News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crazy A/C swap ?'s

Started by jackel440, July 15, 2006, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel440

All right its hot out and my A/c just doesn't put out anymore.I did the swap to r-134 ,but unfortunatly i didn't change any components.It worked good for the first year,but afte 4 yrs now and even keeping it charged it just doesn't put out hardly any cool air.I did some searches and i see i should have changed the condensor and dryer.I thought about buying one of those new conversion kits to replace the compressor and hoses and condensor.
  Well money is tight gettn ready for the nats and I thought about trying to find a condensor and maybe a compressor(new modern stuff) from the junk yard and fabbing them into my car.Is this a worth while adventure to save a few bucks,or do i just sweat it out till later and do it right?
  I don't mind fabricating the brackets and stuff.I would think there would be components that could be made to work and perform well.what would i need to find to update my ride?I hate to haul the wife and kids around in the heat the rest of the year.
  Or do i try and rework the factory system try to improve its performance ::)
  Anyone got some ideas they can shoot my way ;)

defiance

The dryer is an item you have to replace any time you 'open' the system, so that part is a definite.

assuming all parts basically 'work', The condenser is the single most important factor in a/c performance.  More efficiency and more airflow across the condenser translates to cooler refrigerant, which translates to cooler vent temps.  So, assuming everything works, that would be the first recommended step in increasing efficiency.  Look for parallel flow condensers designed specifically for r134.  Also, a cheap electric pusher fan or two in front of the condenser, set to come on with the a/c, can work wonders for efficiency. 

Just to be sure, you probably want to verify everything else in the car functions, though. 

- Have you verified there are no leaks?  If there are, continually re-charging will work short-term, but this will eventually allow moisture into the system, which will kill a compressor or expansion valve.

- If it's charged, a quick operating hi and low side gauge check can confirm that the compressor and expansion valve are functioning properly. 

Other than that, if your compressor is working, there are performance (a/c and power) advantages to changing to a sanden or other aftermarket, compressor, but they're not as dramatic as an upgraded condenser, as far as a/c performance goes.  Of course, they are much less demanding and a LOT lighter, so you might still consider it.  If your compressor leaks r134, of course, that might be a really good idea.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: jackel440 on July 15, 2006, 11:34:27 AM
  All right its hot out and my A/c just doesn't put out anymore.I did the swap to r-134 ,but unfortunatly i didn't change any components.It worked good for the first year,but afte 4 yrs now and even keeping it charged it just doesn't put out hardly any cool air.I did some searches and i see i should have changed the condensor and dryer.I thought about buying one of those new conversion kits to replace the compressor and hoses and condensor.

I have a Mopar muscle magazine of 1999 were they say only  REALLY needs are change  desicant gel on dryer ( or complete dryer ), Expansion Valve and O rings. Hoses JUST IF WERE CHANGED earlier using R12 kind hoses, but as far you still have perfect original stock ones they are enough seasoned to keep the gas on system.

On an A/C parts dealers shop here they told me that expanison valve really is enough to open it a little bit ( just one turn ) inside with an Allen key.

There is several topics talking about that on the board. On of them talking about in fact the R12 and R134 gas upgrade started by myself.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jackel440

Defiance  Thanks for the info and you too Nacho :yesnod:
My system doesn't seem to be leaking and everything seems to be in order.
a buddy and i have a set of guages we bought together and he used to work on reefers for semi's and he helped me on converting my car with what i had bought at the time.With the guages evry thing checked out.
I have read that the condensor is the issue.Do you think it is possble to find any condensor that will fit(dimension wise) and make it work?go measure some and see were the fittings are ,and or modify one to fit my application?
I'm not sure what the right avenue to pursue here is.I think that the condensor may be what would help me.

Nacho-RT74

about condensors... what I have heard:
As far they are to support R134 then is not problem. The problem on modern cars was the aluminium condensors are not good with the very corrosive R134 ( R12 is not so corrosive ) Older cars with brass condensor don't have that problem since brass support the gas.

once and again... is what I have known.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

defiance

Also, though, condensers built when R12 was around worked fine at a bit lower efficiency than what is needed for R134.  Not a huge amount, but a bit.  So probably 90% of the time an r12 condenser will be 'overengineered' enough to work, but you occasionally see are r12 condensers that just don't shed enough heat when converted.  Parallel flow is more efficient, so that's usually the preferred upgrade path.  Or, putting a fan on it could be enough.  I did both, myself :P

I've always heard a good way to test to see if condenser efficiency is a problem is to get the A/C going, put a thermometer on the vents, and record the temp on the thermometer after a few minutes.  Then, mist a little water on the condenser for a minute or so, and check the vent temps.  This will dramatically increase the condenser efficiency for a bit.  If the temps come down, you'd benefit from a fan or condenser upgrade.  If the temps don't change, the problem is elsewhere.