News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fixing chrome trim around gauges. PICS

Started by 69chargerfanatic, July 24, 2006, 07:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerfanatic

My dash is the one without any chrome around the gauges. Are there chrome trim rings that are missing or is the plastic painted chrome? How would I go about fixing this? I found on ebay the entire gauge panel for $400 or so but I don't want to spend that right now. Thanks in advance.

Wakko

The entire part is vacuum plated chrome and the center textured part is then painted black.  No trim rings.  You could use a paint pen to glide over the raised lip for now or use paint thinner to remove the black paint over the original chrome. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

19Charger68

It was probably painted black because the crome plastic was worn off.  You can have the entire plate recromed and then obtain a stencil to paint the appropriate parts black.
Bruce

Just 6T9 CHGR

"back in the day" I used a silver model paint pen with good results.....like others stated they should be chrome plated.
I had mine restored by www.performancecargraphics.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

If you check through an issue of Mopar Collectors Guide (and probably any of the Mopar mags), you'll find ads for places that replate your plastic.

bull

www.cvvacuumplaters.com does restorations and explains the process. There are other places that do it too.

JimShine

Another item I may try that I think would make a nice temporary fix is this stuff called 'Bare Metal Foil". Model makers use it to replicate the shiny chrome and stainless trim on model cars. The stuff comes in a various chromes and other metals. It is an actual metal foil that is super thin with adhesive on the back about the size of half of a sheet of paper. You cut out an approximate size piece, peel the backing, rub it on the surface you want covered then trim off the excess with an x=acto (hobby) knife. I have used it on dozens of models. I think I will try it on my bezel.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal/bare-metal_foil.html

bill440rt

Yup!!! Bare Metal works great for those that are on a budget. I did my dash in my '68 with the stuff back in the late '80's, almost TWENTY years ago! The dash STILL looks great after all these years, & hasn't peeled at all. There maybe is now a very slight yellowing, but a little dab with a Q-tip might do the trick. But after 20 years, I'm still very happy with it. See pic.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

On my dash for my '69 project, I simply used Plasti-kote's semi-flat black, & Dupli-color's Chrome paint for the bezels. Very convincing, looks more like polished aluminum.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JimShine

69chargerfanatic

Yea I saw those! That is a good price because no core is needed. http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/Mopar%2016-18.pdf  is a little cheaper and you can do certain parts 1 at a time.

bill440rt

I saw them in person at Carlisle, along with the new repro woodgrain trim as well. Both sets are absolutely perfect. Beautiful reproductions.  :2thumbs:

RDR-838

Those do look great. But I'm unclear as to what a "back" or "backing plate" is for the bezel. Can someone explain this. Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm just getting back into Mopars.
Thanks.

JimShine

The back is the standard plastic bezel. The wood grain SE styles are a metal veneer applied over the standard plastic bezel.

Wakko

How hard would it be to trim the bare metal to the circles on the dash accurately?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Wow.  Great info about the bare-metal stuff.  Never even knew this stuff existed.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

You gotta build more plastic model car kits.  ;)

dkn1997

Quote from: bill440rt on July 26, 2006, 09:29:35 PM
Yup!!! Bare Metal works great for those that are on a budget. I did my dash in my '68 with the stuff back in the late '80's, almost TWENTY years ago! The dash STILL looks great after all these years, & hasn't peeled at all. There maybe is now a very slight yellowing, but a little dab with a Q-tip might do the trick. But after 20 years, I'm still very happy with it. See pic.

how hard was that?  how did it conform to the round bezels around the gauges?  do you have any more pics?
RECHRGED

JimShine

The stuff pics up the smallest details and will be as crisp as your heand can trim it.It is foil, so it will conform around even complex curves. If by chance you get a crease, usuall you can smooth it to the point it is undectable unless you get really close (like a few inches away).

Recharger

So, Bill, how does that stuff hold up to cleaning?  I had thought about using it a few months back, but I was worried it would peel off after a few cleanings.  I guess after 20 years, I can assume it holds up ok?  I think I'll give it a shot after all....  Thanks for the info!