News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 Bengal Charger????

Started by 72Rallye440, July 18, 2006, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

looks original ,  intresting :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ChargerHound69

It does look original.  Is there anything on the dash or inside on the door panels?

72Rallye440

I looked inside the doors and tried to check the fender tag but it looks to be rusted but not 100% sure. The car is all original so I'm hoping to find a build sheet IF I get to buy it, please keep your fingers crossed!! I did not see any additional markings on the car that was odd other that the 2 emblems.

ChargerHound69

I hope you get that car, I hope you get that car, I hope( you get the idea)!

I hope you do. :yesnod:

Chris G.

Cool car man. Anything is possible with these cars at the dealer. My Hang Tizz-Tastic had beach sand in it when I bought it, and I'm almost 100% positive it didn't come from the original owner who was in his 60's. They probably had some wacky display at the dealer with sand and beach balls or something. Maybe the same type of thing happened with that '72 Charger? Unfortunately, it will be hard to track down any original paperwork on how the badges got there.

Hope you get the car.  :thumbs:  Those badges look like they have been there from the start.

ds440

Good luck, Dewey ;)

That really does look original.  At the very least, it doesn't look like those were recently added.  It's a long shot, but I wonder if the Cincinnati Bengals PR department would know anything about it? ???  Just a (desperate) thought.
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

twilt

Quote from: 72Rallye440 on July 19, 2006, 05:03:32 PM
I looked inside the doors and tried to check the fender tag but it looks to be rusted but not 100% sure. The car is all original so I'm hoping to find a build sheet IF I get to buy it, please keep your fingers crossed!! I did not see any additional markings on the car that was odd other that the 2 emblems.

Good luck Dewey.  would it be logical to think that there probably  would not be anything special on the fender tag or build sheet, that the dealer probably just ordered orange cars and added the emblems themselves?

Now, I`d be excited if it was a Steeler Charger painted black and gold!

Given that its a very basic 318 car with lots of rust, would i be correct to guess that you are just going to use it as a parts car?

bull

Quote from: twilt on July 19, 2006, 05:50:31 PM
:puke:

twilt

:haha: :haha:  still haven`t gotten over the Super Bowl, have you?

ChargerHound69

72Rallye440

Thanks for all the responses from everyone. I got a call from the owner about an hour ago. He said he's given the guy that put a deposit on it 2 days to call him back and he didn't. So he said I could have the car for the set price that I offered him. It was a little more than what I wanted to pay but I really want the car.

Given that this is the original owners son, I'm hoping he can give me a little info on the car. I really don't want to press the issue with him about the Bengal Charger emblems until we transfer the title. Not trying to be dishonest with him but if I start discussing it with him now it may make him start to wonder about the cars value.

Twilt, will I just part it out? Absolutely not until I do research on the car. Those emblems had to be made by someone somewhere. The car may not be worth the money I'm paying for it but its worth investigating (to me anyway).

Dewey

ChargerHound69

Excellent news.  I think it is worth it.   

I agree not to talk to him about anything except if he has any original documents.

When are you going to pick it up?

twilt

That is Great News. :2thumbs:   I`ve read about the 68 Bengal Chargers before. Are they considered to be more desirable or any more valuable just because they are Bengal Chargers?

If this car turns out to be a legit similiar promotion, would this car be considered more desirable/valuable and a candidate for restoration  or is it "what it is" based on its drivetrain and options?   

Regardless, for $500 you cant go wrong.   BTW, i think the previously mentioned idea of contacting the Bengals PR dept is a good idea.

ChargerHound69

I think that would be a good idea also.  It could not hurt.

Does anyone have any promotional material dated for these cars.

tan top

thats  good news you was able to buy it   :thumbs:

Quote from: twilt on July 19, 2006, 09:26:00 PM
That is Great News. :2thumbs:   I`ve read about the 68 Bengal Chargers before. Are they considered to be more desirable or any more valuable just because they are Bengal Chargers?

If this car turns out to be a legit similiar promotion, would this car be considered more desirable/valuable and a candidate for restoration  or is it "what it is" based on its drivetrain and options?   

Regardless, for $500 you cant go wrong.   BTW, i think the previously mentioned idea of contacting the Bengals PR dept is a good idea.

:iagree:     

like i said before intresting charger , would appreciate keeping  us updated with any new info & pictures . :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ds440

Congratulations, Dewey!  Man where do you find all these rare cars!  ;D

I'd ask the guy if he remembered what dealership his father bought the car from and start from there.  If it wasn't Kneer, then it might be a copycat promotion from another dealership - which opens up a whole new bag of worms.  He might not know/remember, but it could be a starting point.

I was thinking the same thing. ;D  But I have to be careful....I'm a Steeler in Bengal country.

66ragtop

I was thinking the same thing. ;D  But I have to be careful....I'm a Steeler in Bengal country.

Now that could be dangerous....remember to wear your helmet!

That is the same badging on the Bengal Charger owned by my teacher.  Cool find!!
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

ds440

66ragtop,
  Could this be your teacher's car? :o

Brock Samson

interesting for sure but don't ya' think San Diego would have the promotion?.. ya' Know "CHARGER"...  :shruggy:
are you gonna put it back to stock?..

72Rallye440

I'm going to get the car on Monday (hopefully). If anyone has any info on a 72 Bengal Charger PLEASE let me know. I'm not sure what I plan to do with the car but it may end up being a restoration project. I don't know if I see myself having it restored but I guess we will see. If I can't find any supporting documentation its nothing more than a basic orange 72 with really cool emblems!

Unfortunately I had to pay a more than $500 for it but that was the only way I could talk the guy into letting me have it. I'm hoping the car looks better on the bottom than it does the top. All I know is I could see the ground from the drivers side seat. I hate to see a car rust like this one has. Irontically enough, he told me it comes with a brand new car cover still in the box! :rotz: :rotz:

66ragtop

Quote from: ds440 on July 20, 2006, 05:27:21 PM
66ragtop,
  Could this be your teacher's car? :o
I don't think so, his had a black tail stripe on it also. :yesnod:
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

72Rallye440

Brock Samson,
I dont know, its an odd car. I though I've seen every possible 71-74 Dodge Charger over the years but I guess not! If I keep it, I think back to stock would be the way to go.

If the car is 34 years old and the guy I'm buying it from is the son of the original owner, he should remember where his dad bought it. Keep in mind this gentleman is at least 55-60 years old so he wasn't to young when it was bought (in theory anyway)! :icon_smile_big:

Thanks,
       Dewey

Bones68charger

What do the fender tags on the 68 Bengal Charger look like?

ds440

I 'think' this is the emblem off of '68.  It's the only one I could find.

Sorry about the small size. :-\

72Rallye440

Very interesting, I thought the emblems would be the same but there not even close! I have a list of questions I'm going to ask the seller after I get the title. I hope he can at least tell me where his dad bought the car.

Thanks for all your help and support everyone!

Dewey