramount with this type of job. Do your homework on the guy, find out if he knows what he's doing. I'd much rather pay $1000 if it's done right and the prices I've seen typically range from $600-$1000. My body guy did a combination of media blast and chemical strip. Chemical strip was used on the more sensitive areas (big panels).

4402tuff4u

I had my 68 media (plastic) blasted here in LI, NY for $ 800. It included the whole exterior, underside of trunk lid, engine compartment and under the hood. So, in NY prices, he's in the ball park. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

MedPhys

What should I be looking for, and what damage does media blastind do?  Up until this point I thought it was perfectly safe for the metal.

Rack

Quote from: MedPhys on July 25, 2006, 07:45:49 PM
What should I be looking for, and what damage does media blastind do?  Up until this point I thought it was perfectly safe for the metal.

It depends on what media they use. Walnut, plastic, and soda are safe for sheet metal. The more abrasive stuff will get too hot and warp the metal. Soda and Walnut don't work through "Heat" or by their texture actually doing the work, they remove paint by "Exploding" on impact (enough impact to explode the media, but not damage the sheet metal).

Soda is what they used to blast the statue of liberty a few years ago. It's safe for the metal and the environment. I'm gonna blast my car myself using soda. No one locally does blasting so I don't have a choice. But $800 seems kind of high too. You can get a blaster (not a great one) for about $100 and the media (enough to do a car) for about... $150? Not sure how much media is required, I guess it also depends on what media you use.

TylerCharger69

Rack......noticed the icon to the left.....Yep I'm ready...I have two words for ya!!!!!      lol....j/k

sharpspike