News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 Bengal Charger????

Started by 72Rallye440, July 18, 2006, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: twilt on July 19, 2006, 08:39:46 PM
:haha: :haha:  still haven`t gotten over the Super Bowl, have you?

Didn't care about the Superbowl, other than being glad the Chickenhawks lost. I didn't really care who accomplished it. :icon_smile_cool:

Chris G.

I don't know much about the '68 Bengal Charger, but can someone answer these for me.

1. As far as I know, orange was not an available color in 1968. Was the car painted at the dealership?

2. The fender tag and broadcast sheet don't really mean much when it comes to these cars, correct? I am under the impression that it's a dealer promotion, and not a factory deal. If it was an option, what was the code?

Thanks.  :yesnod:

tan top

as far as i know it is only the 999 paint code , there might be more stuff though .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

66ragtop

O.K.  Here's what I know.  The Cincinnati Bengals joined the NFL in 1968.  At that time a local dealer named Tom Kneer in Western Hills ( a Cincinnati suburb) came up with the idea to make a special edition Charger.  So he contacted Chrysler and was told that the only orange color available was the color used for Michigan Dept. of Transportation trucks.  And in order to get the Chargers made in that color, he would have to order a minimum of 50 cars.  So he did and he couldn't give them away.  They sat in a storage lot in Western Hills forever.  So maybe that's why he doesn't care to talk about the Bengal Charger, he probably lost his A$$ on the deal.  As far as the emblems, don't know if they were on the cars or if he had them made and installed them.  Cars were Orange with black vinyl roofs and black butt stripe (except for a few).  None were Hemi's.  Mostly /6, 318 and 383's.  Google it and you may find out more  :yesnod:
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

ds440

^^What he said^^ ;)

Just to add, the stripe WAS added at the factory (from what I've read) even to NON-R/T cars - making it a rather unique car.  I believe of the cars ordered only a 'few' were R/Ts.  And I always thought that the emblems were made in Cincinnati and added to the cars at the dealership. ??? Can't remember where I read that though...

There was pretty lengthy thread about this at one point (wasn't there?).  It was called something like "Bandero Charger" or "Bandera Charger." :yesnod:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

72Rallye440

Does anyone know if Tom Kneer is still around here in Cincinnati? ??? It would be interesting to hear what he would have to say about the car.

Thanks,
      Dewey

66ragtop

Yes he is still around.  He lives on the north east side of Cincy but good luck talking to him about it.  I worked for him for 4 years before he sold out, nice guy and all but could not give a rats ass about the Bengal Charger.  During the time I worked there my buddy had the 3000 mile car.  I tried to talk to Tom about it and he just blew it off.  He's busy now spending his millions :yesnod:
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

greenpigs

Thats the first I have heard of a non 68 bungle Charger and I have been in Ohio 30+ years. I would bet the emblems are the only thing "special" about the car so a resto would be no harder than any other 3rd gen. Well cept the rust.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

tan top

i remember reading , don't no if it was on the net or in a magazine  that the Bengal emblems were dealer installed , or something like that . cannot be 100 % though
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

72Rallye440

Well, the deed is done, I own another Charger! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: We met at the DMV this morning and exchanged money and title. I need to figure out how to get the car out of a very steep driveway because the car has no brakes (at all)! After I do (if I do) I will take plenty of pictures for all of you to see.

I talked to him and asked about where his dad bought the car, etc and he doesn't remember. Apparently he was out of the house when the car was bought. Its been in his name since 1981 and his dad was the original owner. He thinks he has a packet containing the original paper work and maybe the window sticker!! He really wants to see the car fixed and put back on the road. I explained to him that with the proper paper work and doccumintation the car is worth fixing. If the car cant be documented than its just a orange Charger with two funky emblems on it. So I think he will take the time to try and find the info for me, lets hope anyway!

Stay tuned..............................................

Dewey

SeattleCharger

:o    :popcrn: :scared:   That would be cool to own such a rare car, I haven't heard of these before reading this thread, interesting for sure

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

72Rallye440

I ran by after work and pulled off the very rusty fender tags. They are hard to read because of the heavy rust. If anyone can help decode it please feel free, it would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that all the digits might not be correct. Not very many listed options on the car at all.

There are 2 tags. The one on the left just has a big H in the center.

The second reads:
67154 143831 661 868
V4X  U
LV2 B2X9 TX9 C02 077953
44 D34 WL21G2A142764

Thanks,
     Dewey

Alaskan_TA

V4X  U
LV2 B2X9 TX9 C02 077953
44 D34 WL21G2A142764

44 should be E44 - 318 CID
D34 - Automatic transmission, 904
W -  Dodge
L - Low price class
21 - 2 door coupe
G - 318 CID
2 - Last digit of model year, 1972
A - Lynch Road assembly plant
142764 - Sequentail VIN

LV2 - Likely EV2 - Hemi orange paint
B2X9 - Interior code, it decodes like this;
B - B class
2 - Vinyl bench seat
X - Black
TX9 - Upper door frame paint, black
C02 - Scheduled production date, December 2nd, 1971 (1972 model year)
077953 - Vehicle order number

V4X - Halo vinyl top, black
U - Build for US sale

That is all I can do, the other codes are specific to Lynch Road built cars.

Have you checked for broadcast sheets yet? Very cool car, I hope the owner can find the window sticker and other papers for you.  :yesnod:

T/Ake care,
Barry

2fast4u

the mystery continues................    :scope:
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

72Rallye440

Barry,
Thanks for taking the time to do that for me, I apprecite it!

I'm hoping that he comes through with some type of paper trail, at least I hope!

Thanks,
        Dewey

ChargerHound69

Did you ask him if he has original paperwork, or are you still waiting?  Also, ask for old pictures, if any.

72Rallye440

Ok, here it is, a very rusty 72 orange Dodge Charger. I don't know anymore about the car than I did last week. The only other odd thing on the car that I found was the solid black door panels along with the solid black dash insert.

72Rallye440

Black door panels and dash insert........

72Rallye440

I don't see myself keeping the car but we will see what happens. It basically has no options and very badly rusted. It would cost a fortune to restore and unless I come up with the "Bengal Charger" answers it just ain't gonna happen!

I really appreciate everyone's help and info on the car over the last week. If anyone finds out anything else please let me know! If there is someone really interested in the car I would be interested in talking to you.

Thanks,
       Dewey

hemi-hampton

Dewey, e-mail me at hemihampton@wowway.com  THANKS, LEON.

2fast4u

SO.....What about the broadcast sheet?  Any luck finding that yet?   It may answer some of the questions at hand here!!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

72Rallye440

2fast-
Looked behind the back seat but nothing there. I haven't checked anywhere else as of yet. There is nothing on the fender tag that lists anything odd. I'm still hopeful that someone on the board might find something about the car.

72Rallye440

I've decided to sell the Bengal Charger if I get the right offer. I've been thinking about it for several days and I just can't afford (time and money) another project. This car is in a condition that needs attention now. The money Il make from this car will help finance a few parts for my R/T. I'm sure I'll regret it down the road but I think its the right thing to do.

Thanks,
        Dewey

ds440

Hey Dewey,
  If you don't get any serious offers, you should consider taking the car to the Nats.  Who knows, maybe someone will see the car and know the story behind it (?).

Good luck.
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

72Rallye440

Thats a really good idea and I really thought about doing that, I appreciate it!

Dewey