News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

transmission and drive shaft

Started by proud_owner68, July 24, 2006, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proud_owner68

The '77 440 came with a truck transmission I thought I could use in my 69 charger. But somebody told me I cant now because it isnt a slide yoke attachment. Instead its bolted right on there so it meant the driveshaft must have been one with a slide in the middle or something..   Anyway, Im not sure if its still possible to use this transmission.  I would like to hear any ideas or ways to make it work if possible.

73 Charger 440

I dont know why you couldnt use it... I just remember some guys switching to the long tail-shaft on them.

Chryco Psycho

if it has the bolt on flange you would need ot have a special driveshaft made to use it or have the mainshaft & tailhousing replaced in the trans

Ghoste

And in the long run, it might be a better idea to swap out the shaft and housing and utilize a more common style driveshaft and u-joint arrangement.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Ghoste on July 25, 2006, 04:25:20 AM
And in the long run, it might be a better idea to swap out the shaft and housing and utilize a more common style driveshaft and u-joint arrangement.

I was told the heavy duty U-joint was a plus... Anything against it? Just curious

Ghoste

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  If it's a heavy duty u-joint, then yes, it's a plus.  I was under the impression you were referring to one of those old bolt on flanged "pot" joints.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Ghoste on July 25, 2006, 07:30:24 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  If it's a heavy duty u-joint, then yes, it's a plus.  I was under the impression you were referring to one of those old bolt on flanged "pot" joints.

I dont know about that, but for example the 440 I have has a "heavy duty hemi" 727 with a short shaft, it has a heavy duty u-joint but the shaft is bolted to the tranny.

Ghoste

Yeah, I think we're talking about two different things.