News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Score - 6-Way Seat Track

Started by Shakey, July 17, 2006, 08:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

On my list of items wanted for my '69 Charger was a 6-Way Seat Track.  I've been told these were a rare option and the prices on e-bay confirm that.  There is one on there now with a "buy it now" price of $650.00 USD.  I have seen plenty of Charger's resting in salvage yards, I have not yet come across one of these, until now.

Last week I was in CA (I posted some pics in another thread) and found a few small yards near the coast.  Low and behold, a 6-way seat track in great condition.  The owner of the yard had told me that he absolutely was not going to sell any parts off of these cars but I talked him into it.

I consider myself lucky, not only for finding one complete with all the springs, but in great shape also with all the studs intact.

MassCharger73

Congrats on the score, but since you didn't mention a price....
1973 Charger

Ghoste

Yeah.  'Fess up man, how much did you pay?

6670charger

You'll love that 6-way when you get it installed.  I had a 6-way on my former 70 Charger.  I loved the versatility.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

dodgecharger-fan

Nice score! I was pleasantly surprised to find that my car had one as well. When I got the car, the seat was loose so I never really paid attention to it until I took the seats apart.

And you've got the chrome adjustment knobs, too. Good stuff. The eBay sellers have been hyping up the "RAREness" of those for a while now.

(I think I saw someone was repopping those now though.. I'll have to dig through my mags and links. Or maybe I just dreamed it.  :P )

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shakey

When I told the fella that I saw a seat track that I needed to complete the restoration he again told me "I am not selling parts off of those cars".

I had told him it was the one thing I needed to finish the job and again asked him "what are you gonna do with them anyways" he replied with "I might restore them one day".  Looking at this older, I am guessing 50ish, Mexican fella I said "what are you waiting for".  He then said "allright, make me an offer".  I hate this game as I am bidding with myself but quickly offered him $100.00 USD cash.  He countered with $150.00 USD, I said "sold" and shook his hand.  He then had another fella get the seat and remove the seat track.

I feel that $150.00 USD was a pretty fair price.  Between us guys, I would have paid $250.00 - $300.00 if he asked for it.  I honestly think that he was not aware of the fact that it was a 6-way seat track as I never used that term when I simply asked for the seat track.

Getting it home was another issue.  I had stopped at a UPS Store, bought a roll of tape and some bubble wrap and they let me wrap it all up right there in the store.  I then stopped at Saks Fifth Avenue and asked for two of their largest shopping bags, which the package barely fit into, and took it on the airplane as carry on baggage.  Going through the x-ray the TSA agent looked at me and said "I gots to know" and I told him what it was - no problem.  It fit in the overhead compartment and it now sits in the basement of the farmhouse, waiting to be restored.

I know he wasn't aware of the rarity of these units and honestly, I don't feel guilty about my purchase because I plan on keeping it and putting it to use in my own car.  If I were a "flipper", I might feel a bit on the kniving side - would you?

I am in New Mexico tonight and plan on stopping by a few salvage yards on my way to Texas.  I'll post some photos of anything interesting.

RT DAVE

Quote from: Shakey on July 18, 2006, 08:23:32 PM
I know he wasn't aware of the rarity of these units and honestly, I don't feel guilty about my purchase because I plan on keeping it and putting it to use in my own car.  If I were a "flipper", I might feel a bit on the kniving side - would you?

Hell no!  As long as you aren't giving an 80 yo widow $50 for her 10K mile hemicuda, I wouldn't sweat it.  Also, what's the difference if you were flipping it?  Why does everybody blame them for the high prices?  If people weren't stupid enough (my opinion here, you might not be stupid given some circumstances) to pay 10x what something's worth, we wouldn't have any price problems now, would we.   Good find.  I'll give you $300 for it!   :yesnod:
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

topduarte

Good find!!

I do not know why people get upset if you flip something for a profit!!

If it goes to my project or hobby, who gives a shit!!

Ghoste

That is a good deal then and I wouldn't feel guilty about it either.  He "might restore them someday"?  No he won't.  Of course, if someone else buys that car and finds a broadcast sheet and discovers the missing part on e-bay for 3500 dollars, THEN, you should feel very very guilty.  :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good deal Mike!   makes a nice addition

I paid $75 for mine though :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

You got a good deal Shakey.

I found out last year a guy I know from town put '68 buckets in his '69 because the covers were better and sent his original 6 way seat to the scrapper.  :rotz:   He said I could have had it if for nothing. :'(
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 18, 2006, 07:56:00 AM
Nice score! I was pleasantly surprised to find that my car had one as well. When I got the car, the seat was loose so I never really paid attention to it until I took the seats apart.

And you've got the chrome adjustment knobs, too. Good stuff. The eBay sellers have been hyping up the "RAREness" of those for a while now.

(I think I saw someone was repopping those now though.. I'll have to dig through my mags and links. Or maybe I just dreamed it.  :P )

The knobs are reproduced.  Tonys Parts has them.  Near the bottom of his New Products page:

http://www.tonysparts.com/newproducts.htm
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

tipopiola

Good score on the 6 way!  I can't even convince my wife to try a 3 way  :-X !  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Telvis

Quote from: tipopiola on July 20, 2006, 08:21:40 PM
Good score on the 6 way!  I can't even convince my wife to try a 3 way  :-X !  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

:rotz:

MassCharger73

1973 Charger

PocketThunder

Quote from: tipopiola on July 20, 2006, 08:21:40 PM

I can..   :devil:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

Where's the widow with a Hemi Cuda?...  :devil: